Is this what i think it is ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
If so which one is female and what do I need to know. Thanks :D

This is two cichlids breeding i do not know much about the spiecies but as most cichlids are im guessin the brighter mor colorful one is male n the duller of the two is female good luck

Thanks, I though so :D
The one with horizontal stripes stays hidden and then starts coming out and sees the other it hides... I'm not sure what I need to do but I would love to have some fry :)

This species is a mouth breeder- mother carries the fertlized eggs in her mouth right?

absolutangel04 said:
Wow, you were lucky to not only see them spawning, but to also get a video!

I posted the lower comment twice lol

absolutangel04 said:
Wow, you were lucky to not only see them spawning, but to also get a video!

I know!! I'm so excited!!! This is the 2nd time this month so idk.... Fingers crossed

Cichildlife said:
This species is a mouth breeder- mother carries the fertlized eggs in her mouth right?

I believe so! These are my first cichlids so.. Not positive. Hoping for some info later :)

The blue stripped one looks like a johanni? Hard to tell on my fon... Cool!!! I have a layer of lava rocks ( bought a bag of the landscape ones, wash them good!!) behind my rock landscape in each of my tanks.... My fry like to live in that then they can get in the small crevices of my rocks. They are so fun to watch grow :) Congrats!!!

Bl80 said:
The blue stripped one looks like a johanni? Hard to tell on my fon... Cool!!! I have a layer of lava rocks ( bought a bag of the landscape ones, wash them good!!) behind my rock landscape in each of my tanks.... My fry like to live in that then they can get in the small crevices of my rocks. They are so fun to watch grow :) Congrats!!!

So would it be better to get some lava rock or something instead of moving the female ?

I used to use lava rocks in my tropical tanks too. Everyone has their way of doing things. Its my personal preference, not saying it's right or wrong. I stripped my first cichlid when she had fry and that was it. I love watching them hidden and swimming :) then getting braver and fitting in the tiny crevices of my rock wall...

I used to use lava rocks in my tropical tanks too. Everyone has their way of doing things. Its my personal preference, not saying it's right or wrong. I stripped my first cichlid when she had fry and that was it. I love watching them hidden and swimming :) then getting braver and fitting in the tiny crevices of my rock wall...

I don't really want to strip her... just thought about moving her to a ten gallon or something but if the fry's survival rate is good with lava rock that may be better and less stressful all the way around :D

I'm pretty sure thats what they are, I had one I got from petsmart out of a assorted tank then I looked it up on their website and thats what it was. If so, the female is the yellow.one with horizontal stripes

I've never actually seen a male auratus but I just thought that was one cuz it looked just like my female one. And online it says the females are yellow with horizontal stripes and males look totally different. But idk I'm no fish expert haha. It does look a lot like that picture in the link though

As for survival rate.... Rate I'm guessing is always better for more to survive if they are raised separate. I have so many so What lives lives.... And its been several from each bstch. Till I get my other tank and get some of wendis hybrids... Then all the hybrids will be in one tank....

Back
Top Bottom