First nano tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Audiew said:
Just bought a biocube 29 hqi, can't wait to set it up

Nice. Just going to have to watch the heat. They are known to make the water temp go up to high

I was afraid of that at first but after extensive amounts of threads, articles and the likes. I think it will be fine with a small fan plus I typically keep my house at or below 70. Now just new to get this internship over with and get back so I can set it up!

What powerhead would be a good fit for this tank without breaking the bank?

I have the koralia nano 425 and it moves the water around good. I also put the koralia rotating head on the outlet instead of the nozzle and that helps with dead spots. I got the nano 425 for 31 and the rotating for 12.99 both on amazon. But that is a average price. Down the road u could add another 425 and there wave maker module and have them switch back and forth every hour or so to get the current affect. The wave maker is 45 on amazon. So you could get two nano 425's and the controller for about 100 bucks if you can swing it at once. That's the setup Convict on here had and tank is sweet. He just switched to the mp10 but those are like 240.

Good to hear that works well for you! That was exactly what I was planning on using. Yea I wish I could get a mp-10 but that will have to wait!

That sucks bud. What is it with people getting broken tanks in the mail lately

Well I'm not sure but after reading convicts thread I had a bad feeling lol. Good news is I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes and have a replacement on the way

Audiew said:
Well I'm not sure but after reading convicts thread I had a bad feeling lol. Good news is I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes and have a replacement on the way

Cool. I broke down today and bought the Aqua Illumination Sol blue led module with the controller. Going to gut the hood and install it sometime in the next few days.

That's awesome. Was it very expensive? I have been thinking on modifications.

Yes lol. You got the HQI correct. I was watching some YouTube vids on people that took the AL Sol Nano and put it in the stock light arm that comes on the HQI. Maybe a thought for down the road. I wasn't going to spend the money but it is what convict has in his tank and he got awesome coral growth in just six months. Plus the guy at the new LFS I got it from saw me eyeing this clump of hairy mushroom corals on a piece of nice live rock that weighs about a pound. He was like I'll give that to you for half off if you want it cause u are buying the Al SOL. So I grabbed that too. Has about 15 heads on it for 25 bucks. I just put the inTank media basket and refugium in mine today. I would def say look into those.

Oh yea I just looked those up ouch... Lol sounds like you got some awesome coral though I really like mushrooms. Yea I have the HQI it has a refugium built in which is nice it just needs a small light for it. However I haven't decided of I just wanna put more live rock in there or what. I've still got 3 more weeks of lots of traveling for my internship so lots of time to plan it out how I would like it

Good news! Received the new tank without any damage, plus get to keep all the extra parts from the other

Sweet extra parts are always nice to have. Got fish in mine the other day finally but patients is key. Now no more for atleast three weeks. Going to do corals now

I believe I read you thread. What do you have in there so far, and what corals are you thinking?

Well I did a fish in cycle like an idiot but it seemed to work. I did 20-25% water changes a couple times a week. So I have my firefish which has been in there and the other day I added two clowns. I was at the store and they had a good size maroon and a black and white one together so I grabbed them. The b and w one is about have the size and they have been together in my tank since they went in. I know mixing is tuff but they were already together and aren't close in size so I think it's pretty apparent who the female will be. I also have a coral banded shrimp which is awesome to watch. When I got the led lighting the guy saw me eyeing this really nice lavender mushroom colony he had with about 15+ heads so he told me he would give it to me half off if I bought the lights so grabbed it. I am thinking a frog spawn and other mushrooms to make a waterfall effect of the down the side of my live rock. Want to get something the clowns will hopefully host. Sorry this is long. My thread has two pics from today of the fish and mushrooms

22engine said:
Well I did a fish in cycle like an idiot but it seemed to work. I did 20-25% water changes a couple times a week. So I have my firefish which has been in there and the other day I added two clowns. I was at the store and they had a good size maroon and a black and white one together so I grabbed them. The b and w one is about have the size and they have been together in my tank since they went in. I know mixing is tuff but they were already together and aren't close in size so I think it's pretty apparent who the female will be. I also have a coral banded shrimp which is awesome to watch. When I got the led lighting the guy saw me eyeing this really nice lavender mushroom colony he had with about 15+ heads so he told me he would give it to me half off if I bought the lights so grabbed it. I am thinking a frog spawn and other mushrooms to make a waterfall effect of the down the side of my live rock. Want to get something the clowns will hopefully host. Sorry this is long. My thread has two pics from today of the fish and mushrooms

Oh no I enjoy the conversation! Did you change the stock filter? I know I have read people doing it but I couldn't remember what they used. I really like the b and w ones but I'm thinking of going with just the orange and white pair ocellaris?? I have seen many frogspawn and I'm for sure wanting to get mushroom and haven't decided on the shrimp/crab/CUC in general yet

Back
Top Bottom