First nano tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I removed the false floors and ditch the bio balls and the filter pad. Also took the sponge out from chamber three all are breeding ground for nitrates. I order the inTank media basket and fuge. I love it. Excellent quality and workmanship. In the basket I have filter floss on top, purigen on the second level and chemi-pure elite on the bottom. I change the floss every few day but the other two can be left in for a few months. The floss is cheap to. I got a huge piece from Petco for six bucks and just cut it up. I just put chaeto in the fuge basket just need to get a light for it to grow. I think all the clowns look cool. I wanted black an white and the wife wanted maroon one. Just got lucky I found them together and not near the same size to hopefully stop them from fighting. As of now they just swim around in the currents the koralia 425's make. I am really liking the smart wave. I have it change every 30 min. The pumps are on both sides so it seems to get a nice current affect and I can tell which one is running cause the clowns swim in the current. Now just gotta get the LED lights installed. Kinda nervous cause I am cutting the hood to install it in it and keep the hood so I can't mess it up lol. Convict gave me nice tips on doing do I just need a couple hours to sit down and do it with the dermal. I am going to look this week to see if I can get a big frog spawn or a hammer coral. But after that I wanna just go with frags and watch them grow

Just added my AI SOL last week and can't believe the difference it is making on my corals already! You are going to love it, and your tank. Keep us posted.

image-2109724122.jpg

Do you suggest getting a power head such as the koralia 425, or just getting a Maxijet 1200 and replacing the whole pump that came with it?

Audiew said:
Do you suggest getting a power head such as the koralia 425, or just getting a Maxijet 1200 and replacing the whole pump that came with it?

I did both. But if you are changing the circulation pump with the mj1200 make sure you google cobalt mj1200 they have them on amazon and inTank sells them as well. The maxi jet is made In china now and sucks the cobalt it made in Italy and much better. I have two 425's running now on the smart wave. Every hour they switch which one is on and I replaced the pump.

View attachment 106817

You can see my two and I have the rotating head from hydor on the outlet

Well I have got my stand and tank all in and in one piece. This Sunday I will be making a trip to the LFS to get some live rock and sand.

Audiew said:
Well I have got my stand and tank all in and in one piece. This Sunday I will be making a trip to the LFS to get some live rock and sand.

Nice good to hear

Here is a few photos of the tank set up. What is a good rule of thumb to obtain 1.025 salinity with the reef crystals? The bucket says 1/2 cup per gallon for 1.021

Attachments

• image-2329728529.jpg
    image-2329728529.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 180
  • image-1635957837.jpg
    image-1635957837.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 209
Audiew said:
Here is a few photos of the tank set up. What is a good rule of thumb to obtain 1.025 salinity with the reef crystals? The bucket says 1/2 cup per gallon for 1.021

Honestly you will have to play with it. I would make it in however big of a container you plan on using to those specs and then add another cup per 5 gallons and test to see. You will def be wanting to get a refractometer though. I have the marine depot one and like it and worth the 40 cause the hydrometer can't be trusted. I tested my water with both after I made it and the hydrometer said I was at .035 when I was really at 1.024. Also i wouldn't run the light alot till it is cycled cause it can cause alg to grow and you have nothing to keep it in check.

I do like the rock work though. Wouldn't add too much more. I learned he hard way and had to take some out. A lot of corals come on rock and depending on the size you get it can be hard to put them were u want. Good luck and let the addiction begin

Yea I plan on getting on getting a refractometer just haven't ordered it yet. Is the salinity really a big issue at the moment or can I play with it over the next few weeks? Just testing the light to make sure it all works and man does it get bright. I agree with the rock it doesn't look like that much but I may get a smaller piece or two and put in the fuge

That's a good idea. I just put two small pieces in mine. It isn't a huge deal right now. You can mix it to what the directions say and then bring it up. You just want it stable before anything goes in. If it changes a little now it wont really hurt anything

That sounds good to me. Won't be home for the next week or so. Also with temperatures between 106 to 110 degrees I will sure have to watch the temperature

Audiew said:
That sounds good to me. Won't be home for the next week or so. Also with temperatures between 106 to 110 degrees I will sure have to watch the temperature

Holy crap. Yes that is really high.

Yep it sure is but I like to keep the house around 70 (imagine that electric bill lol) hopefully we will get a break next week but no end in sight as of yet

It cleared up quite a bit by this morning.

Attachments

• image-1220726494.jpg
    image-1220726494.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 217
Today I ordered moonlighting, a refractometer, and a test kit. Hopefully it all will be in by the end of the week!

Audiew said:
Today I ordered moonlighting, a refractometer, and a test kit. Hopefully it all will be in by the end of the week!

Where did you order your moonlight from? I need to get better ones the ones on my t5 fixture just don't cut it.

Seems like everything is going well. I also started my first sw nano tank.

Every time I prepare a water change I have a water jug that I mix ahead of time. I usually use half cup salt for every gallon of water.

Good luck with everything

Masoniac said:
Where did you order your moonlight from? I need to get better ones the ones on my t5 fixture just don't cut it.

I actually ordered mine from Amazon. I looked around everywhere but the price was not comparable. I believe they are called r2 or something? However the reviews were great and said for a 29 gallon they were not to bright and were just right for the depth.

ahoDMV said:
Seems like everything is going well. I also started my first sw nano tank.

Every time I prepare a water change I have a water jug that I mix ahead of time. I usually use half cup salt for every gallon of water.

Good luck with everything

Yes everything has been coming along nicely! I have bought 5 gallon buckets from a local tractor supply place and just cleaned them real well. They work perfect and even have lids. Let me know how yours is coming and post pictures!

Back
Top Bottom