Dwarf Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a question. I'm gunna set a 20 long up. Would it be possible to have a group of all females in the tank? Or would they become violent with each other when they are mature?

I think all females would be fine, the only reason you would get hostile would be breeding but that's not gonna happen lol. But TCC would know best he's got more appistos than the amazon

Thanks that's what I figured. I think that some rams and maybe some dwarf cory cats would be a nice tank. Just want a simple, peaceful tank.
TCC, what do you think? If it would work, how many would you add?

Thanks that's what I figured. I think that some rams and maybe some dwarf cory cats would be a nice tank. Just want a simple, peaceful tank.

Female rams together without a male should be okay, unless you get the occasional crazy one but its like all fish.In a 20 3-4 should be fine. And corys would be the icing on the tank sounds cool.

Thanks! The panduro are may favorite now but they baenschi may catch them soon

Yeah, they are stunning. And I can spot the female...just lol. Seeing all these photos and your zoo room, I'm contemplating getting some racks with a few tanks strictly for dwarfs. I'm totally intrigued by these little guys and I like the idea of more tanks in a smaller space :) The amount of times I've had to pass on apistos...I can stanz it no more! ;)

That's just at the right angel, haven't you ever seen them turn and you got a shine of blue? That's when that picture was taken. Or it's injected with hormones

Depends on the stock you have. I've kept plenty that did in fact look like the photo. They were not hormone treated.

I'd go ahead and keep a pair, but that's just me. IME they are unlikely to be very aggressive toward tank mates even if they spawn (it's mostly posturing), and their behavior is more interesting in the presence of the opposite sex.

Yeah, they are stunning. And I can spot the female...just lol. Seeing all these photos and your zoo room, I'm contemplating getting some racks with a few tanks strictly for dwarfs. I'm totally intrigued by these little guys and I like the idea of more tanks in a smaller space :) The amount of times I've had to pass on apistos...I can stanz it no more! ;)

Let me know what's available to you over there. Apistos are Defiantly worth it.

Just thought I'd get my list of Apistos up here! Hopefully I can get some pictures...eventually.

I'm currently keeping:

Apistogramma paulmuelleri (formerly sp. "Masken")
Apistogramma agassizii tefe pearl blue
Apistogramma gibbiceps

While my friend has:

Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma elizabethae

The female macmasteri is actually in my picture currently

Just thought I'd get my list of Apistos up here! Hopefully I can get some pictures...eventually.

I'm currently keeping:

Apistogramma gibbiceps

While my friend has:

Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma elizabethae

Nice all are beautiful fish. I was gonna get a trio of macmasteri wild but I waited to long :(

I can't take any credit for breeding these beauties, but here are some I've had.

img_2647536_0_cdb850e9508744cce407febbfbfb325b.jpg

img_2647536_1_88c017ca84b615a3bd5945f7d7ec9afe.jpg

img_2647536_2_318d330547b10e8379c82c492b1f9f15.jpg

I'm currently keeping:

Apistogramma gibbiceps

While my friend has:

Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma elizabethae

Nice list. The apistos I've kept so far are borelli, alacrina, agassizi, combrae, viejita, panduro, cacatuoides, atahualpa, steindachneri, gephyra, and an unidentified species that I picked up as "sp. purple".

My fishroom is mostly torn down until it can be rebuilt, so the only species I have currently is my panduro pair.

The range of species that I've seen locally are A cacatuoides and A agasizzi. Very beautiful but I think I can get a bigger selection from Queensland (interstate) I'm going to be looking into their stock. Getting excited...new project :D

Both are nice fish, defiantly check all your sources first!!

Nice rams, and an impressive list of apistos mama. Sucks you had to tear it down though. You have any pics of sp. purple?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, it was several years (and a couple of computers) ago. If I have a pic online I'll link it. It sucks to tear down, but there are some issues we need to address in a rebuild that will make it a lot more efficient in the future.

I'm not sure, it was several years (and a couple of computers) ago. If I have a pic online I'll link it. It sucks to tear down, but there are some issues we need to address in a rebuild that will make it a lot more efficient in the future.

Cool, I'd love a pic! And tear down gives you a chance to start over with new species.

So far I have only kept my Rams. I had a pair, and they were AWESOME parents. They had wigglers on their first spawn. Sadly the female recently died, not sure why :(
I really want to try some of the other species. I have the tanks for it, but not the space. Yet ;)

I *think* my rams still have the eggs. They're still guarding the spot, but they put sand on top of their eggs. There's clumps that are the off color of eggs in sand... It's not like they buried it completely . There's just sand sprinkled over them. Normal?

Here's a pic of the parents guarding.

Attachments

• image-806581637.jpg
    image-806581637.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom