3 gallon picotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hotshotdevil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys so I have decieded to start work on what will be my second aquarium. Currently I have a 72 gallon reef aquarium and after making money from a summer job I have decieded to try my hand at a pico aquarium. I am hoping to keep this tank within a budget of 150$ dollars not including corals. As I have been doing research I have found that there are many different upgrades people add to their tank pico tanks and it has been a bit intimidating. Would I be able to get by with just? I am just planning on doing corals and a small CUC in the tank

JBJ 3 gallon picotope (41.99)*
Aquatop's 15-Watt Nano Aquarium Heater (14.99)
Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Original 5 lb (9.49)

JBJ is a great system and def worth the 40 bucks. In my opinion the live sand isn't worth it. Get yourself crushed coral and just go with live rock. The crushed coral will become live as your tank matures. What kind of light comes with the stock JBJ?

I wouldnt get the live sand either. Go to home depot and get play sand for $4 for a 50lbs bag I know you dont need it but its much cheaper and you will save on shipping if your buying offline. I also have a 3 gallon nano that dose well.

Huffers said:
JBJ is a great system and def worth the 40 bucks. In my opinion the live sand isn't worth it. Get yourself crushed coral and just go with live rock. The crushed coral will become live as your tank matures. What kind of light comes with the stock JBJ?

Well I am glad to hear that people like the system because It was the only nano tank I could find in my price range and I was afraid that might mean it's quality would suffer. The stock light on the JBJ is a 9 watt led setup. So three watts per gallon.

bigben2057 said:
I wouldnt get the live sand either. Go to home depot and get play sand for $4 for a 50lbs bag I know you dont need it but its much cheaper and you will save on shipping if your buying offline. I also have a 3 gallon nano that dose well.

I think I am going to get the crushed coral to have an additional buffer in the tank. With a build this small I am focusing everything around stability. Are there any things in particular that you did that really helped your pico reef? Could you please post some pics?

Yea it's not a bad system at all. And in a tank that size you'll never need to dose anything so don't worry about buying any chemicals. 3 watts per gallon is decent enough for most low-moderate light level corals. Should be cool too see once its up and running. If you have more questions just keep asking! Here's a few pics from my 10 gallon nano.

Attachments

• image-2519532586.jpg
    image-2519532586.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 263
  • image-1179896632.jpg
    image-1179896632.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image-4017042415.jpg
    image-4017042415.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 230
  • image-3573703371.jpg
    image-3573703371.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 195
Huffers said:
Yea it's not a bad system at all. And in a tank that size you'll never need to dose anything so don't worry about buying any chemicals. 3 watts per gallon is decent enough for most low-moderate light level corals. Should be cool too see once its up and running. If you have more questions just keep asking! Here's a few pics from my 10 gallon nano.

Oh I really like your Xenia but doesn't it grow too fast in your tank? do you run a fugue mod on your tank or a powerhead for extra flow?

This Xenia has been a slow grower so far but then again I only bought a frag. I use a hang on back filter as well as a power head for extra flow. The filter is more or less just a place for me to run carbon and I don't really rely on it for filtration purposes. I've got about 12 pounds of live rock in there and that's what I rely on mainly for filtration.

Huffers said:

What kind of lighting is that? It's beautiful with those few corals.

Huffers said:

Looks nice. You really need to do top offs in that tank though... I can see your water level is low and that can really alter your salinity in such a small tank.

I dont know why people think xenia can grow too fast....? It is a fast growing coral, but if you maintain your tank at all then you can stop it before it spreads to parts of the tank you dont want it to. I had xenia and it was very cool, not weed like at all.

Thanks guys. The lighting is a 20 led fixture that provides 60 watts. Made be Beamworks I believe. I would highly recommend it if your looking for a light fixture for a nano under 20 gallons.

Yes the water level is a tad bit low but that is intended. If it was any higher my power head would actually push the water over the top in a particular corner of my tank. I go to great lengths to ensure a constant salinity. Believe me in my tank with as much surface motion as I get I've really got to monitor it closely.

Agreed I'm topping off everyday!! In my 8 gallon. It's a pain but if you don't your salinity will go to 1.028 or higher!! And that's gonna hurt things!

Nice tank btw...

Huffers said:
Thanks. Just curious how much water do you normally use to top off your 8 gallon?

I just add water everyday at the same time. Not much, not even half a gallon. A gallon will last about a week.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Looks nice. You really need to do top offs in that tank though... I can see your water level is low and that can really alter your salinity in such a small tank.

I dont know why people think xenia can grow too fast....? It is a fast growing coral, but if you maintain your tank at all then you can stop it before it spreads to parts of the tank you dont want it to. I had xenia and it was very cool, not weed like at all.

Oh cool maybe I will start the tank out with some Xenia than since my LFS sells it for cheap.

Huffers said:
Thanks guys. The lighting is a 20 led fixture that provides 60 watts. Made be Beamworks I believe. I would highly recommend it if your looking for a light fixture for a nano under 20 gallons.

Yes the water level is a tad bit low but that is intended. If it was any higher my power head would actually push the water over the top in a particular corner of my tank. I go to great lengths to ensure a constant salinity. Believe me in my tank with as much surface motion as I get I've really got to monitor it closely.

Based on the corals that I am planning on keeping doing you think I really need the 60 watt lighting for my tank?

Does anyone have experience keeping marine plants or macro algae in pico aquariums?

I was seriously considering this tank for my nano when I set mine up, my lfs had a really cool tank though so I got that.

What I read about that set up were that you needed to upgrade the lighting and filter.

You could order another of the the same led light that comes with that tank.
As for the filter I would recommend a samll aquaclear.

Zactheninja said:
I was seriously considering this tank for my nano when I set mine up, my lfs had a really cool tank though so I got that.

What I read about that set up were that you needed to upgrade the lighting and filter.

You could order another of the the same led light that comes with that tank.
As for the filter I would recommend a samll aquaclear.

You honestly don't think that the filter and lighting is enough. Like I said I am just doing some soft corals and mushrooms.

Zactheninja said:
The filter, for sure is small.
The lighting might be okay.

I think I am going to start the tank with the stock filter and I find I need more filtration I can always replace it

Hotshotdevil said:
I think I am going to start the tank with the stock filter and I find I need more filtration I can always replace it

Sounds like a good way to go, enjoy your tank :)

Back
Top Bottom