Greenturtle's Biocube 29 Build Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Kenya tree was closed for days when I first had gotten and would barely open up a few days later but now it's spreads out 3-4x it's size when it opens up

Ibrahim said:
My Kenya tree was closed for days when I first had gotten and would barely open up a few days later but now it's spreads out 3-4x it's size when it opens up

Thank you! I was getting kinda worried. It was pretty big in the LFS, so I know what size to expect it to be.

We have a problem :( there has been brown-stringy stuff growing of of my Kenya Tree Coral. I included a picture. Any ideas on what it could be, how to remove it, and why it is there? None of my other corals have it.

Attachments

• image-3766827051.jpg
    image-3766827051.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 138
Greenturtle said:
We have a problem :( there has been brown-stringy stuff growing of of my Kenya Tree Coral. I included a picture. Any ideas on what it could be, how to remove it, and why it is there? None of my other corals have it.

I could be wrong, but dont all corals do this from time to time? My frogspawn did it, and my toadstool shed a clear layer.

Hopefully its ok!

It's definitely not BJD, I had that on a frogspawn a few weeks ago in my 90 gallon tank and it looks nothing like it. I tried reading up on dinoflagellates, and aren't they the symbiotic zoozanthellae (sp?) in the coral? If it is exiting the coral, then it would die from not enough light. I don't think Dino is the problem, it just looks like it is "shedding" it's outer shell. Plus, it looks a LOT larger then it usually does. Thank you guys for the quick help, *fingers crossed*

p.s. this frag was only $20, so it isn't the biggest problem if it dies. I got a really good deal on it though, so I hope it stays healthy.

Greenturtle said:
It's definitely not BJD, I had that on a frogspawn a few weeks ago in my 90 gallon tank and it looks nothing like it. I tried reading up on dinoflagellates, and aren't they the symbiotic zoozanthellae (sp?) in the coral? If it is exiting the coral, then it would die from not enough light. I don't think Dino is the problem, it just looks like it is "shedding" it's outer shell. Plus, it looks a LOT larger then it usually does. Thank you guys for the quick help, *fingers crossed*

p.s. this frag was only $20, so it isn't the biggest problem if it dies. I got a really good deal on it though, so I hope it stays healthy.

Hopefully it is just shedding! It looks like it, and if its bigger then thats a sign:)

Dino will cover anything and everything. When my lights go off and turn back on there's even more. I'm taking down my tank because of it since it literally suffocated my coral to death. It's even on my snails, crabs, and shrimp

Also I've never seen my kenya tree shed. I've had it since it was a 1" frag until now where it has two 7-8" stalks. My Dino is on that too. I'll get pictures when I get home.

Sucks about your dino :( at least I dont think it's on my Kenya Tree. It is pretty expanded right now, much more than it had been since I brought it home.

Attachments

• image-725711093.jpg
    image-725711093.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 146
The Kenya Tree is fully extended now, and it's huge!!! Definitely worth $20!

Attachments

• image-1075667973.jpg
    image-1075667973.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 151
My Kenyan tree took a week to settle down. Now 5 weeks later, both frags are 2x the size they were. In the morning when the lights come on they look like there is no way they will recover, but they always do.

I was moving the corals around today and saw an aptasia anemone on the bak of the White Pom Pom Xenia. :'( What is the best way to get rid of them in your opinions?

Aptasia X worked wonders for the majanoes in my tank - should work even better for aptasia

I just ordered some stuff from saltwaterfish.com, including Aptasia X, an ORA Green-Tip Toadstool, and a Torch Coral frag.

My Pom-Pom Xenia is looking worse and worse, probably because the aptasia is constantly stinging it. I hope the Aptasia X comes quickly so I can save the coral :(

It started snowing this morning (first time this year in Richmond). Will this delay the saltwaterfish.com shipment? They would need to have a TON of heat packs, and a lot of stuff would be dead anyways.

Back
Top Bottom