help with oscars!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think minnows are healthy for oscars. It can increase their aggresion. And oscars don't actually eat minnows in the wild (apparently). Id feed it live insects if you wanted live food.worms are good too I think.

Source: another thread where someone asked the same question

In my opinion feeding anything live will increase aggression. It's fine once In a while but you won't find anything in insects that won't be provided in some decent pellets etc.
As tarpon said, insects over minnows, pellets over insects.

I wouldn't trust it. Most of the presumed causes of HITH disease are from live foods. They might be carrying some other parasites too.

You could always quarantine them.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I wouldn't trust it. Most of the presumed causes of HITH disease are from live foods. They might be carrying some other parasites too.

You could always quarantine them.

+1
Why take the chance when you could just feed them pellets/flakes.
It would save a precious little minnow a **** of a time too!

And oscars don't actually eat minnows in the wild (apparently).

Oscars are not designed to hunt fish.

Where do you guys get your information from? Oscars eat fish in the wild, it may not be a major role in their diet but they are opportunistic feeders and will attack smaller fish. STOP giving information that is wrong, people are looking for facts not inaccurate nonsense.

Last edited:
I never said Oscars don't eat fish I just said they are not fish hunters , which they are not. They are as you said, opportunistic feeders.

I have an 11 inch tiger oscar and whether they eat minnows or not in the wild, I would NEVER feed mine live fish.

HUKIT said:
Where do you guys get your information from? Oscars eat fish in the wild, it may not be a major role in their diet but they are opportunistic feeders and will attack smaller fish. STOP giving information that is wrong, people are looking for facts not inaccurate nonsense.

Well said, and could not agree more Hukit!!

It was determined that it would be better that he didn't feed it minnows. So whether he thinks they do in the wild or not is completely irrelevant.

It was determined that it would be better that he didn't feed it minnows. So whether he thinks they do in the wild or not is completely irrelevant.

The perpetuation of misinformation is totally relevant, it's not just for the OP but for others reading.

Oscars may not be a 'predator' per se, but they are well built to eat minnows, and do.

Unfortunately, one little tidbit of information can be read by others and next thing you know others are saying the same thing, because they read it from a trusted member/knowledgeable member one time.

This happens all the time with all kinds of stuff, especially more technical things. Don't take it personal, it's just an effort to keep the forum accurate.

Unfortunately, one little tidbit of information can be read by others and next thing you know others are saying the same thing, because they read it from a trusted member/knowledgeable member one time.

This happens all the time with all kinds of stuff, especially more technical things. Don't take it personal, it's just an effort to keep the forum accurate.

This forum has taken a drastic turn for the worst lately(possibly due to the release of the app) with less experienced aquarist just repeating poor and innaccurate information to new members asking questions based on what they read or heard without actual knowledge or first hand experience. This has gotten out of hand IMO and needs to stop immediately and the only way to stop this is to call out the offenders. Some posters seem to be racing to be the first to respond thinking post count actually means something but in reality it's irrelevant. Remember quality post count and quanity means nothing.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
The perpetuation of misinformation is totally relevant, it's not just for the OP but for others reading.

Oscars may not be a 'predator' per se, but they are well built to eat minnows, and do.

Yeah, you're right. That's exactly what happened too. I guess ill go by personal experience rather than regurgitating something someone else said.

I understand the issue but I am right Oscars are not pikes. They don't spend all day waiting for a fish to swim by. That's what I ment I'm sorry for not elaborating more on what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom