What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad reading about the fish deaths. It's here, too. I lost both my knight gobies. Once the male went, the female went. He was swimming tail heavy. Don't know. Everyone else is fine, so far. I did have an aru II acting up in a tank, but he seems fine now. I did water changes today. Been watching tanks a lot lately. Planted some dwarf sag and one crypt I had floating around.

Sad reading about the fish deaths. It's here, too. I lost both my knight gobies. Once the male went, the female went. He was swimming tail heavy. Don't know. Everyone else is fine, so far. I did have an aru II acting up in a tank, but he seems fine now. I did water changes today. Been watching tanks a lot lately. Planted some dwarf sag and one crypt I had floating around.

Sorry to hear about your losses :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On a happier note, I set up my walstad vase on Friday and got 3 RCS today along with some algae wafers. They're gonna love their new tank ;) It has a bunch of old overgrowth clippings of Java moss, water wisteria, and Java fern, along with some bamboo (with its leaves outside of the tank, of course ;) ) Got 2 females and a male, hopefully they overstock me enough to make a profit!

One of my shrimp was found deceased in the vase yesterday, but the other two are doing fine. I'm pretty sure that I have a male and a female, if someone could confirm that it would be great.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401375821.293764.jpg

The male is right in the front and the female is the red spot in the back.

50 % clean on my giant African shrimp tank and rinsed the filters.

One of my shrimp was found deceased in the vase yesterday, but the other two are doing fine. I'm pretty sure that I have a male and a female, if someone could confirm that it would be great.

View attachment 238752

The male is right in the front and the female is the red spot in the back.

Need a close up of the tail of the "female". Front looks like a male.

Ok she just went towards the front so I'll get a better pic for you right now.

View attachment 238778

I think she might have eggs too :)

Yes that looks like she is berried!!! :dance:

Got a new goose neck desk lamp second hand, made in the USA ($3.) for the 50/50 light for my little SW tank. I will be getting a second bulb so I can have 20W for the 4 corals I will be picking up/ already picked out and bought, at the end of next week providing all the parameters are good! There is a 15% off sale so I will wait a few more days and get the discount since I don't need the light yet who knows, maybe it will even go on sale by then, haha).

Can't seem to get the pH to come up in my 72G. It is still yellow, and that is the lowest color at 6.0 on the scale color chart. (so is it really 6, or lower???)

My other tanks are about 7.2/7.3 pH. I have added some pH riser about 4 doses, no change, yesterday added some epsom salts/magnesium, and 2/3rds of a large cuttlebone in grated powder, and added 2 additional buckets of regular water and ...nothing. Tomorrow I will do a kh and gh test and see where we are at and then ask for more help in the other section. I was told to let it all stabilize for a little while and make the adjustments, upping the pH gradually as to avoid shock, but I can't get any movement. Previously, I just added cuttlebone powder and it stabilized and went back to normal.

Yes that looks like she is berried!!! :dance:

Got a new goose neck desk lamp second hand, made in the USA ($3.) for the 50/50 light for my little SW tank. I will be getting a second bulb so I can have 20W for the 4 corals I will be picking up/ already picked out and bought, at the end of next week providing all the parameters are good! There is a 15% off sale so I will wait a few more days and get the discount since I don't need the light yet who knows, maybe it will even go on sale by then, haha).

Can't seem to get the pH to come up in my 72G. It is still yellow, and that is the lowest color at 6.0 on the scale color chart. (so is it really 6, or lower???)

My other tanks are about 7.2/7.3 pH. I have added some pH riser about 4 doses, no change, yesterday added some epsom salts/magnesium, and 2/3rds of a large cuttlebone in grated powder, and added 2 additional buckets of regular water and ...nothing. Tomorrow I will do a kh and gh test and see where we are at and then ask for more help in the other section. I was told to let it all stabilize for a little while and make the adjustments, upping the pH gradually as to avoid shock, but I can't get any movement. Previously, I just added cuttlebone powder and it stabilized and went back to normal.

Great, thank you Autumnsky! I'm a newbie with shrimp so I appreciate the help.

If there is driftwood in the tank, could the tannins be lowering the pH? If there is you might want to do a large PWC then add the cuttlebone and see if that helps. Not sure if you tried that already though.

Good luck with your saltwater tank!! I can't help you at all there. All I know is that they are beautiful, but a little difficult to maintain.

And now my male guppy is dying. I feel your pain guys. It's so sad and there isn't anything to do.

Kittykat sorry for your losses :( one part of the hobby nobody likes. I hope things improve for you.
Big clean on my elephant nose tank algae scrub and cleaned my impeller.

Did water changes earlier this week. Had my water tested again the other day. Nitrites are up a little. Almost done cycling. Added bioboost. Dorothy and Stan are still alive. So doing well I think.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly water change today and general maintenance today. My corys are so comfortable with me working in the tank that one swam between the glass and my arm as I was scraping off the GSA. Evidently once it is detached it is cory food. I just love my corys. The more confident they have become the more fun they are.

Sorry to hear that KittyKat. How are the water parameters, I would do big pwc. Maybe you are over feeding? What are you feeding them?

I have DW that has been in my tank for well over a year, and most of it was soaking for 4-6 months before that in my pond and in a bucket.

I think I will have to move the fish and do complete clean of the substrate and big filter, just to make sure to get a fresh start but didn't want to shock the fish with the 1 point + pH change. I was hoping to get it leveled out by now, as previously mentioned :banghead: :banghead::banghead:.

This week I am working 7 days in a row and have extended family arriving next weekend, so that 1/2 day to all day project wasn't really in the plans! Since it is a 72G tank, I can't reach in there too well and it will be a big chore! I think I will save half of the tank water to add back in to see if that will equalize the pH to help avoid the shock. And maybe just wait a couple more days for that since the heat treatment is half over.

I feed them maybe a flake a day. It isn't very much as the flakes are crushed in half beforehand. My male is still alright. Thanks for your help Autumnsky.

Fed the fish so far. Removed the dead shrimp as I couldn't get it yesterday.

@fishlove hope your fish keep ok.
50 % clean on my giant African shrimp tank, algae scrub and rinsed filters. Had to euthanise my giant colombian ramshorn his mantle had broke and he couldn't move :(

Thanks.

I added java fern and an anubias. The plastic plants just didn't seem right and now I want a low maintenance planted tank. (No co2)

img_2959058_0_ad616c5498503876d7be6efcf17fe492.jpg

Added a black background to aforementioned tank. Fed goldfish about 5 times, peas twice. They're getting big on this WARM water lately, temps have peaked at 88F, but this morning it was 66, topping out at 73 this evening.

Back
Top Bottom