I think I have to re-home!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok it's been a few days and this is not what I expected at all. My Firemouth's are man handling my convicts! They are chasing them all over the tank constantly an I've notice 1 convict staying at the very top of the tank, then there comes one of the FM's on a mission! Shoots right put of the cave and rams the convict!!

I observed my tank for over an hour to monitor this activity. The convicts and FM's go face to face moving forwards and backwards a few times then the FM rams the convict and chases him all through the tank!! I feel bad for my convicts as to each other they seem ok. The FM's are the largest in the tank, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm going to take the FM's out and bring them to the LFS for credit. I can't watch this anymore.

Anyone have any better ideas? I'm thinking this is probably best.

And then just keep it a straight convict tank.

Usually, I suggest re-arranging the tank decor and plants to help bullying, but in this case, I would just go ahead and re-home. Up to you.
Out of curiosity, how big is the tank?

Ok. Well, I am sorry it didn't work. I would not have advised you to even try it in tank that size though. I thought about a pair of FM in a 55, and I was told that the only thing that could really go with them in a tank that size would be gaint danios or something like that. Sorry it didn't work out though.

umm i think this may be them preparing to spawn. in this case its bound to happen and they are ferocious when it comes to being protective.
u may even find a little nest somewhere choc-a-block with eggs if u r lucky!!
but i think u may have to put them in a different tank or get a plastic egg crate or something as a divider so they can happily 'do their stuff' :)

agreed, but i was more thinking of how his convicts are being bludgeoned atm. any solution is a good solution ha
what you could do if u want the fry is catch some and raise in a breeder net, then in a grow out tank before re-introducing. x

yes. and also what about if the cons want to breed? they will be an issue too. il leave you with that cos there is gonna be a hard decision :(

Done. I took the FM's out and now it's just my convicts. They were getting bullied way too much! I couldn't just sit by knowing that was going on :(

I hope my convicts are happier now. There still lil guys.

Keep on mind that 6 will likely have problems when they get older unless you split them up or have a bigger tank. Maybe not, but keep a close eye on it. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Keep on mind that 6 will likely have problems when they get older unless you split them up or have a bigger tank. Maybe not, but keep a close eye on it. :)

Will do... I'll be keeping a close eye on them. After taking the FM's out I had the urge to rearrange the tank and I added 2 more caves with some rocks I had so hopefully that will help. I was thinking of getting 2 more convicts to replace the pair of FM's I just re- homed.

Will do... I'll be keeping a close eye on them. After taking the FM's out I had the urge to rearrange the tank and I added 2 more caves with some rocks I had so hopefully that will help. I was thinking of getting 2 more convicts to replace the pair of FM's I just re- homed.
Careful. 8 cons is definitely pushing it! They can certainly get nasty when breeding, you can could already end up with problems. I definitely do not suggest getting more.
But, I am not a convict expert. So, you can always ask other people for different opinions. :)

Ok I'll take your advice but I have some questions. How do people keep such awesome convict tanks? My friend has like 12 convicts in a tank and some are like 4 inches big! Is it the size of the tank? Like I get a 78 gallon bow front I can add more convicts? Something about them... I love these guys!

jetajockey said:
No no no more convicts lol. As previously stated you're likely to have issues with the ones that you have as they mature, its almost inevitable.

Anything I can add to replace the pair I re-homed? Or just keep it as is?

I would just keep it as is.
And yes, a bigger tank would definitely allow for more fish with fewer problems. I do not know how long it takes cons to reach sexual maturity, so I can't say too much about specifics, but I do know cons can get pretty nasty when breeding.

absolutangel04 said:
I would just keep it as is.
And yes, a bigger tank would definitely allow for more fish with fewer problems. I do not know how long it takes cons to reach sexual maturity, so I can't say too much about specifics, but I do know cons can get pretty nasty when breeding.

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep an eye on my crew.

Back
Top Bottom