To Puff? Or not to Puff? Thats the question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RafasRumor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK. So, I've fallen in love for the (dwarf and Green spotted) puffers.:hide:
Yes, I am still a beginner fish owner, and I know therefore puffers may not be the best choice.
But I am a life long dedicated animal owner/trainer and I do know myself well enough to know if I'm gonna go for it, I will be 100% committed.

My main reason for questioning the puffers is:
I would like a smaller tank, 5 gallons or so, in my bedroom. I would like to have active, fun and personality kinda fish in it.
But... I dont like the idea of a fish kept alone. I know, I've read puffers like being alone, but, I dont know....
Also the bedroom isnt really the most exciting room of the house (most the time ;) ) and as I understand, puffers can get bored and do like to see what every one is doing and stuff.
The frequent water changes etc, that I am not worried about and I do not mind at all.

I guess my question is, will I be able to make a puffer (dwarf puffer) a happy fish? Because if I go for it, that will be my goal, of course.

If not puffers, anyone any other options besides the "regular" Molly's/Guppy's etc? I do not mind spending some $$ on my fish, if its a different/rare type.

If you are committed to keeping puffers, which it seems you are, than go for it! For a 5 gallon bedroom tank, may I suggest looking for a colorful betta. They can be very personable.

Sadly if you want a more "exciting" fish you will need a bigger tank. Alot of the odd ball fish need 75+ tanks.

Thanks guys!!

As far as exciting goes, surely there are smaller fish that can be lots of fun as well?

Is a dwarf puffer alone a happy puffer? If I decide to go with 5 gallons?

Are Betta's happy being alone? I always feel so sorry for them when I see them at the pet stores in such small containers all alone..?

RafasRumor said:
Thanks guys!!

As far as exciting goes, surely there are smaller fish that can be lots of fun as well?

Is a dwarf puffer alone a happy puffer? If I decide to go with 5 gallons?

Are Betta's happy being alone? I always feel so sorry for them when I see them at the pet stores in such small containers all alone..?

Beggar are fine alone in a 5 g. Unless you want a betta sorority. In this case your going to need a bigger tank.

So they like being alone? I bought one a few days ago and he passed away when I was at work today. He also didn't eat every much which may lead me to believe something may had been wrong before I introduced him into my tank

Hi I have dp they are so much fun . Mines are laying eggs!! . They are in a 17 gal with ottos, ammo and cherry red shrimp. I also got my first betta last week for my other tank he is beautiful but started to pick on a bronze corry ! So I have had to move him in to a smaller tank , which I had set up for a pinky/ lilac fighter that I saw.
Fighters are addictive ,but they don't like strong water filters or my corry apparently .

Back
Top Bottom