Discus tankmates other than tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everlasting

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I've recently switched up my tank from larger aggressive fish to having Discus. I currently have two Discus, 2 cory cats and a clown pleco in the tank which is a 55 gallon.

I would like some other fish in the tank and everything I've read says that tetras are the best, especially rummy nose and cardinals. Even when I had a smaller tropical fish tank I've never been a huge fan of tetras due to their mortality rate. That being said, they look lovely when they school together.

I have been buying cardinals and rummy nose on and off over the last 6 months and I've managed at various points to build up schools of around 8 tetras however I am becoming frustrated as they keep dying. My water parameters are as they should be, the temperature is at 82 and everything else in the tank is doing well. And while I like the look of the tetras schooling together (especially the cardinals), these fish are not cheap and I am not wanting to have to spend $15 or $20 on fish every few weeks when one or two of them die. I am very careful when I add them to the tank, with floating them, and then adding some tank water to adjust to the pH, letting them sit, and then adding more water etc. And they generally live for a few weeks but still this is not what I am wanting and the reason I originally moved away from smaller fish.

So my question is, is there any other type of fish that can be put in with discus that will not make them hide or feel insecure in their environment but that can also sustain the higher water temperatures? I am not sure if the issue is something to do with my tank and the tetras or what, but all the information I am finding online for tankmates points towards those two tetras, cory cats and cory cats. Is there anything else?

German blue rams and gold rams. They do well together. And if your willing to blow the cash, ive seen them kept with freshwater rays as well

Back
Top Bottom