Tank finally cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smaddox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie here, who learned the hard way about "cycling". Our local pet supermarket really didn't provide us with all the info we needed to truly be successful. I got the tank for my 6 y/o and we've had to go through losing several fish...finally i think we are fully cycled now.

I understand the cycle process NOW, but sure would have been helpful to know up front. However, my question is this: Why is having a fully cycled tank important? Does this mean less frequent water changes and/or gravel vacuuming?

Also, I've been reading all over the internet about "live plants" and how they help with the nitrification process. Right now, we have all fake plants. Should I consider a live plant or moss ball?

We have a 10 gallon tank, 1 black Mollie (one of our first fish, made it through the whole cycle:)) 1 dalmation mollie, 2 tiger barbs, 1 sword tail, 1 cherry barb, 1 pleco.

Tonight tank showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, small amount of nitrate...

When your tank is cycling, the ammonia and nitrites can have sudden increases or "spikes". These unstable water conditions are harmful to the fishes health (as youve seen). Some fish can tolerate these changes better than others. Even if a fish survives the cycling process, it may have damage to its gills or organs which will reduce its lifespan. :(

The mollys, platy and swordtail in your tank all have large bio-loads (they poop a lot), so you'll still need to do frequent water changes. I think pleco's have a larger bio-load as well.

Speaking of pleco: Do you know what kind it is? Most of those will get quite large and outgrow a 10 gallon tank. I believe there are "dwarf" varieties that stay small though.

Also, keep an eye on the Tiger Barbs. They can be somewhat aggressive, especially in small schools. If you see them nipping at the fins of your other fish, or just notice that the other fish have ragged fins, then you may need to re-home them.

Speaking of pleco: Do you know what kind it is? Most of those will get quite large and outgrow a 10 gallon tank. I believe there are "dwarf" varieties that stay small

Your thinking of the bristlenose pleco which can be small as 3 inchs.

I am not calling you cheap or anything but your prob went with the cheapest sucker fish as they would call them which prob be a common pleco who can get up to 24 inchals. I made the same mistake when in started with fish keeping. Also there bio load is HUGE.

Your thinking of the bristlenose pleco which can be small as 3 inchs.

I am not calling you cheap or anything but your prob went with the cheapest sucker fish as they would call them which prob be a common pleco who can get up to 24 inchals. I made the same mistake when in started with fish keeping. Also there bio load is HUGE.

it is the common pleco. I plan on exchanging it for corys and/or a crab. Any suggestions?

When your tank is cycling, the ammonia and nitrites can have sudden increases or "spikes". These unstable water conditions are harmful to the fishes health (as youve seen). Some fish can tolerate these changes better than others. Even if a fish survives the cycling process, it may have damage to its gills or organs which will reduce its lifespan. :(

The mollys, platy and swordtail in your tank all have large bio-loads (they poop a lot), so you'll still need to do frequent water changes. I think pleco's have a larger bio-load as well.

Speaking of pleco: Do you know what kind it is? Most of those will get quite large and outgrow a 10 gallon tank. I believe there are "dwarf" varieties that stay small though.

Also, keep an eye on the Tiger Barbs. They can be somewhat aggressive, especially in small schools. If you see them nipping at the fins of your other fish, or just notice that the other fish have ragged fins, then you may need to re-home them.

I got the tiger barbs b/c it appears the black mollie bullies everyone so I figured I needed some fish that could "hold their own" so to speak.

I'm still looking for clarification as to why a fully cycled tank is important. Does minimize PWC and vacuuming?

I'm still looking for clarification as to why a fully cycled tank is important. Does minimize PWC and vacuuming?

Yes. To keep an uncycled tank at safe levels you would need to do massive water changes almost every day. Cycling creates bacteria that eats the more harmful ammonia and nitrites and converts them to nitrates which build up more slowly allowing you to do water changes much less frequently (like once a week) without exposing the fish to toxic conditions.

Awesome! thanks for the info! If you don't mind I have a couple more questions. 1. would cory's be a good replacement for the pleco? 2. when I do water changes, should I also try to gravel vac the entire tank each time or every other pwc? 3. real plants, should I consider adding a real plant or moss ball to help with spikes?

Newbie here, who learned the hard way about "cycling". Our local pet supermarket really didn't provide us with all the info we needed to truly be successful. I got the tank for my 6 y/o and we've had to go through losing several fish...finally i think we are fully cycled now.

I understand the cycle process NOW, but sure would have been helpful to know up front. However, my question is this: Why is having a fully cycled tank important? Does this mean less frequent water changes and/or gravel vacuuming?

Also, I've been reading all over the internet about "live plants" and how they help with the nitrification process. Right now, we have all fake plants. Should I consider a live plant or moss ball?

We have a 10 gallon tank, 1 black Mollie (one of our first fish, made it through the whole cycle:)) 1 dalmation mollie, 2 tiger barbs, 1 sword tail, 1 cherry barb, 1 pleco.

Tonight tank showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, small amount of nitrate...

Great job on getting the tank cycled but unfortunately you have some MAJOR issues with your stocking of fish. You're incredibly overstocked with the pleco by itself but you've figured that out. Mollies need a bigger tank as does the tiger barbs. The tiger barbs are also a semi aggressive fish who does not fit well in a community tank unless its in a much bigger tank. It's also a schoaling fish who need at least 6-7 to curb aggression. The cherry barbs are a schoaling fish also and needs to be in a group of at least 6 and at last a 15-20 gallon tank. The swordtail needs a 20 gallon at least also. With a 10 gallon tank your options are very limited.

I would not get any cories for awhile until the tank becomes well established. You just got cycled, give it a few months. When you do get them make sure you find a specie that is ok for a 10 gallon and to get at least 3, they prefer at least 5 but with a 10 gallon you're limited.

thanks catfish lover...I'm starting to realize my local pet shop doesn't know what's going on...they were telling me I could still add more fish...glad I didn't listen. Being that this is where I am right now, getting rid of the pleco would help with the load, however, what can I replace him with? also, would you mind helping answer some other questions I have listed above? I'd greatly appreciate that...I'm not really interested in getting another larger tank at the moment. I think replacing the pleco will help for starters...the tigers are of the smaller variety...and my daughter will freak out if I take these fish back...not sure what to do...

I would suggest doing a search on fish that is ok for a 10 gallon. Just trying to let you understand just how limited you are with it.

To be honest all the fish need to be re-homed as none are fit for a 10 gallon. Have you thought of having a betta? That would work. You're just not going to be able to put a lot in a 10, it gets filled up quickly.

thanks...let's say I take the 10G tank to my office (i'd like a puffer fish for me!) and replace it with a larger tank...what size tank would I need to accommodate what I have now, minus the pleco, but add 3 cories...

I would suggest doing a search on fish that is ok for a 10 gallon. Just trying to let you understand just how limited you are with it.

sorry but would have to agree, tiger barbs like to dart through the water, they really cant do that in a 10 gal, barbs are best kept in groups of 5 or more. you could do a group of 5 neon tetras, or guppies, do a little research and find whats best for the tank and for the fish

thanks...let's say I take the 10G tank to my office (i'd like a puffer fish for me!) and replace it with a larger tank...what size tank would I need to accommodate what I have now, minus the pleco, but add 3 cories...

Go for a 29 if you can if not a 20 gallon long. You need a tank with some length as these two are 30 inches long

Back
Top Bottom