My First Nano Reef -12g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blasterx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well my numbers for today are Ammo: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate 12.5
Keep in mind I setup the tank and live sand on Sunday morning, the live rock on Monday afternoon. Does this cycle seems really really fast or is it just me? I have been using Biozyme, perhaps that helped.
Also today I added a Hydor Koralia nano pump, I assume that one will be enough for a 12g but your advice is welcome on this issue.
I got out my Nikon D70, my tripod and remote flash and snapped some shots. I'll get more when we see some color. And a mag float to clean the glass with ;) Note I also scaled down the res to fit in the forum.

Taken today 9/12/08:

DSC_7873.JPG

DSC_7874.JPG

DSC_7877.JPG

DSC_7878.JPG

DSC_7879.JPG

DSC_7880.JPG

I dont think it has cycled. Did you get any readings showing your ammonia was up and then back down and then your nitrite up and back down. Usually this takes about a month to do. I would give it more time to see.

Yes.
9/9/2008..
PH 8
Ammo: 0.75
Nitrite: 0.8

9/10/08..
ph 8
ammo 0.25
trite 0.3
trate 25

9/11/08..
ph 8
ammo 0
trite 0.3
trate 25

9/12/08..
ph 8
ammo 0
trite 0
trate 12.5

Each test every 24 hours (give or take an hour).
I did put in bio-activ live sand which claims "instant cycle" which I just don't believe, but this seems to be pretty fast, I'm not sure what to make of it but I don't plan on adding anything till I am sure it's cycled.

I'm going to take a sample to my LFS and have them test it also, maybe my test supplies are no good?

If the live rock was already pre-cured that tends to help speed up the cycle since it already has a fairly large population of bacteria grown. I would get the water double checked by the LFS. Over the next couple of days i would add something to create some ammonia (a normal feeding portion will do) and keep a close eye on the levels. If your system is able to process the food with out showing any ammonia or nitrite then i would say you can be safe in assuming its cycled.

I would wait a few more weeks.....maybe two......and it would be a good idea to take a sample to your lfs....congrats on the new tank........i have one question though.....Is you tank a biocube or a nano cube??? thanks and good luck!

I took a sample to my LFS and they got the same numbers, now my ammo and trites are still zero and my nitrate is almost all gone

Your right it's an eclipse, I had to check my reciept lol

I'm not sure where your nitrAtes are going.
You can add a pinch of flake food and test for ammonia on day 3 and 4 to see if it shows up. If not, you should be good to go.

Yeah, I added a little food a few days ago, ammo has not come back. As for the nitrates I just assumed they became nitrogen gas and went in to the atmosphere, or is that not how this works?

Last edited:
Not positive on this but i believe in deep sand beds/deep in LR in a very established tank bacteria builds up that converts nitrates to nitrogen gas. This takes a very long time though at least in the range of months of being past the initial cycle and all that good stuff. In your case i think it would be highly unlikely that you have that going on in your tank already. So the other alternative is being removed by water changes or algae (macro or other) growing in your tank.

I found some bubble algae last night and quickly removed it. Hope there was no more :s

LOOKS GREAT SO FAR! That Firefish is beautiful. What is the WPG for the tank. I could be wrong but I don't think their is sufficient enough lighting for corals. But that will be a gorgeous FOWLR tank.

I believe it's an 18w lamp, it's the stock lamp that comes with this eclipse tank. I'd like to add something bighter but I'm not sure how easy that would be as there really isn't a lot of room to work with under the hood.

attachment.php

I added my frist frag.

---

Here's some cool shots of my firefish eating:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_8057 [800x600].jpg
    DSC_8057 [800x600].jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_8016 [800x600].jpg
    DSC_8016 [800x600].jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_8018 [800x600].jpg
    DSC_8018 [800x600].jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_8020 [800x600].jpg
    DSC_8020 [800x600].jpg
    122 KB · Views: 176
Looking great. I would surely get a brighter light. whats the width of the tank, maybe I can help show some links?

Everyone I talk to says you need to push at least 4 WPG, but it also depends on what lighting you go with. Metal Halides have better depth penetration, but on a Nano, it's kind of an over expense. I would go with Power Compact and save the money, but still getting enough light. If it was a 55g or bigger, it would be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom