Looking to start my first nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, Ive been in the hobby of aquaria for several years now. Doing just freshwater. I think its time I got my feet wet (pardon the pun) in saltwater. So, I was thinking of doing a smaller saltwater tank, perhaps 10 gallons, perhaps 29, who knows... That's what I need you guys for, If you could, It would be awesome for one of you (or two, or three) to make a list of components I may need and possible recommendations for parts. Also some resources on the proper steps to take on the road to the promised land may prove helpful. I'm leaning more towards the 29 gallon now, after learning about many limitations a 10 gallon may have, but it all depends on price. Thanks for your input, and always appreciated opinions.
Best,
Skenny

I have a two month old Biocube 29. I love it. Out of the box, it works well and you can be successful. However, there are also many upgrades you can do. The stock lighting is ok (IMO, it's a little weak). Personally, you can and should upgrade the stock lighting to LED's. You can either do a DIY upgrade, buy a retro fit or ditch the hood and get an LED strip light. I went with Steve's LED retro fit kit (fits directly into the stock hood). Home Page . You can grow any coral you want with these lights. They also come with dimmable switches. You should also get at least one extra power head for extra flow.

Hey, I was actually thinking about maybe even doing a 40b tank. I'm really more interested in building it myself rather than doing a complete system like a biocube. I made another thread over on getting started, in case a 40b is not considered nano any more.

Back
Top Bottom