Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evansimp said:
That means a lot coming from you! Thanks :)

Thanks man. Just calling it like I see it. lol 10 gallon reefs can be hard for some people to do but a nice one is a real thing of beauty!

Okay, heres a picture update! Remember, I upgraded to a 20 gallon! Dont want anyone to confuse this with a 10. Enjoy :)

img_2351561_0_57503dedba0e5bdd99e279c10d3d58a3.jpg

img_2351561_1_59a5d15d2c598a4511454365d60c83df.jpg

img_2351561_2_a137736271ff7f5bd6d72ffb4e2a783e.jpg

img_2351561_3_bd67b244be8c7b4d0f16e8931af07fdd.jpg

img_2351561_4_3f8c1e3858f9c8bf000e998b17f437c4.jpg

img_2351561_5_c90d75fe57f805dd332d7d87bb51ff2c.jpg

All of them lol. What lights are you using? Water changes? Are you dosing anything? What's your routine like?

Thanks haha! I'm using odyssea 72W T5 HO. About a 3 gallon water change every week. Top offs with RO when needed. Not dosing anything. My routine is I check on the tank everyday and move anything or fix anything that needs fixing, feed brine shrimp and a mixture of other frozen food daily, I skip a day here and there, and enjoy the rest of the time! :)

I'm gearing up to start a 20 gallon reef myself. It'll take a LONG time to get it to where your tank is though. Honestly, this is such an amazing tank. You have to start entering it in the saltwater tank of the month contests. It may not win right away, but it "will" win before long. I can't see the photos all that well on my iPod (outside ATM) so I'll have to recheck them on my PC later.

Once you're out of brine shrimp you should switch to frozen mysid shrimp. They're way more nutritious than brine. It takes a little less of the mysids to give fish and LPS corals more nutrition. Less food for more nutrition is a big win win. If you aren't already using a vitamin supplement like VitaChem you may want to look into it. Lots of the people who have used it for years will swear by it. I certainly do. It's totally optional.

I'm gearing up to start a 20 gallon reef myself. It'll take a LONG time to get it to where your tank is though. Honestly, this is such an amazing tank. You have to start entering it in the saltwater tank of the month contests. It may not win right away, but it "will" win before long. I can't see the photos all that well on my iPod (outside ATM) so I'll have to recheck them on my PC later.

Once you're out of brine shrimp you should switch to frozen mysid shrimp. They're way more nutritious than brine. It takes a little less of the mysids to give fish and LPS corals more nutrition. Less food for more nutrition is a big win win. If you aren't already using a vitamin supplement like VitaChem you may want to look into it. Lots of the people who have used it for years will swear by it. I certainly do. It's totally optional.

Yours is going to be awesome!!

Thank you for all the kinds words! :) and I will definitely look into everything you mentioned!! This tank is my pride and joy haha!

How many fish are in this tank? I can't
imagine it's more than two or three from the way things are going. I firmly, wholeheartedly, emphatically believe that one of the keys to a great, healthy and easy to care for mini-reef is a light fish load.

Once I get all the equipment in I'll start up a build thread, too. This will be the 6th reef tank that I will have setup (not counting all the ones I helped setup for other people). It's still at least a month away so...

How many fish are in this tank? I can't
imagine it's more than two or three from the way things are going. I firmly, wholeheartedly, emphatically believe that one of the keys to a great, healthy and easy to care for mini-reef is a light fish load.

Once I get all the equipment in I'll start up a build thread, too. This will be the 6th reef tank that I will have setup (not counting all the ones I helped setup for other people). It's still at least a month away so...

My current stock is 1goby/pistol pair and 2 clowns! So 3 fish total! :)

Can't wait to see it!

Just had a scare with salinity. I did a water change any my salinity went from 1.026 to 1.018. I used a tiny bit of the water from the water change to get it back to 1.025. I will keep checking salinity to make sure it doesn't fluctuate. Hope everything stays okay

Did you let the water oxygenate for at least 12 hrs prior to your w/c

Did you let the water oxygenate for at least 12 hrs prior to your w/c

I had it mixing for about 2 days haha with a powerhead and heater. I guess I just took out more water than I thought? I don't know! But I checked salinity this morning and it was 1.025 so im good! :)

Back
Top Bottom