Food Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
Iz there a type of food I should feed my africans besides flake or brand and sugestions?

For my africans is ther any type of food i should use over the other for health growth and color.

NLS is always a good choice, but there are many high quality foods out there. Omega One has a good flake, and there are several other less known brands that are just as good. The important thing is to look at the ingredient lists to make your decisions. Also attempt to incorporate some fresh vegetables or fruit if possible.

Ok I have omega one, I might try blood worms too once they grow a little most are still under an inch. I have tried spinach they just wont do it anything else that will work.( if you cant already tell im a newb with cichlids)

Ok I have omega one, I might try blood worms too once they grow a little most are still under an inch

No blood worms would be the worst thing for them, these fish should be fed on a low protein diet with protein count no higher than 38%. The reason is they are prone to Bloat, buns have intestines running 4x them length of their body to extract nutrients from algae, to high of protein can cause irritation to the intestinal walls promoting parasites that lead to Bloat, so stay away from frozen anything and stick with a high quality sinking pellet like New Life Spectrum and nothing else. This will provide them with all the nutrition they need to live happy and healthy lives.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
No blood worms would be the worst thing for them, these fish should be fed on a low protein diet with protein count no higher than 38%. The reason is they are prone to Bloat, buns have intestines running 4x them length of their body to extract nutrients from algae, to high of protein can cause irritation to the intestinal walls promoting parasites that lead to Bloat, so stay away from frozen anything and stick with a high quality sinking pellet like New Life Spectrum and nothing else. This will provide them with all the nutrition they need to live happy and healthy lives.

My omega one has 39% crude protein so do I need to change

My omega one has 39% crude protein so do I need to change

No Omega One is pretty good overall with a good list of ingredients but when that's gone I would give NLS a try. You'll see better results in color and health. I would personally skip the flake food and just stick with pellets.

HUKIT said:
No Omega One is pretty good overall with a good list of ingredients but when that's gone I would give NLS a try. You'll see better results in color and health. I would personally skip the flake food and just stick with pellets.

Ok I would definetly like to see some improved color so I will give it a try

Back
Top Bottom