Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broke EF said:
Yeah, Im not sure if I will be around tomorrow or now. I have that other hobby on the weekend :) That is part of why I did the 50% today. But I will be on top of it starting Saturday for sure.

While we are on the topic, how can I reduce the bubbles when I fill the tank back up. I'm using a python, and it just pumps out micro bubbles like crazy the whole time.

Sean

Hm, iv never used a python, so this is a guess. Use a plate to kind of make less current? Spray onto the plate, which will make less of a current?

I'm not sure if I am just using it wrong, or what the deal is. When I start putting water in, it agitates the water in the larger tube at the end, and micro bubble just literally pump out of the end like crazy. Like I am using a fog machine. Ill have to keep messing with it, maybe I just have my sink too high and that's the root cause of the issue.

On another similar note, my tank has had a slight haze to it for a little while now. I cant remember if it was hazy before I added the fish, or shortly after. During Cycling the tank was crystal clear unless I did something to stir up the sand. Now it has a light white haze all the time. You can actually see the shadow created in the water from the center brace. My water parameters are testing fine. I did add the bubble wands somewhat recently, but I cant say I have ever had a problem from bubbles in a tank. Could it be that the filters just need to be replaced? If that is the case, what is the best method for changing the filters (which contain the BB)? I will have my new second filter next week, and then will have 3 of the same filter pads in the tank (2 in the current one, and one in the new filter). Should I take the pads out of the old one and put them in the tank behind the filters, one in each unit? That way I would have one seeded filter in each unit pre-filter so that the BB would be flowing into the new filters, but new filters cleaning the water before going into the tank.

I'm afraid to change filters if you cant tell. That is another reason I got a second filter, so that the BB is spread out on 3 filter pads so that I can change them one at at time (once everything is up and running for a long time) and cut down on any cycling.

Sean

I'm not sure if I am just using it wrong, or what the deal is. When I start putting water in, it agitates the water in the larger tube at the end, and micro bubble just literally pump out of the end like crazy. Like I am using a fog machine. Ill have to keep messing with it, maybe I just have my sink too high and that's the root cause of the issue.

On another similar note, my tank has had a slight haze to it for a little while now. I cant remember if it was hazy before I added the fish, or shortly after. During Cycling the tank was crystal clear unless I did something to stir up the sand. Now it has a light white haze all the time. You can actually see the shadow created in the water from the center brace. My water parameters are testing fine. I did add the bubble wands somewhat recently, but I cant say I have ever had a problem from bubbles in a tank. Could it be that the filters just need to be replaced? If that is the case, what is the best method for changing the filters (which contain the BB)? I will have my new second filter next week, and then will have 3 of the same filter pads in the tank (2 in the current one, and one in the new filter). Should I take the pads out of the old one and put them in the tank behind the filters, one in each unit? That way I would have one seeded filter in each unit pre-filter so that the BB would be flowing into the new filters, but new filters cleaning the water before going into the tank.

I'm afraid to change filters if you cant tell. That is another reason I got a second filter, so that the BB is spread out on 3 filter pads so that I can change them one at at time (once everything is up and running for a long time) and cut down on any cycling.

Sean

No need to change filter media at all. Give the filter media a swish in old tank water during a water change; this will clear out any extra debris that may be getting back into the water. Also it could be micro bubbles from the air stones and/or the filter, maybe? Try turning each off for a while and see if the haze clears?

I think I am going to swish the filters during my next water change. I will probably do one, one week and then the other the following week just to be safe. I will start by turning off the bubbles, as they were only on from about the time I started adding fish.

Sean

I think I am going to swish the filters during my next water change. I will probably do one, one week and then the other the following week just to be safe. I will start by turning off the bubbles, as they were only on from about the time I started adding fish.

Sean

How many water changes are you doing per week and how large? if your nitrates are rising like that in between water changes you may be pushing your stocking limit and/or not doing enough water changes. 30 nitrate isn't the end of the world; over 40 could be worrisome but nitrates building like that between water changes could mean either of the things I mentioned above. If you add a Pleco in there it's going to add a lot to the bioload and nitrates are going to be much higher between water changes. Just something to think about.

As for the Python, I haven't used that brand but I have an Aqueon changer which is similar. Is there a handle valve on the end of the Python and then another on the faucet end? I found that when refilling, opening the valve up all the way causes the water to shoot out, but if I turn it down the water trickles out more slowly. Might be worth a try playing with the valves and seeing if it makes a difference.

Well, lets see here. I haven't been very faithful on the water changes. I did about a 40% when I added the Lemons on the 1st. While I was acclimating the Lemons I tested for Nitrates and they were HIGH. I probably should have been more on top of watching the parameters after that. Then I tested yesterday and they were,

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates ~30

So then I did about a 50% water change. I am not home today, and plan on checking everything again tomorrow, along with swishing the filters, and about a 25% water change. Starting tomorrow I am going to keep a much closer eye on the parameters since I am almost completely stocked and see how it is doing.

Here is a quick shot of the tank showing the haze I am referring too. I was maybe thinking it was a bacteria bloom, but after reading about it, and watching some videos I don't think that's what it is.

IMG0885-XL.jpg

Hopefully I can get back to my crystal clear water, and happy healthy fish!!! Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Sean

Tank looks a little more clear today. Just a quick cell phone pic. Now I gotta test and probably a water change.

Sean

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111210_154133.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111210_154133.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 62
Tested the water just a little while ago, came up with

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20

Should I change the water, or wait a couple more days? Can you change the water too often? I also added in another Diamond to replace the one that passed away the other day.

Sean

Broke EF said:
Tested the water just a little while ago, came up with

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20

Should I change the water, or wait a couple more days? Can you change the water too often? I also added in another Diamond to replace the one that passed away the other day.

Sean

Looks good, maybe one tomorrow morning or late tonight, i dont think it is even possible to do too many water changes, because almost all of the BB is in the filter

I run a classic Eheim 2215 canister filter and an aqueon 30 in my 55 gal community. The Eheim does the heavy lifting and keeps all my BBs. The aqueon adds another level of filtration. The guy at my LFS says you can never have enough filtration, just check your nitrates and nitrites as you said, and of course ammonia.

good luck!

You can never do too many water changes. You may want to do two water changes per week if nitrates are rising quickly between the one water change. Adding another filter may help as well. If nitrates are 20 now I'd do another water change, but that's me. :) Nitrates aren't as toxic to fish as ammonia or nitrite but you still want to keep them down, <40 is good, <20 is best.

OK, Checked it again just a little bit ago and the Nitrates were solid 20, maybe a little darker. So I did a 25-30% water change.

I also turned off the air pump and it seemed to help slightly with my cloudiness, but it didn't fix it 100%. Now its cloudy from stirring up the sand, so I cant really experiment for a little while.

So I even though I checked my stocking plan a thousand times BEFORE I got my fish, now do we think I am over stocked (before I am even done with my stocking plan)? I sure hope not since I would really like to finish my original plan (so that means the Starlight Pleco (ordered, but about a month out), 2 GBR's, and 1 Angel) along with what I already have in the tank. On the other hand I don't want to have to do water changes every other day. Once a week is fine by me, MAYBE twice a week, but that's about it.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF said:
OK, Checked it again just a little bit ago and the Nitrates were solid 20, maybe a little darker. So I did a 25-30% water change.

I also turned off the air pump and it seemed to help slightly with my cloudiness, but it didn't fix it 100%. Now its cloudy from stirring up the sand, so I cant really experiment for a little while.

So I even though I checked my stocking plan a thousand times BEFORE I got my fish, now do we think I am over stocked (before I am even done with my stocking plan)? I sure hope not since I would really like to finish my original plan (so that means the Starlight Pleco (ordered, but about a month out), 2 GBR's, and 1 Angel) along with what I already have in the tank. On the other hand I don't want to have to do water changes every other day. Once a week is fine by me, MAYBE twice a week, but that's about it.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Sean

46 gallon? Your stock is fine, eventually with only a 25-30% once a week

What do you mean eventually? Is my Nitrates rising every couple days part of a cycle that will die down eventually? Thanks for the help.

Sean

Broke EF said:
What do you mean eventually? Is my Nitrates rising every couple days part of a cycle that will die down eventually? Thanks for the help.

Sean

Yes. I dont see how it could rise so often with pretty few fish in a 46 gallon tank unless it is still cycling. Your tank needs to build up more BB, then your nitrates will be under control for the most part

Sorry, what's the stock again currently and what else are you planning to add?

Nitrates won't die down on their own; they're the end product of the cycle. If they are rising high and you don't have nitrates in your tap water it likely means your fish are putting out a good quantity of ammonia which eventually gets turned to nitrate. I'd have to look at your stock again to see if the fish are causing it or if it's something else (although not sure what unless your'e massively overfeeding).

I cycled it with 4ppm of ammonia daily for over a month, and it showed that it was cycled for almost 2 weeks before I added fish (but was doing 4ppm ammonia daily that whole time).

Current stock is;
8 x Lemon Tetra
8 x Diamond Tetra
7 x Panda Cory

To be added;
1 x Starlight Pleco (L183)
2 x German Blue Ram
1 x Angel Fish

I may be over feeding, but I don't think I am excessively over feeding. I am giving them a pinch of food once a day. I have done a pinch twice a day, but now I went back to once daily in case I am over feeding.

As far as my stock, I was asking about it and researching it for over a month and nobody (or place) said that it may be over stocked. According to AqAdvisor (I know its not 100% correct), with all of my planned fish I would be 91% stocked, and only need a 27% water change once a week.

Could it possibly be that my BB colony is too large because I was dosing the ammonia so high for such a long time? Maybe it will start to fall off as it adjust to the sock level? I going to test my water again in a few minutes. Ill report back what I get.

Thanks,
Sean

Well you're definitely not overstocked so that isn't it. The BB does adjust to the load in the tank. Cycling to 4 PPM is designed to be overkill. Fish generally won't produce that much ammonia so yes after a while the bacteria will adjust down to the current stocking in the tank. When you add more fish you increase the demand on the BB which can cause temporary spikes (usually ammonia) until the bacteria adjusts, but I don't think that's the case here.

So no nitrate in your tap water, correct? Do you have live plants that may be decaying in the tank somewhere? Have you swished your filter media in old tank water during a water change recently? This can loosen up any debris that may be in there. Has a fish died that you never found? Do you vacuum the substrate (gravel or sand?)?

OK, I tested the water (actually a while ago, but I had some company over) and here are the results

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

So that is better than it has been. I started thinking back on it all, and it does seem to have been generally leveling off over time. For example, after I did a 100% water change, it was the next day (or maybe 2) when I went to add in my fist fish and the Nitrates were very high (possibly off the scale). So as I was getting ready to add the fish I did a 50% water change. Then it wasn't too long after that when I went to add more, and it was the same thing, but not as high. Then a few days later, same again but not as high. Then again a few days ago, and not very high but I did a change anyway. Now it has been the same amount of time, and they tested nice and low.

So with all of that non-technical info, and going off of memory, I think that things are "settling down" so to speak. That makes me much happier than when I thought I was over stocked.

I have not yet cleaned my filters, but its something that I need to do. I want to wait until I have the new filter installed before I do anything. I think I have some sand in my current filter, and want to get it out, but again I want to have the other filter up and running first. That is not to say that I am going to scrub down the current filter, I just want the water flow from the new one going for the fish.

No nitrates in the tap. No live plants. No cleaning of filters. No dead fish, I try to keep an eye out for this every day (I worry). I do vacuum when I do water changes, but the sand is pretty clean most of the time.

I will just keep an eye on everything for a while, hopefully it is all good. As soon as my water is to my liking (probably really need to shake out the filters) I will get some good pictures.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Sean

Back
Top Bottom