Tropheus Moorii (Moliro)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep seeing this nice-looking Cichlid at PerSmart. They have it labeled as Tropheus Moorii, but it does not match what I see when I look it up. These are Tropheus shaped, but black/dark with white/light colored spots. I really should snap a picture next time I am there. They look really nice, but I know better than to purchase without doing homework. I'm looking for tank-mates to add to a tank containing very peaceful Yellow Labs and Ruby Reds.

Sounds like tropheus duboisi to me.They will change as they grow.The spots will dissapear and be replaced by a vertical yellow stripe.The head will be a shade of blue and the dorsal fin may have blue in it.
They can be quite troublesome and boisterous fish and should be kept in large groups with the proper m to f ratio.

garfy said:
Sounds like tropheus duboisi to me.They will change as they grow.The spots will dissapear and be replaced by a vertical yellow stripe.The head will be a shade of blue and the dorsal fin may have blue in it.
They can be quite troublesome and boisterous fish and should be kept in large groups with the proper m to f ratio.

That's it. Thanks!

edit: Say, I read up on the Tropheus Duboisi a bit. Another source states that they have a "mildly aggressive" temperament with other species, and an "aggressive" temperament with the same species. I can understand that adding only 2 or three is asking for trouble, but do you think I could get away with adding just one to a tank of peaceful tankmates? I believe my Electric Blue Hap has the same temperaments. I don't have any other Tropheus at all.

....do you think I could get away with adding just one to a tank of peaceful tankmates?

While probably best kept in a colony of their own kind (and most recommend against mixing lakes) , I've had a single t. dubosi with mbuna's with no issue for years. No experience keeping them with haps, though.

Keep in mind the dietary requirements of tropheus is different from that of an electric blue hap.

Back
Top Bottom