Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tim ,i would just skip the ghosts from now on and just get him a damsel or 2 ...
When you say brine i assume they are tiny mysis sized things right?..Would be hard to tell if he ate any of those(and probably just too small for him to even bother with) or if they just got sucked up in the filter too..
Plus you'll definitely notice a damsel in his belly..Don't be worried about it looking too big for it,,,He'll eat it...(y)
Remember its not a baby clown fish or goby ,,he'll eat things the same size he is

Oh the straw ,,i guess it doesn't matter,just makes it easier to stick the food on the end of it

Good luck with him,,i know he'll be just fine

Tim ,i would just skip the ghosts from now on and just get him a damsel or 2 ...
When you say brine i assume they are tiny mysis sized things right?..Would be hard to tell if he ate any of those(and probably just too small for him to even bother with) or if they just got sucked up in the filter too..
Plus you'll definitely notice a damsel in his belly..Don't be worried about it looking too big for it,,,He'll eat it...(y)
Remember its not a baby clown fish or goby ,,he'll eat things the same size he is

Oh the straw ,,i guess it doesn't matter,just makes it easier to stick the food on the end of it

Good luck with him,,i know he'll be just fine

I totally agree on the ghosts - figured I'd give it a try and now I'm over it...

As for the damsels / chromis - I'm all for it, I'm heading out to an LFS now that I don't normally go to looking for tiny versions of those fish. Remember my angler is only 7/8" so even at the same size the fish has to be pretty small.

And for the brine - yes they are mysis sized, and just now I added a bunch more and watched him eat 2 for sure and possibly a third, but I couldn't tell if he got it or missed it. He is so fast its crazy!

I'll update later with my findings :fish2:

TLTGF said:
I totally agree on the ghosts - figured I'd give it a try and now I'm over it...

As for the damsels / chromis - I'm all for it, I'm heading out to an LFS now that I don't normally go to looking for tiny versions of those fish. Remember my angler is only 7/8" so even at the same size the fish has to be pretty small.

And for the brine - yes they are mysis sized, and just now I added a bunch more and watched him eat 2 for sure and possibly a third, but I couldn't tell if he got it or missed it. He is so fast its crazy!

I'll update later with my findings :fish2:

Get shark formula and cut it into four. I dont know what's in it but every fish LOOOVEES IT!

Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

I found two 1" chromises at the LFS so I brought them home and am floating them now. They were the smallest they had and I've seen, but I still think it might be a bit big for now. Time will tell!

Light are off for now while acclimating and I'll probably leave them off for the night.

I feed my bigger one an OC trigger formula cube once a month ,basically the same stuff as the shark formula .
If the chromis is about the same size i bet it will be gone within 24-36 hours...

Its cool to have someone to talk anglers with now:lol:..

TLTGF said:
Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

I found two 1" chromises at the LFS so I brought them home and am floating them now. They were the smallest they had and I've seen, but I still think it might be a bit big for now. Time will tell!

Light are off for now while acclimating and I'll probably leave them off for the night.

You could have a chromis/angler tank! Haha, so isnt that some expensive food? Will the little guy always eat live?

You could have a chromis/angler tank! Haha, so isnt that some expensive food? Will the little guy always eat live?
Nah,,
4 bucks for a weeks worth of food ...if /when he eats it he'll be good for a week+...its well worth it in the beginning, till they get used to the frozen foo on a stick:)

FTMMWS said:
Nah,,
4 bucks for a weeks worth of food ...if /when he eats it he'll be good for a week+...its well worth it in the beginning, till they get used to the frozen foo on a stick:)

Oh so 1 a week basically? I can see how its a good way to get them eating! Then it is cheaper fromthere on out right?

Oh so 1 a week basically? I can see how its a good way to get them eating! Then it is cheaper fromthere on out right?
Oh yeah,as long as you get them eating frozen..then you can feed them table shrimp,scallops and frozen cubes

I didn't - just tossed 'em in... I looked at them when I bought them to visually inspect for anything, but in this case I am leaving it to chance...

How do you qt the prey fish?
Never do ,,Even if the food/fish had ick it will be digested in the angler..So unless the fish stays alive for more than a day or 2 theres almost no risk ..
Anglers are very resistant too it also

Awesome - I'm loving this more and more!
Oh yeah,,it gets better and better too:D
The bigger he gets the more he'll need to eat ,,not necessarily more often but more food..
Do not over feed him ,,it can cause them to stop eating altogether

FTMMWS said:
Never do ,,Even if the food/fish had ick it will be digested in the angler..So unless the fish stays alive for more than a day or 2 theres almost no risk ..
Anglers are very resistant too it also

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if I still was getting one if it was an issue.

Not sure if you're still considering mollies. I was reading the biggest issue with feeding fresh water fish to saltwater fish was the freshwater in their systems. So give them a while to get some saltwater in their bellies. But I wouldn't want to risk any harm to this guy if I wasn't 100% certain, I'm sure you've taken all this into consideration. ?

Here is the latest cycle news:

Ammo: .25ppm, trites: 5.0ppm, trates: 160ppm

Moving right along...

Attachments

• image-2255422754.jpg
    image-2255422754.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 110
In case anyone forgot, the shrimp went in on 4/6/12, so this is day (9) of the cycle.

Nice tank is falling in line and my lfs has one of these anglers you have but a little bigger I am so tempted to get it and put it in my refuge until I get a tank up for it

Back
Top Bottom