What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those levels were on the rise. Made them very sick. So I did 50% ASAP. My fish that lived, are back to normal and eating again. I lost one and pulled another through, narily.

Those levels were on the rise. Made them very sick. So I did 50% ASAP. My fish that lived, are back to normal and eating again. I lost one and pulled another through, narily.

Hope things smooth out very soon for you.

I am having a nightmare of my own. I have a gallon of Amquel which I got on clearance, so I have been using this instead of Prime. (Appropriate amounts not the whole gallon of course)

That was the beginning of the nightmare. I was doing all my pwc and filter cleanings. Then a few days back all h*ll broke loose and everything was messed up the tank levels were a mess, fish were sick and acting up, then dying, I have been doing 30-50%, also back to back 50% and also things just kept getting worse AND worse. This was for my 16G, 35G and my 72G.

I have had fish deaths now, my beautiful little German Blue Ram in 16G was the first to go and a baby albino BN, a few Cardinals, both Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 baby Rainbow Blue Platy, my Fiddler crab, a few snails my Gold Clam...my White cray has been hiding and I am fearing the worst.

So I thought I had just killed my BB somehow when I cleaned my filters, but I did everything like always and took good care to be gentle, then thought somehow had mis managed the dosage...racked my brain and just didn't know what was going on.

Meanwhile the filter had broken in the 16G. Got the tank back in order. But the water was still bad.

So racking my brain and no mater how much water I changed, the water wasn't getting better.

Then I got Ich in two tanks, the 35G and the 72G, my heaters weren't good enough to get the tanks up to temp, so I had to buy 2 new heaters and am in the process of getting the temp raised up. Bought some Pimafix. Need to find out about the treatment of Pima with heat for the Ich.

It also killed off a bunch of my moss and seemed to damage my plants.

Well come to find out it can cause pH problems and wreak havoc, it is a very bad situation and I am so mad and sad. It seems is a problem with softer water. So I am tired of water changes and am tired of the tanks smelling like burnt furnace, another side to Amquel, am tired that my beautiful tank is a horrible mess, and that my fish and inverts are partially poisoned and some dead. And really upset that by using heat to treat the tank, I will likely kill most of the plants.

I am trudging along. This is the dark side of things. Sorry for the long rant.

There is a bit of good. My little SW nano tank is almost cycled and I ordered some snails for it.

I am having a nightmare of my own. I have a gallon of Amquel which I got on clearance, so I have been using this instead of Prime. (Appropriate amounts not the whole gallon of course)

That was the beginning of the nightmare. I was doing all my pwc and filter cleanings. Then a few days back all h*ll broke loose and everything was messed up the tank levels were a mess, fish were sick and acting up, then dying, I have been doing 30-50%, also back to back 50% and also things just kept getting worse AND worse. This was for my 16G, 35G and my 72G.

I have had fish deaths now, my beautiful little German Blue Ram in 16G was the first to go and a baby albino BN, a few Cardinals, both Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 baby Rainbow Blue Platy, my Fiddler crab, a few snails my Gold Clam...my White cray has been hiding and I am fearing the worst.

So I thought I had just killed my BB somehow when I cleaned my filters, but I did everything like always and took good care to be gentle, then thought somehow had mis managed the dosage...racked my brain and just didn't know what was going on.

Meanwhile the filter had broken in the 16G. Got the tank back in order. But the water was still bad.

So racking my brain and no mater how much water I changed, the water wasn't getting better.

Then I got Ich in two tanks, the 35G and the 72G, my heaters weren't good enough to get the tanks up to temp, so I had to buy 2 new heaters and am in the process of getting the temp raised up. Bought some Pimafix. Need to find out about the treatment of Pima with heat for the Ich.

Well come to find out it can cause pH problems and wreak havoc, it is a very bad situation and I am so mad and sad. It seems is a problem with softer water. So I am tired of water changes and am tired of the tanks smelling like burnt furnace, another side to Amquel, am tired that my beautiful tank is a horrible mess, and that my fish and inverts are partially poisoned and some dead. And really upset that by using heat to treat the tank, I will likely kill most of the plants.

There is a bit of good. My little SW nano tank is almost cycled and I ordered some snails for it.

Autumnsky I'm so sorry to hear this :( what a terrible time for you, i really hope everything stabilises and you don't suffer anymore losses. Lesley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How awful for you, Autumsky. It s the worst feeling when you cant keep these little creatures alive & happy. We create these environments for them & there s such a huge responsibility in that. I get this sick to my stomach feeling when I lose one & a couple of times , it s been directly from something I did. I say all of this in support, we ve all been there. Sending good thoughts your way.

Found another dead tiger barb. I'm really curious as to what is killing them, although this time I forgot to turn the filter back on after feeding Friday night, so that may have done it.

Oh my gosh! That is horrible! Can you move your plants to a quarantine while you heat your tanks? I am so sorry for your losses. I wonder if the Amquel was bad. I go to Jack's Pets, they always recommend their brand for conditioner and water treaters, but I have always had good experiences with TETRA brand and know it is safe. So I buy that from Wal-mart instead. I fear changing brands. People have recommended PRIME, but I have never used it so I don't even entertain the idea. I hope your tanks pull through.

I trimmed, pulled, and pruned by 75 gallon. I did a water change. I did a tiny little rearranging. I moved some fish back over. I took everything out of my 55 gallon, vacuumed, did water change, trimmed, and replanted, put all back in (rearranged). I did a water change on my other 55 gallon removed java moss and put in 30 gallon tank, and replanted baby plants shooting from main plant. I did a water change on the 30, a little rearranging and moved all fry to the 30 gallon tank to grow out. It took me from wake up to 5:00pm to finish, but I am happy and so are the fish. It really needed it. Good clean ups. Got filters cleaned and glass canopies cleaned, too.

Yesterday I picked up some fish magazines. Thought a fish was dead, but he wasn't. He's on his way out though, sadly. Working on my walstad bowl, hoping to get some RCS eventual.

Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Well thanks, but i'll stick to my methods because i don't lose fish. And yes, i have full test kits.

Finished plant trimming and replanting. Enjoyed watching frozen bloodworm feast. Took some pictures of my fish.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400452995.136474.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400468082.005688.jpg

I got these guys today. They are in quarantine right now. 6 red eye tetras and 2 neon tetras to join my band of 5 neons in my 60g. I lost one of them a few weeks back, so want to get back to 6+.

I also picked up a glass shrimp, but he was hiding when I took the pics.

And the castle deco--picked out by my 3 year old daughter. :)

Acclimated some corals yesterday. As well as two firefish a couple days ago. Everything is going amazing. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400603963.820079.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400603987.667218.jpg

Don't remember where I exactly left off, but there are massive deaths at my house.

Out of all my fish in my 16G, 35G and 72G, I have 6 Angels (two adults and 4 juveniles), 1 Blackskirt (out of 2), 1 Neon (out of 6 Cardinals & Neons), the white Crayfish, a Nerite, and 5 Harlequin Rasboras (out of 9), 1 Diamond Tetra (out of 4), Lost all 6 Millenium Rainbow and the Parkinsoni Rainbow. 6 Cories, lost 5 of Albino Bristlenose Plecos, and 9 of 9 Glowlight Tetras, still have the community Betta, lost one Banded Kuhli.

Been doing pwc AM and PM and night before last took town the 35G, last night took down the 16G cleaned it out completely and put back the Albino BN Pleco, the Betta and the 1 Diamond Tetra, the little red Nerite was in there too.

Out of the 35G Just the 2 Koi Angel adults survived with one Kuhli. They went into the 72G.

I am cleaning out the 35G today. It was just sitting with water left in the bottom.

Switching it over to SW will have to wait for a couple weeks it will be my plant holding tank.

Today I will be removing the rest of the plants in the 72G tank, doing another pwc based on the amount of muck in the bottom of the tank.

One option is that I move all the remaining fish into the 35G and a few healthy looking ones into the 16G and clean out the substrate and everything in there. Once the substrate is clean I will feel better about putting the tank back together. Because of the pH, most of the MTS snails are dead and gonna foul the water, I haven't noticed a live one in the 72G, unless they are still hiding. There are a bunch of shells on top of the substrate.

I got Purigen for the FX-5 on the 72G.

So overnight there were no more deaths. The big Purple Spotted Gudgeon
is looking so very distressed. I am just hoping he hangs in there. Hoping the fish losses are over, one Koi Angel looks in poor condition too. The rest SEEM active and swimming around nicely.

Physically and emotionally exhausted, had work the last several days and the massive amount of water changing has been a challenge.

Thank you again for all your good wishes, kind words and PM's.

25% wc on my 20 gallon reef. Also fragged the green birds nest as it was about to get murdered again by my green slimer lol.
SlW7l2j.jpg
you can see how close they're lol. Also did a 30% wc on my 29g fw tank.

took tons of picts but can't figure out why I can't upload my picts
Keep getting rundl errors omg think I may have to restore this stupid thing
now to figure out what I want to save lol

Don't remember where I exactly left off, but there are massive deaths at my house.

Out of all my fish in my 16G, 35G and 72G, I have 6 Angels (two adults and 4 juveniles), 1 Blackskirt (out of 2), 1 Neon (out of 6 Cardinals & Neons), the white Crayfish, a Nerite, and 5 Harlequin Rasboras (out of 9), 1 Diamond Tetra (out of 4), Lost all 6 Millenium Rainbow and the Parkinsoni Rainbow. 6 Cories, lost 5 of Albino Bristlenose Plecos, and 9 of 9 Glowlight Tetras, still have the community Betta, lost one Banded Kuhli.

Been doing pwc AM and PM and night before last took town the 35G, last night took down the 16G cleaned it out completely and put back the Albino BN Pleco, the Betta and the 1 Diamond Tetra, the little red Nerite was in there too.

Out of the 35G Just the 2 Koi Angel adults survived with one Kuhli. They went into the 72G.

I am cleaning out the 35G today. It was just sitting with water left in the bottom.

Switching it over to SW will have to wait for a couple weeks it will be my plant holding tank.

Today I will be removing the rest of the plants in the 72G tank, doing another pwc based on the amount of muck in the bottom of the tank.

One option is that I move all the remaining fish into the 35G and a few healthy looking ones into the 16G and clean out the substrate and everything in there. Once the substrate is clean I will feel better about putting the tank back together. Because of the pH, most of the MTS snails are dead and gonna foul the water, I haven't noticed a live one in the 72G, unless they are still hiding. There are a bunch of shells on top of the substrate.

I got Purigen for the FX-5 on the 72G.

So overnight there were no more deaths. The big Purple Spotted Gudgeon
is looking so very distressed. I am just hoping he hangs in there. Hoping the fish losses are over, one Koi Angel looks in poor condition too. The rest SEEM active and swimming around nicely.

Physically and emotionally exhausted, had work the last several days and the massive amount of water changing has been a challenge.

Thank you again for all your good wishes, kind words and PM's.

Oh my gosh you lost more? :( I am sorry.

Watched Blanche die tonight and noticed a white spot on Dorothy's eye. Stanley is hiding as usual. Just fed them bloodworms today.

Back
Top Bottom