Predators and monsters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my predator tank
img_1806258_0_81c13be656257180d607c500e23d88e5.jpg

kdpuffer said:
Well after a trip to my LFS yesterday I learned he was getting some snakeheads in. After another trip down there today I am so getting a couple. They aren't illegal here and I am not releasing them into the wild. About an hour after he got them he was kind enough to feed them for my and they are savage.

They are an invasive species right. They look suuuuper viscous

Yes they are an invasive species. It's kinda ironic he got them in cause I just watched the snakehead episode of river monsters last weekend. In the US they have been somehow introduced into the wild and have spread like a plague, consequently they are illegal in alot of places, in Canada they are not yet. They are savage predators that eat anything and attack like something out of a horror story. They will fit right in with my tigerfish. I've done some research on them and the red snakehead is the name given to the fry/juveniles of the giant snakehead. After I watched the snakehead episode of river monsters the first time a year or so ago I found the giant snakehead to be a rather pretty fish with really nice markings and coloration, wanted one ever since and now I have them set aside I learn they are the species I really wanted, bonus. I have a video of them I took earlier and I'll post a link once I upload it to YouTube.

kdpuffer said:
Yes they are an invasive species. It's kinda ironic he got them in cause I just watched the snakehead episode of river monsters last weekend. In the US they have been somehow introduced into the wild and have spread like a plague, consequently they are illegal in alot of places, in Canada they are not yet. They are savage predators that eat anything and attack like something out of a horror story. They will fit right in with my tigerfish. I've done some research on them and the red snakehead is the name given to the fry/juveniles of the giant snakehead. After I watched the snakehead episode of river monsters the first time a year or so ago I found the giant snakehead to be a rather pretty fish with really nice markings and coloration, wanted one ever since and now I have them set aside I learn they are the species I really wanted, bonus. I have a video of them I took earlier and I'll post a link once I upload it to YouTube.

I had an uncle who kept snakeheads for a while. I remember watching them as a kid. Too bad he doesn't keep fish anymore :/. How big to giant snakeheads gget? They need to make more episodes of river monsters!!! The goonch catfish reminds me of a giant pleco haha

kdpuffer said:
Love it jeta that was a good chuckle, thank you. But seriously that tank is not suitable for 4 predators, they get huge lol.

Nah, I'm sure they'll just grow to the size of their tank... ROFL

No monster fish for me (yet...) but I love my little predators.

the giant snakehead get to be 3-4 feet depending on the source the info comes from. my tiger fish willl also get to about 3 feet so plans are in the works to get a big huge tank. the cool thing with the giant snakehead is their coloring and markings, they have a nice blue sheen to them. i agree with needding more river monsters, they came out with a few shows like it but havent seen any new ones in a while. of the three shows i know about river monsters and monster fish were my favs, fish warrior was kinda wierd, he made out with the fish lol. my little girl loves watching these shows with me, good family time. she also likes watching tanked. i like your puffer fish, i have always wanted one. my last name is puffer so it fits to have one as a family mascott. im hoping to pick up my snakeheads today and introduce them to "the flash" thats the name my daughter came up with for my tigerfish. will uppdate if i get them. in the meantime i have a pic of a giant snakehead courtesy of google and am uploading the video i took of them yesterday.

kdpuffer said:

Very cool! Are you just going to buy the 2? Are they schooling fish?

Out of curiosity, how big of a tank will you need to get for an adult tigerfish?

I am getting 2, they are a schooling fish when young but they grow they split up and then eventually form breeding pairs and guard their eggs/fry with ferocity. I am hoping to get a tank that's at least 300 gallons, hopefully closer to 500. My tigerfish is the vittatus so they don't get as big as a Goliath. They reach approx 3 feet in length. I will likely build a custom tank that offers a larger footprint and not as much height as a typical tank. It will also need tight fitting lids as snakehead are jumpers. They also breathe air which you can actually seem them do in the video I posted. I am stoked, taking the little guy with me here shortly to go get them.

Oh on a side note, I am so getting the season of river monsters with the tigerfish and snakehead, with luck I'll watch it tonight with the kids.

kdpuffer said:
I am getting 2, they are a schooling fish when young but they grow they split up and then eventually form breeding pairs and guard their eggs/fry with ferocity. I am hoping to get a tank that's at least 300 gallons, hopefully closer to 500. My tigerfish is the vittatus so they don't get as big as a Goliath. They reach approx 3 feet in length. I will likely build a custom tank that offers a larger footprint and not as much height as a typical tank. It will also need tight fitting lids as snakehead are jumpers. They also breathe air which you can actually seem them do in the video I posted. I am stoked, taking the little guy with me here shortly to go get them.

Thats so cool!! Are there any other fish that you can add eventually? Red bellys?

That is awesome, will the 300-500 be built into the wall?

kdpuffer said:
Oh on a side note, I am so getting the season of river monsters with the tigerfish and snakehead, with luck I'll watch it tonight with the kids.

Lol think of it as a study session

kdpuffer said:

What family are snakeheads in? Are they labyrinth fish? I like their markings. U dont think he and the tigerfish will fight? I wish I had the space for a tank like that

Back
Top Bottom