Tank Changeover Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyrica42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I currently have a 10 gal filtered tank with one female betta, some ghost shrimp, a whole bunch of snails, an Apogenton plant, Anarcharis, Java Moss, and Driftwood.

I am thinking about changing my tank from a betta tank to a cichlid tank. Don't worry, I will find Berry my betta a wonderful home.

What I need to know is what all do I need to do to make this set-up cichlid friendly. Can I keep my basic set-up pretty much the same, or do i need to subtract/add something (i.e., the ghost shrimp, the type of plants, the driftwood, etc.)

Btw, I am considering upgrading to a larger tank but for now I need to know for my 10 gal. Also, how many small cichlids are able to live together in a 10 gal? I am just mulling the thoughts of a switch up right now, so I am at the beginning stage of my research, so please don't jump on me like they do in other forums. I am self-professed newbie to cichlids, not betta keeping lol.

Thanks a bunch :)

To put it simply, cichlids aren't going to work in a 10 gallon tank period. You may be able to have dwaarf cichlids like a GBR but even then you are limited to 2 in a 10 gallon tank.

They will eat your shrimp and harass your betta. 10 is simply to small. The smallest tank you should consider housing cichlids in is a 29 gallon tank.

Well of course I would be finding my betta a new home anyways. My betta would eat any small cichlids that I was looking at putting in.

How many could I fit in a 29 gal?

Yep cichlids will eat your shrimp and harrass to death pretty much any other fish in the tank. The smallest you should go for a pair is 20 gallons. Although 30 is even nicer.

Back
Top Bottom