electric johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of mine has an electric blue johanni that is attacking thier jack dempsy. They offered to give the johanni to me for free just to get him out of their tank. Here's my question. I have a 29g tank that I have to cycle and setup. I figure that should be big enough for him to be happy. But, in the meantime, all i have cycled and ready is a 10g. Will he be ok in the 10g for a week or 2 while the other is being setup and cycled? He is approx 4in long.

img_1761014_0_36d8d7ff4a2428c92acdddd7165c6183.jpg

Anyone have any input on this? I have to let him know asap if I am able to take the fish :) I really want it but, if I cant provide a good home I will definitely pass. But, pretty much its either me or petco which has a HORRIBLE reputation with fish out here.

Mbunas should have a 4ft tank and johanni are on the more aggressive end of the mbunas.. more likely though that is a maingano which are also highly aggressive so if you plan on keeping other fish with him/her then it would have to be other aggressive mbunas which need without a doubt a standard 55 or larger

Mbunas should have a 4ft tank and johanni are on the more aggressive end of the mbunas.. more likely though that is a maingano which are also highly aggressive so if you plan on keeping other fish with him/her then it would have to be other aggressive mbunas which need without a doubt a standard 55 or larger

So there is no way he could be happy in a 29g? If thats the case I might have to let him go to Petco :(

It's not completely out of the question but its on the small end for sure if you do you'll have to be careful of any other fish added

It's not completely out of the question but its on the small end for sure if you do you'll have to be careful of any other fish added

My initial plan was to have him and a female in the tank. I have read tho that its good to overstock with this breed. One male and several females, to reduce aggressive behavior. Any recomendations if I do decide to take him?

If you want to add more mbuna your best bet is to give him/her atleast 3 females preferably more but here's where the problem is at that I even ran into myself...if this fish was purchased at a chain store and labled "johanni" more then likely it is a maingano which the difference mainly is the females of johanni never turn blue they stay the juvenile Orange but maingano are blue from the start so sexing becomes a problem so you'll want to start by getting info on that specific fish like where it was purchased and how sure they are that its a johanni

If you want to add more mbuna your best bet is to give him/her atleast 3 females preferably more but here's where the problem is at that I even ran into myself...if this fish was purchased at a chain store and labled "johanni" more then likely it is a maingano which the difference mainly is the females of johanni never turn blue they stay the juvenile Orange but maingano are blue from the start so sexing becomes a problem so you'll want to start by getting info on that specific fish like where it was purchased and how sure they are that its a johanni

Alright. I was wondering if it was actually a Johanni. The colors seem much different to me. And they said he was VERY aggressive to thier dempsey.

Ya mine ruled the tank the only mbunas I know that'll stand their ground for the most part are auratus

I have a johanni and an OB zebra mbuna living in my 125g with all haps and peacocks and mine has been a model citizen for over a year. It depends on the fish mostly, and it looks like the one in question is highly aggressive so I wouldnt stock anything else with it other than maybe a couple females.

Not super helpful but figured I'd throw in my two cents. :)

carey said:
I have a johanni and an OB zebra mbuna living in my 125g with all haps and peacocks and mine has been a model citizen for over a year. It depends on the fish mostly, and it looks like the one in question is highly aggressive so I wouldnt stock anything else with it other than maybe a couple females.

Your 2 cents are always welcome carey, love your threads by the way haha

carey said:

So do u think he'll be happy in a 29g ?

That is definately not a maingano. I'm not sure its a johanni though either. It's got a different shape...body and head. It looks more like a white tail Acei to me than anything...maybe I'm wrong? Google it and see if that more resembles yours...

After looking at photos on google, I really think its a white tail Acei.

It's something else. Acei's are one of the most peaceful mbuna species around, so the behavior pattern definately doesn't fit. Also, the tail isn't white. White tail acei's (p. acei 'Ngara') have...white tails. This fish's caudal fin is predominantly black. :angel:

kay-bee19 said:
It's something else. Acei's are one of the most peaceful mbuna species around, so the behavior pattern definately doesn't fit. Also, the tail isn't white. White tail acei's (p. acei 'Ngara') have...white tails. This fish's caudal fin is predominantly black. :angel:

I was waiting to see if you were going to chime in! Behavior doesn't fit at all, was just my best guess...what do you think it is?!

Hard to say for sure with just the one photo. It very vaguely resembles some maturing male msobo's I've seen, but I'm far from saying that is what it is.

Ccross, how long have did your friend have this fish and what size was it when your friend got it (and was it the same color when it was smaller?).

Do you have any other photo's of it displaying either well-defined stripes or bright colors, or can you post additional photos?

Back
Top Bottom