Stocking 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking of converting my 55g community into an African tank.

I am thinking of
4 yellow labs 1m 3f
4 acei cichlids 1m 3f
1 albino bn pleco

And I'm not sure what else I could add and would love some suggestions. I would definitely like to add some more color to the tank but am open to anything.
I have a lot of large stones that I can use to make caves and tunnels. I am probably going to keep my sand substrate if that's ok.

What are some requirements that I would need to keep in mind to keep a healthy tank?

Cornstar said:
I am thinking of converting my 55g community into an African tank.

I am thinking of
4 yellow labs 1m 3f
4 acei cichlids 1m 3f
1 albino bn pleco

And I'm not sure what else I could add and would love some suggestions. I would definitely like to add some more color to the tank but am open to anything.
I have a lot of large stones that I can use to make caves and tunnels. I am probably going to keep my sand substrate if that's ok.

What are some requirements that I would need to keep in mind to keep a healthy tank?

I love the way that my Acei and yellow labs accent each other. Most people recommend larger than a 4ft tank for the Acei bc they are active swimmers.

Maybe you could add some maingano, cyno afra cobue, red zebras? Also if you like catfish I really like my synodontis petricola.

As far as a healthy tank goes. Make sure you have really good filtration as all these fish are messy. Keep up with water changes. Feed a low protein diet and don't over feed. I recommend new life spectrum food. I also feed peas once a week. Read up on Malawi bloat it is prolly the most common disease for mbuna.

joel618 said:
I love the way that my Acei and yellow labs accent each other. Most people recommend larger than a 4ft tank for the Acei bc they are active swimmers.

Maybe you could add some maingano, cyno afra cobue, red zebras? Also if you like catfish I really like my synodontis petricola.

As far as a healthy tank goes. Make sure you have really good filtration as all these fish are messy. Keep up with water changes. Feed a low protein diet and don't over feed. I recommend new life spectrum food. I also feed peas once a week. Read up on Malawi bloat it is prolly the most common disease for mbuna.

Thank you so much. Do you mean 4 ft long or high for the acei?

Also what kind of plants am I able to put with the cichlids? Would an emperor 400 be good for the tank?

I really like the cyno Afra cobue. So would you happen to know the number of yellow labs, acei and afra cobue I could keep?

For acei they generally recommend 4' wide tanks because they are active swimmers.

True! I have a hard enough time getting to the bottom of my 90 and what's that 2'?!!

I guess aceis would be out of the question for me.

If instead of acei, I may get Johannis. Also might look into kenyi but I don't know if that would be a great idea or not. Also, I think peacocks may be an interesting add if possible.

My girlfriend is getting baby blood parrots for her 20g long and I may have to keep them after they turn big. Would they fit well?

Why are acei out of the question? Is your tank a standard 55? If so I thought they were 4'?

Oh I thought you meant the width had to be 4'. I usually consider the length to be 4' and thought it needed to be in a 4' by 4'. Or something. It's a standard 55g 48x13x21 I believe.

Yes that would be fine for acei, you'll see them swimming in the upper third of the tank.

Sounds great. So my plans so far.

4 electric yellow cichlid 1m 3f
4 acei 1m 3f
4 cyno afra cobue 1m 3f
4 johanni 1m 3f.

I read it somewhere to keep it 1m:3f. Should I be doing that to all the fishes here? Also, would I be able to add or is it overstocked already? I am thinking of adding kenyi as well 1m 3f.

Just remember that determining the sex, especially if you are getting juveniles, is very difficult. You may need to get a few more of each and then when you ca determine the sex rehome some of the males.

Cornstar said:
Sounds great. So my plans so far.

4 electric yellow cichlid 1m 3f
4 acei 1m 3f
4 cyno afra cobue 1m 3f
4 johanni 1m 3f.

I read it somewhere to keep it 1m:3f. Should I be doing that to all. fishes here? Also, would I be able to add or is it overstocked already? I am thinking of adding kenyi as well 1m 3f.

By johanni do you mean maingano? Get maingano imo. Less aggressive and less chance of hybridization. The male to female ratio is correct. I would personally not have kenyi and would pick a different metriclima. The rest of your stock so far is pretty laid back (providing you mean maingano and not johanni) and the kenyis are know for being pretty mean. You could still add another group of 4 or just add to you existing stock numbers. 20ish in total

By johanni do you mean maingano? Get maingano imo. Less aggressive and less chance of hybridization. The male to female ratio is correct. I would personally not have kenyi and would pick a different metriclima. The rest of your stock so far is pretty laid back (providing you mean maingano and not johanni) and the kenyis are know for being pretty mean. You could still add another group of 4 or just add to you existing stock numbers. 20ish in total

Is there an issue with hybridization? I was thinking it would be cool unless it would unhealthy for the fishes.

Instead of kenyi I might get some red zebras.

Cornstar said:
Is there an issue with hybridization? I was thinking it would be cool unless it would unhealthy for the fishes.

Instead of kenyi I might get some red zebras.

Yes imo hybridization is unnecessary and should be avoided. I think many on here would agree with me. Do you plan on ever keeping the fry? Ifso, and they are hybrids you shouldn't sell them or even give them away. We need to do our part to keep bloodlines as true as possible. It can also be unhealthy for the fry. The males will also fight over females. Your lab male (if you mean m. johanni) will try to mate with m. Johanni female bc the females look similar.

I like red zebras. Personally I have metriclima greyshakie.

Yes imo hybridization is unnecessary and should be avoided. I think many on here would agree with me. Do you plan on ever keeping the fry? Ifso, and they are hybrids you shouldn't sell them or even give them away. We need to do our part to keep bloodlines as true as possible. It can also be unhealthy for the fry. The males will also fight over females. Your lab male (if you mean m. johanni) will try to mate with m. Johanni female bc the females look similar.

I like red zebras. Personally I have metriclima greyshakie.

Thanks, I never really thought about that but it is definitely an interesting point. In this case I will probably not get johannis.

I am thinking about the red zebras, and don't they look a little like the yellow labs? According to google, they look a bit similar and I am not sure if that would be good. Now I have my mind on:

4 Acei cichlids
4 Yellow Labs Cichlids
4 Afra Cobue Cichlids
4 Mangano Cichlids

Again all of them are 3f 1m and I would have a lot of hiding places. This is for a 55g tank.

Back
Top Bottom