cichlids! oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wellllllll, some of you may know that I got a FREE 75g tank! Well im settin it up today and well its gonna be a cichlid tank for sure. Just an "assorted" variety. But, assorted doesnt really say much nor clarify much. I will be pre seeding the tank with a precycled filter as well. Questions,

Whats some decent filtration I should think about?

I want white sand but what kind?

What temperature do "assorted" cichlids like?

Ph? I know the 8is range

Ill add more questions soon. Only cichlids ive ever owned were oscars. I wanna go for color now!

Wellllllll, some of you may know that I got a FREE 75g tank! Well im settin it up today and well its gonna be a cichlid tank for sure. Just an "assorted" variety. But, assorted doesnt really say much nor clarify much. I will be pre seeding the tank with a precycled filter as well. Questions,

Whats some decent filtration I should think about?

I want white sand but what kind?

What temperature do "assorted" cichlids like?

Ph? I know the 8is range

Ill add more questions soon. Only cichlids ive ever owned were oscars. I wanna go for color now!

For white sand, run a light coloured pfs. And think about a filter that will cycle the tank 10x plus. Temp around 78-80. Ph doesn't matter so much as the water is hard. Can't wait to see!

For white sand, run a light coloured pfs. And think about a filter that will cycle the tank 10x plus. Temp around 78-80. Ph doesn't matter so much as the water is hard. Can't wait to see!

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with supernatural white-ish sand. Got some new things today at work. Now for stock. Can someone help me here? I want an assorted variety of cichlids. I hear tge "assorted" cichlid tank at most petstores is bad. Any opinions here?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131030_153607.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131030_153607.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with supernatural white-ish sand. Got some new things today at work. Now for stock. Can someone help me here? I want an assorted variety of cichlids. I hear tge "assorted" cichlid tank at most petstores is bad. Any opinions here?

People don't like the assorted tank because they are most likely hybrids. Are you thinking a specific lake? Or just good looking African cichlids?

People don't like the assorted tank because they are most likely hybrids. Are you thinking a specific lake? Or just good looking African cichlids?

Just good ol' affrican tank. Any advice?

Also I need rocks in the bulk. Any good place to order these?

Just good ol' affrican tank. Any advice?

Also I need rocks in the bulk. Any good place to order these?

Okay. Well for rocks. Just go to a nearby landscape store. I have a local store that literally just sells rocks. Bought 50 lbs for $8.

It's possible but usually a bigger tank works best IMO. You could do some milder mbuna like yellow labs and others and a few male peacocks. Or do an all male peacock tank if you really want color.

Back
Top Bottom