First Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I'm planning on starting a nano tank around christmas (20 gallon) and was just wondering if I could get some tips and tricks by some people that know their stuff. The tank is currently FW and I was wondering how would i go about making the transition (ie. do i need a new filter?). Also what are my live stock possibilities, coral possibilities, invert possibilities, etc. Thanks for answering any questions I have!

On a 20g tank I would highly suggest drilling the tank and adding a 10g refugium. I added one to my 20g reef and it made my life Sooo much easier.

For filtration all you need is live rock and powerheads. Shoot for around 10x - 30x the tank volume per hour in flow.

Stocking you could do about 3 fish in a tank that size. 2 clowns and a goby or blenny are standard choices for that tank. With corals a proper light and sufficient time to mature the tank would allow you to add just about any coral you want. There are tons of inverts that you could have as well.

On a 20g tank I would highly suggest drilling the tank and adding a 10g refugium. I added one to my 20g reef and it made my life Sooo much easier. For filtration all you need is live rock and powerheads. Shoot for around 10x - 30x the tank volume per hour in flow. Stocking you could do about 3 fish in a tank that size. 2 clowns and a goby or blenny are standard choices for that tank. With corals a proper light and sufficient time to mature the tank would allow you to add just about any coral you want. There are tons of inverts that you could have as well.
thanks for the great help. How do I go about drillin the tank?

So, hypothetically speaking i was thinking a black/white clown, maroon/white clown, and a comical blenny for live stock and obviously some clean up crew. Also was looking at frogspawn at the LFS and thought it was beautiful

So, hypothetically speaking i was thinking a black/white clown, maroon/white clown, and a comical blenny for live stock and obviously some clean up crew. Also was looking at frogspawn at the LFS and thought it was beautiful

No mixing clowns. Stick to two occelaris, one black and one orange. Maroons get to big and nasty for a 20 gallon.

I think you can get away with an aquaclear in this small a tank, of course a sump would be better but its not needed. For stock you can go with a pair of clowns, a watchman goby, and maybe a basslet if you do 2-3g wc every week. I am converting my last FW tank (a 20 long) into a SW ATM so i can show you how i do it with mine. For invertabrates a couple hermit crabs, some snails, and 1-2 emerald crabs? Also a cleaner shrimp is a must have in a tank big enough for one IMO.

I think you can get away with an aquaclear in this small a tank, of course a sump would be better but its not needed. For stock you can go with a pair of clowns, a watchman goby, and maybe a basslet if you do 2-3g wc every week. I am converting my last FW tank (a 20 long) into a SW ATM so i can show you how i do it with mine. For invertabrates a couple hermit crabs, some snails, and 1-2 emerald crabs? Also a cleaner shrimp is a must have in a tank big enough for one IMO.
Oh perfect! Do you have a thread i could follow or something?

Heres a link to some blennys and gobys for you-http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+23&r=22&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=20
That was some blennys but here are some gobys-http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+31&r=22+3101&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Yeah of definitely interested!

And yes i was looking at the blennys, they are cool lil' guys eh!

Yep blennys are awesome! My starry blenny is my favorite fish, he just zooms around the tank like a little eel and pops his head out of crevices. Some pics-

image-3634067843.jpg

image-338178509.jpg

image-775203404.jpg

Once your tank is mature enough and has enough algea i would def get one of these guys, mine eats frozen foods so he will be in here until he dies of natural causes or illness, i think you would really like one.

The frogspawn is really nice but I really prefer the torch over it. They are in the same family but the torch seems to command more of a presence in an aquarium than the frogspawn.

I also have a starry blenny in my 20g and I wouldn't recommend it. They get very very large and are really just giant douches. I would stick with one of the smaller types of blenny if I were you.

The frogspawn is really nice but I really prefer the torch over it. They are in the same family but the torch seems to command more of a presence in an aquarium than the frogspawn.

I also have a starry blenny in my 20g and I wouldn't recommend it. They get very very large and are really just giant douches. I would stick with one of the smaller types of blenny if I were you.

Yeah torches are better looking IMO than frogspawn, starry blennys are bad, you may have had a bad time with them but doesnt meen everyone will. + on they get to big, i forgot about that part lol. You could do a shrimp and goby pair? Thats what im gonna do for my 20.

Also heres a good vid on the symbiotic relationship between the shrimp and goby-http://youtu.be/FEslHsv-HF4. One of the most common pairs, yellow watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp.

Any progress on the tank OP?
Sorry but no, right now the only thing in the tank are some FW fish and plants. When Christmas comes i will be getting a very large tank to put all my FW in, then i will change the 20G to SW i believe! Can anyone tell me about salinity and water in the tank when i do start it, thats something worrying me!

Sorry but no, right now the only thing in the tank are some FW fish and plants. When Christmas comes i will be getting a very large tank to put all my FW in, then i will change the 20G to SW i believe! Can anyone tell me about salinity and water in the tank when i do start it, thats something worrying me!

Well your gonna need ether an RODI system or a store to buy RODI water from. I personally love my RODI unit as it allows me to get more tanks and do a WC or add top-off water whenever i want. If your looking into a RODI unit you may wanna check in with your local water facility to see whats in your water. If your unfortunate like me than you may have chloramines in your water and you will have to pay around 150$ more for a unit that has a chloramine unit. I have a BRS 5 stage chloramine unit + which ran me 250$. The average 5 stage is 170$ and the 4 stage is the around the same price. Salinity is easy, youll need a refractometer which can be anywhere from 30-100$. Read the instructions on the bag of salt your useing to find out how much you need to add. Most say 1/2 cup per gallon to get a salinity of 1.023. You want you SG at 1.020-1.027. Also i forgot to show you some pics of my 20 as i got it setup a week ago and am still cycling it.

FTS
image-391205559.jpg

image-3021796355.jpg

All i did was-
20 long converted from freshwater.
I had a aqueon quiet flow 50 HOB
an aqueon 150W heater
I got a koralia 425 nano powerhead for 45$
20lbs of Bimini pink live sand- 20$
Spare actinic blue lights from my 37g i had laying around.
15lbs of live rock

image-3945599139.jpg

I added some media from my 37g to seed the tank too.

And 20g of saltwater, 5g of RODI for top-off.

Attachments

• image-3537003335.jpg
    image-3537003335.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom