What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no fishlove777, I am sorry to hear about your previous loss):

I shipped 7 corydoras today.

Forgot to attach.
Thanks :/ that makes 2/3 of my golden girls. I think the end of nitrogen cylce bacteria spike made her really sick. She pulled through a few days ago and then just went tonight *snaps* like that. I have a corydra, his name is Stanley. He is so interesting to watch. Good luck on your shipment!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400649106919.jpg
    1400649106919.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 80
)))))))); I didn't mention this earlier, but I had one of my balloon mollies pass a couple days ago. So we are both grieving): I had her the longest, but she got to see her fry grow up to be beautiful juveniles

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgot to attach.
Thanks :/ that makes 2/3 of my golden girls. I think the end of nitrogen cylce bacteria spike made her really sick. She pulled through a few days ago and then just went tonight *snaps* like that. I have a corydra, his name is Stanley. He is so interesting to watch. Good luck on your shipment!

)))))))); I didn't mention this earlier, but I had one of my balloon mollies pass a couple days ago. So we are both grieving): I had her the longest, but she got to see her fry grow up to be beautiful juveniles

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry about your losses, it is hard. Because we care so much.

Sorry to hear about your losses guys. I had 3 of my neon tetra disappear without a trace last week but i left the heater unplugged overnight which may have killed them. Strange not to see any trace of bodies though, maybe my plecos ate them. I had one of my adult Harlequin Rasboras start to just fade out last week until i came home yesterday and found it gasping on the floor of the tank. I had noticed it stopped eating and had a slump in her tail last sunday. It still swam when i decided to isolate her but she died overnight sadly.

It is a downer when you are not able to help your sick fish. It feels worse to see the fish go into a slow spiral to death than to just notice them gone. I think i speak for a lot of people here when i say we all wish we could keep our gilled buddies fighting fit.

Anyway WDIDTMTT from sunday through till today.
Sunday. Lots of small feeds through the day before i do my sunday WC & filter maintenance. So it's the day i like to spoil my fish with their favorite foods. Afternoon, 40-50% WC on three tanks. Set up a Ramshorn grow out tank (can get $1- $1.50 each for my red ramshorns at LFS).

Day one of operation greenwater. After removing 70% of the water i set up a small filter with a high flow rate with filter floss. I ran it for 2 hours on the tank as i added water very gradually and cleaned it out three times before i had refilled the tank. I was using a slightly larger filter with a much lower rate of flow for the last week to remove the algae.It failed. So another 3 day blackout was scheduled after giving my plants a few days with light to recover from my first blackout attempt. This time i decided to go hardcore with the blackout. I attached cardboard to three sides of the tank with pegs and unplugged my lights I even used a hood on my tank for the first time in about 5 years.

Monday- Feeding, PWC 30% on Kuhli tank, cleaned the filter floss for Op greenwater. Removed my sick Rasbora from the community tank.

Today- Op greenwater- Things are looking very clear now in the Kuhli tank with 12 hours before lights on, i can see plants at the far end of the tank with the torch on my phone (2 foot tank) when 2 days ago i couldn't see the from front to back in the tank with 2 T8 lights. 20% WC and new filter floss again in the greenwater filter. Tomorrow i will end the blackout and remove the greenwater filter. Hopefully it's dealt with for good now. I miss seeing my Kuhli.

Well 1 whole day with no deaths. yipee! So I fed them, and the Gudgeon didn't eat. That is my daughter's favorite which she was going to take with her to her new apartment soon. So I hope it will adjust to the situation.

The tank temp is 86F now and the Gudgeon likes it a max of of 78F so he isn't feeling too well from that as well. He had a spot of Ich on him so I need him to go through the heat for, I hope I can check and see if 3 days for the life cycle and they fall off, if that could work, I could get him out of the heat.

I am finishing cleaning the 35 and the 2 small filters that were in the 16G and getting the plants into the 35G. I wasn't feeling well yesterday and rested some.

There were a bunch of MTS type snails which came up out of the sand from the 16G tank's bucket of sand, so I scooped them up and put them back into the 16G.

Doing a medium pwc on the 72G and adding back in some Epsom salts for the magnesium and some more powdered cuttlebone for the kh/gh. Hoping soon, after a few days more of pwc there will finally be a stabilization of the pH.

Have the extra air stone on the tank and am filling only 3/4 full so the out take blows lots of bubbles/air into the water.

Although I love my big 72G tank, it is so much more difficult to reach things, clean, treat, move plants, trim plants, and in general maintain than the smaller ones.

I can't believe it, but one of the Oto cats actually lived through the apocalypse. That must be one REALLY tough cat!

Alan, maybe a UV sterilizer for the algae. Sorry to hear about your fish too.

SW news- My clean up crew package arrives tomorrow for my SW. Yesterday I got a Fire Shrimp and a snail and 2 tiny Blue Leg Hermits and they are still alive today! I have Coraline Algae growing on some of the live Coral rock now.

Well 1 whole day with no deaths. yipee! So I fed them, and the Gudgeon didn't eat. That is my daughter's favorite which she was going to take with her to her new apartment soon. So I hope it will adjust to the situation.

The tank temp is 86F now and the Gudgeon likes it a max of of 78F so he isn't feeling too well from that as well. He had a spot of Ich on him so I need him to go through the heat for, I hope I can check and see if 3 days for the life cycle and they fall off, if that could work, I could get him out of the heat.

I am finishing cleaning the 35 and the 2 small filters that were in the 16G and getting the plants into the 35G. I wasn't feeling well yesterday and rested some.

There were a bunch of MTS type snails which came up out of the sand from the 16G tank's bucket of sand, so I scooped them up and put them back into the 16G.

Doing a medium pwc on the 72G and adding back in some Epsom salts for the magnesium and some more powdered cuttlebone for the kh/gh. Hoping soon, after a few days more of pwc there will finally be a stabilization of the pH.

Have the extra air stone on the tank and am filling only 3/4 full so the out take blows lots of bubbles/air into the water.

Although I love my big 72G tank, it is so much more difficult to reach things, clean, treat, move plants, trim plants, and in general maintain than the smaller ones.

I can't believe it, but one of the Oto cats actually lived through the apocalypse. That must be one REALLY tough cat!

SW news- My clean up crew package arrives tomorrow for my SW. Yesterday I got a Fire Shrimp and a snail and 2 tiny Blue Leg Hermits and they are still alive today! I have Coraline Algae growing on some of the live Coral rock now.

I'm glad you haven't had any more deaths. I hope your gudgeon pulls through ok and you get through ich without any issues.
Good luck with your SW tank! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stopped by home for lunch and checked out the 2 day old Bn pleco fry. Not sure how's my have been eaten but the tetras, angelfish, and Bolivian rams are hanging out by the driftwood opening. They must thinking "buffet".

I'm sorry for your losses... I know how you feel. Two weeks ago I lost half of my fish due to silicone getting into my tank and creating a film that locked out oxygen. I lost my 2 year old angel that's been with me my whole fish keeping experience along with numerous other fish. Rescaped though and it looks awesome and fish are doing good again and replacements are adjusting nicely. My 3 new baby angels look great and I look forward to seeing them grow up.

First, I'm so sorry for all of your losses. This is one of the few places I know of where they are so much more than "just fish". My deepest condolences.

As it type I'm watching my 2 of my corys play in the filter outflow. Earlier I cleaned a little green spot algae off of the front glass. I find if I clean a spot here or there between major weekly maintenance it keeps it under control.

Did 50% WC, waiting to add the remaining two gallons to complete the refill (20G tank, took out 10. Only have 8 jugs. Waiting on other two to warm). Trimmed the 18" stem from my aponogeton plant and a small dead piece. The 18" stem just kept flowing behind a filter intake. Added bioboost amd regular water care fish health products. Had water checked at lfs again today. Nitrates were high. So, after all of that, just let my remaining fish (Dorothy and Stan) play and hopefully live through the end of the nitrogen cycle. These two have been troopers. I have faith.

Attachments

• 1400732514159.jpg
    1400732514159.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1400732534996.jpg
    1400732534996.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 1400732557288.jpg
    1400732557288.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 84
@fishlove hope your fish keep ok.
50 % clean on my giant African shrimp tank, algae scrub and rinsed filters. Had to euthanise my giant colombian ramshorn his mantle had broke and he couldn't move :(

My x-ray pristella with a mystery illness was no better after 3 weeks and 3 rounds of treatments. She had another big lesion this morning. As long as she was swimming in antibiotic the lesions were arrested but started again as soon as they stopped. So it was time to euthanize since she wasn't going to get well and would suffer. She was a good little fish and I'm really bummed.

After that I bleached the QT and everything associated with it. Sad day.

Last edited:
My sister's platy passed this evening. He wasn't eating for a few days, so we knew he was on his way out. She is so sad.

I am so sad for everyone that lost fish.

My sister's platy passed this evening. He wasn't eating for a few days, so we knew he was on his way out. She is so sad.

I am so sad for everyone that lost fish.

Ty. I'm sorry for your sister's loss as well. Been a lot of loss here lately. Hope things get better soon for all.

Today is water change and filter cleaning, day; but right now I'm just watching and enjoying.

waiting on a coral shipment to arrive today
than I will be busy most of the day acclimating and arranging things
as I have another shipment coming tomorrow with all sorts of inverts
and a few rare coral pieces this being 1 of them it's called "black death"

DSC_1549_3B_ps.jpg

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank today as I'm a day late cleaning since I've hurt my back, algae scrub and rinsed filters out.

Set up my walstad vase yesterday, and let the dirt settle. Fed the fish. Hoping to get some RCS to put into my vase.

waiting on a coral shipment to arrive today
than I will be busy most of the day acclimating and arranging things
as I have another shipment coming tomorrow with all sorts of inverts
and a few rare coral pieces this being 1 of them it's called "black death"

DSC_1549_3B_ps.jpg

That is really cool!

Since my last post i have cleared up my kuhli tank of greenwater. It took me a ridiculously long time to do though. Aside from that little of note has happened this week. I still have 4 cherry shrimp left in the Kuhli tank, possibly more but they hide out more than they used to. It's rare to see them now. I thought they were all gone though so any sighting is nice.

The tank maintenance schedule for this afternoon is to do 80 litres of water changes and spoil my fish a little more with food before i do the changes. Kuhli tank has had bloodworms and white mosquito larva as has the community tank They will get some Omega one community pellets and after the WC an algae wafer which is mostly eaten by the snails in the tank. Comets had banana, lettuce and some omega one goldfish pellets. They will get peas after i type this then i break up an algae wafer after the WC. I'm trying to wean them off flake foods since they seem to enjoy working the larger pellets around in their mouths. My Betta has had a small feed of bloodworm and of blackworm, plus a tiny sprinkle of flakes. She will probably just get some pellets after her water change.

I have everything ready to go for a Betta breeding project now too. I bought a heater yesterday and decided which breeding tank to use of my spare/unused tanks. I'll be using a friends male Betta with my girl so once young Sonic gets delivered I can begin the introduction process. This will be my first attempt at setting out to breed fish and i haven't seen anyone locally who breeds them. Hopefully i don't wind up with a lot of Bettas i can't offload. I know that professional breeders have a pretty specific idea about the genetics of their fish and what look their progeny will deliver, but for me i hope to see a little bit of variety in the look of the progeny. The female i bought is a blue crown tail with a red band running inside her fins, she shimmers with different color from light blue to purple, hints of green at times too depending on the angle you see her from. The male is also a crowntail and has a red cap on it head, pale body with blue fins. I ahve no idea what they wil produce.

Back
Top Bottom