Filtration On My 65gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all :)

I have a 65gal tank with mixed African Cichlids. Plastic plants. I have three tetra whisper hob's each rated for 60-90gal tanks. I've been researching ideas for this tank. I really need new lights (still running with the stock hood/lights that came with the tank 15yrs ago) However I know I need better filtration more. There's always particles floating in the water and I do pwc's weekly sometimes twice weekly. (Depending on my readings/water quality) So my question is do you think if I take out the media that is designed for these filters and use each container with different media. Will that have any effect on the production of the filters themselves? Or do you think it doesn't matter what I do to them that they are running at their fullest capacity? I know in an ideal situation I should go buy a fluval or whatever but money is tight and hubby has said NO MORE! I did run diy filtration for my 80gal but this tank/stand won't work to run the same set up. (No room under/behind/beside) Plus (back to hubby) said I'm no longer allowed to "raid things from his work stuff". Basically I'm brainstorming and would love any feedback/ideas on what my options could be on a non-existent budget. I've seen some amazing set ups on this forum and I can't wait to hear what you all come up with :)

Hey all :)

I have a 65gal tank with mixed African Cichlids. Plastic plants. I have three tetra whisper hob's each rated for 60-90gal tanks. I've been researching ideas for this tank. I really need new lights (still running with the stock hood/lights that came with the tank 15yrs ago) However I know I need better filtration more. There's always particles floating in the water and I do pwc's weekly sometimes twice weekly. (Depending on my readings/water quality) So my question is do you think if I take out the media that is designed for these filters and use each container with different media. Will that have any effect on the production of the filters themselves? Or do you think it doesn't matter what I do to them that they are running at their fullest capacity? I know in an ideal situation I should go buy a fluval or whatever but money is tight and hubby has said NO MORE! I did run diy filtration for my 80gal but this tank/stand won't work to run the same set up. (No room under/behind/beside) Plus (back to hubby) said I'm no longer allowed to "raid things from his work stuff". Basically I'm brainstorming and would love any feedback/ideas on what my options could be on a non-existent budget. I've seen some amazing set ups on this forum and I can't wait to hear what you all come up with :)
Hi Mlani, this is what i would try. It is very cheap and should work. Have you filter floss in the filters already??. If not, then go and purchase some at a craft store or buy some cheap bed pillows and remove the stuffing. This is polyfill, same as filter floss. A big bag of floss in the craft store is only a couple of dollars and the pillows(walmart etc) is a dollar or two...
You have two options really...
1. Leave the hob's as they are but try and get as much floss in them(in any empty spaces).
2. Customize each hob. Eg, one with all floss, one with floss and purigen, one with pads and floss.
I don't own any of these types of filters, but almost any type of filter can be customized to run like this...
PS... Be very careful with your BB, if your hob's only run pads and no BB media(balls, noodles, rings) only do one filters at a time....
Hope this helps..... Ian

I have stuffed the floss in every crevice possible. (Edit sorry hit button too soon. Fat fingers lil phone) I have been using the floss for a while now (roughly 4-6 months?) however I'm still not seeing crystal clear waters. I was at Walmart today looking at Tupperware and what not trying to think of ideas for new filtration. I've seen the pop bottle ones, sump pumps even a few PVC designs. I may have worded my question poorly. I'm sorry. What I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to modify what I have or if the output of these pumps just won't cut it for my tank any more? Thank you for the response I do appreciate the feedback :)

We all strive for that crystal clear look! God know I do. How bad is it! Can you take a pic or better yet a YouTube video? It may not that bad. I remember when I brought this same topic up a while back.

Now what I'm going to say I want to be clear. This is just my own opinion and my experience and what has worked for me. You've seen pics and videos so... I think for me at least it worked just fine.

First I increased the water changes to 25% weekly and once a month a 50% one. I also did more frequent cleaning of the glass with an algae scrubber(you may think why the glass if my water is dirty? You'd be surprised how dirty the glass can get making the tank appear dirty)

Anyway those 2 things so far. Now I also use Aqua Clear filters. I don't like the tetra ones.

I would get 2 AC110's, a canister or a do a sump. Andy has a sump and if he swings by he can touch on that.

I love my 2 HOB's (AC110's)

For media I found that the sponge, poly fill, chemi pure elite and purigen have turned my water into the glass!!

Not sure why the poly fill isn't working for ya, if I took a picture after just 3 days of it bring in my HOB's you'd be shocked! I know I was!

Also flow, cichlids can be messy and I use a power head to help debris from settling onto the substrate. You can try a power head.

I hope this is helping you some. I know the frustration.

I'd try and mess with some different media and see if that helps.

Also how much and how often are you feeding? I feed once a day.

It took some time but I finally got my water looking pristine IMO.

Andy can attest to me hounding him and texting him pictures of my dirty water. I still remember one of his responses. I sent a pic and he writes back... "Looks dirty" lol I wrote back "thanks bud" haha he's a great guy.

Anyway. Try those things mentioned but I'd really start with water changes and seeing if that helps.

Also is it cloudy dirty or like particle dirty?

You can look at my pictures and clearly see the above worked for me, now I understand every tank is different but is doesn't hurt to offer up my success story!!

Good luck Mel!!

We all strive for that crystal clear look! God know I do. How bad is it! Can you take a pic or better yet a YouTube video? It may not that bad. I remember when I brought this same topic up a while back.

Now what I'm going to say I want to be clear. This is just my own opinion and my experience and what has worked for me. You've seen pics and videos so... I think for me at least it worked just fine.

First I increased the water changes to 25% weekly and once a month a 50% one. I also did more frequent cleaning of the glass with an algae scrubber(you may think why the glass if my water is dirty? You'd be surprised how dirty the glass can get making the tank appear dirty)

Anyway those 2 things so far. Now I also use Aqua Clear filters. I don't like the tetra ones.

I would get 2 AC110's, a canister or a do a sump. Andy has a sump and if he swings by he can touch on that.

I love my 2 HOB's (AC110's)

For media I found that the sponge, poly fill, chemi pure elite and purigen have turned my water into the glass!!

Not sure why the poly fill isn't working for ya, if I took a picture after just 3 days of it bring in my HOB's you'd be shocked! I know I was!

Also flow, cichlids can be messy and I use a power head to help debris from settling onto the substrate. You can try a power head.

I hope this is helping you some. I know the frustration.

I'd try and mess with some different media and see if that helps.

Also how much and how often are you feeding? I feed once a day.

It took some time but I finally got my water looking pristine IMO.

Andy can attest to me hounding him and texting him pictures of my dirty water. I still remember one of his responses. I sent a pic and he writes back... "Looks dirty" lol I wrote back "thanks bud" haha he's a great guy.

Anyway. Try those things mentioned but I'd really start with water changes and seeing if that helps.

Also is it cloudy dirty or like particle dirty?

You can look at my pictures and clearly see the above worked for me, now I understand every tank is different but is doesn't hurt to offer up my success story!!

Good luck Mel!!

Ok I hope I remember all the questions. If I miss one let me know lol! (Too many hits to the head)
I'd love to do a you tube video, I've never done one so I'm afraid pictures may be the only choice I have at this point unless someone shows/tells me how.
I do 25% weekly sometimes twice weekly and I've found myself doing at least 50% once every two months. So I'll up that to once a month instead. Thank you. I've been using a plastic pot scrubber (I bought a 10 pack from the dollar store last year) to clean my glass every couple days. The build up on it drives me insane! I've also positioned my power head towards the glass hoping it would help to keep the crap from forming on it in the first place? Am I positioning it poorly? Could it be creating flow towards the glass and creating the problem?
I feed them once daily a mix of sinking/floating pellets and flake. Occasionally (every second or third day) they get a strip of seaweed, shrimp and an algae wafer.
The water isn't cloudy it's all the little bits (particles) that are driving me nutz!! I use the vacuum to suck up all the waste. Every time it seems like I'm just making it messier. I wish I could change out my filtration to an aqua clear or fluval or even a sump but I'm on a VERY STRICT budget now. So it's the best I can do to make what I may need for them. I'm handy with tools (keep it G) lol! and always up for a challenge. So if I have to change the filtration it'll have to be something I could make with materials around the home.
I'm just making supper right now I'll post pics after. Or if you like? look in my profile? I have some I took the other day. I always appreciate the feedback as I'm alone in my hobby here at home. Thanks Dino! :)

1st full tank shot
2nd particles in the water
3rd couldn't resist he's just hanging out lol!

Attachments

• image-3101511214.jpg
    image-3101511214.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2342086337.jpg
    image-2342086337.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3244215502.jpg
    image-3244215502.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 78
I can't add to any of the great advice Dino gave you but i hope it all goes well and works out in the end for you... Ian

Thank you Ian :) I appreciate your feedback/ideas. I think I'll most likely up my big pwc to once a month instead of every two months and probably play with different media in those hobs, as you recommended. :)

Thank you Ian :) I appreciate your feedback/ideas. I think I'll most likely up my big pwc to once a month instead of every two months and probably play with different media in those hobs, as you recommended. :)
Yeah as long as you don't dump or let you BB media dry out, you won't do any harm. I defo think at least one full hob of floss should sort those floaties out(y)(y)

In the second pic the bubbler is in the back left side of the hob.

If you start where the flash reflected on towards the right side of the pic those are the particles that are bugging the crap out of me. Lol!

In the second pic the bubbler is in the back left side of the hob.
Sorry a few more questions,
1. Is there bubbles at both ends of the tank, just the sides or the back wall also??
2. Do you run them 24/7 or a just few hours a day??
3. Are the bubbles close to any of the intakes(a couple of inches)??
4. I assume the are bubble bars or wands. Are the buried in the substrate or very close to it(a few inches)??
5. What kind of substrate do you have??

Sorry a few more questions,
1. Is there bubbles at both ends of the tank, just the sides or the back wall also??
2. Do you run them 24/7 or a just few hours a day??
3. Are the bubbles close to any of the intakes(a couple of inches)??
4. I assume the are bubble bars or wands. Are the buried in the substrate or very close to it(a few inches)??
5. What kind of substrate do you have??

No worries :)
1. Bubbles at both ends yes. I have one small air-stone in a suction cup around an inch above the substrate in both back corners of the tank. Only in the corner, nothing along the back wall.
2. Yes I have them on 24/7.
3. They are close on one side to the intake on my hob the other side not so much.
4. About an inch inch and a half above the substrate stuck to the glass.
5. I have sand in there.
Did I get them all? Lol! I recently added the air stones but had this particle stuff before they were added too. The cichlids play in them and my syno cat loves them!

If your tanks cloudy a uv sterilizer might be worth looking into. Or maybe it's just sand being kicked into the water by the aerator.

No worries :)
1. Bubbles at both ends yes. I have one small air-stone in a suction cup around an inch above the substrate in both back corners of the tank. Only in the corner, nothing along the back wall.
2. Yes I have them on 24/7.
3. They are close on one side to the intake on my hob the other side not so much.
4. About an inch inch and a half above the substrate stuck to the glass.
5. I have sand in there.
Did I get them all? Lol! I recently added the air stones but had this particle stuff before they were added too. The cichlids play in them and my syno cat loves them!
The reason i asked is, i had a similar set-up with the airstones in my tank. Same areas, same substrate, had them on 24/7. I found they were sucking up find sand and my powerhaed was blowing it all around the tank. My canister was not picking them up and was sucking up some air from the airstone(s). Your issue could be a mix of micro bubbles and very fine sand circulating the tank and it's not actually resting on the bottom. Try experimenting with the hobs, getting as much floss in as possible, turning the airstones off completely(no need to remove them) and maybe even turning the powerhead/circulater off. After you change around the media in the hobs, try the above for a week or so and i reckon your issue could/should be resolved...
I know you said you had this issue before the airstone but with all the bubbles and little to no floss in the hobs, the particles are constantly getting stirred around the tank, without getting picked up by the filter, like a tornado!!!
Even tonight, switch off the airstone and circulater/powerhead and see if there is any difference in the morning..
Do you get what i'm trying to say!!
I would give this a try and see how you get on, can't do any harm....

Makes sense what you're saying. I follow it completely. The air stone (and when they weren't there) the power head could be stirring up the finer grains of sand that my hobs aren't able to capture causing them to continually swirl in my tank? Right? I'm going to test this theory by turning both air stones and the power head off for the night. I'm a little worried because I added the air stones after my fish were gasping and I had an ammonia spike. Maybe I'm just being silly thinking that the air stones helped with the gasping?

Makes sense what you're saying. I follow it completely. The air stone (and when they weren't there) the power head could be stirring up the finer grains of sand that my hobs aren't able to capture causing them to continually swirl in my tank? Right? I'm going to test this theory by turning both air stones and the power head off for the night. I'm a little worried because I added the air stones after my fish were gasping and I had an ammonia spike. Maybe I'm just being silly thinking that the air stones helped with the gasping?
Your not being silly, you just care for your fish!!. I assume the Ammonia issue is sorted now??. If your still getting Ammonia spikes then Air-stones won't fix or even help. They just help with gas exchange in the water. Ammonia is toxic, as i'm sure you know. Are you testing your water with a test-kit, preferably a liquid one??

If your tanks cloudy a uv sterilizer might be worth looking into. Or maybe it's just sand being kicked into the water by the aerator.

Sorry I missed this post somehow? A uv sterilizer isn't in my budget right now. I'm just testing a theory tonight as to whether it is the aeration in my tank causing the particles. I'll update what I see tomorrow. Thank you :)

Your not being silly, you just care for your fish!!. I assume the Ammonia issue is sorted now??. If your still getting Ammonia spikes then Air-stones won't fix or even help. They just help with gas exchange in the water. Ammonia is toxic, as i'm sure you know. Are you testing your water with a test-kit, preferably a liquid one??

Aww thanks I do love my fish! Ammonia issue is indeed rectified! *touch wood* Still haven't figured out what caused it but its no longer an issue. It took me taking my tank down to 25% of water left in it. To resolve it but my readings are back to my likings. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .25 nitrates. Good enough for me :)

Back
Top Bottom