DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obscurereef said:
I don't think the light would be strong enough...maybe just mushrooms and zoas up top...Is that the 4 bulb or 2 bulb light fixture?

Its a 4 bulb setup, I have a 24inch odyssea on my 29G and all my corals are doing just fine, including softies, LPS and SPS.. and that's a 4 bulb setup (96w)

You can grow lots of corals with an Odyssea fixture. The don't produce as much light as expensive fixtures do but they work just fine for the vast majority of corals. Light hungry animals will need to be placed high, which is standard unless you have strong LEDs or something.

If you're mainly interested in growing SPSs I'd look at something different but loads of people do grow them with Odyssea fixtures. If you want something better but not terribly more expensive you can check out the FishNeedIt T5s. I'm a big fan of soft corals, zoas and mushrooms so the light you're looking at would be fine for that purpose.

CorallineAlgae said:
You can grow lots of corals with an Odyssea fixture. The don't produce as much light as expensive fixtures do but they work just fine for the vast majority of corals. Light hungry animals will need to be placed high, which is standard unless you have strong LEDs or something.

If you're mainly interested in growing SPSs I'd look at something different but loads of people do grow them with Odyssea fixtures. If you want something better but not terribly more expensive you can check out the FishNeedIt T5s. I'm a big fan of soft corals, zoas and mushrooms so the light you're looking at would be fine for that purpose.

Yeah I figured it would be.. I'm not huge on SPS so I think id be okay :)

Well got my light n reactor figured out now just gotta pick out a skimmer lol

Okay back to a previous question.. anyone know what else I could stock w a snowflake eel???

OMG get this!! guy texted me yesterday morning and said he was gonna try and clean the tank up for me as best as he could, i was like awesome, i appreciate that ya kno? he doesnt havent to clean it up. So im already happy about that, then he just texted me just now and said he found the Canopy he had used for it!! this is turning into such a steal!! Tank/Stand/Canopy/built in overflow/plumbing/30lbs LR, all for $150!!! ohh im loving life right now :)

Better not miss out on this one! :) wish I had something bigger then my 46 like a 155 bowfront : /

Better not miss out on this one! :) wish I had something bigger then my 46 like a 155 bowfront : /

oh im not missing out on this! lol i might be selling my 180g tank tomorrow night, so if i do im gonna go pick the 90g up over the weekend :) (hopefully)

I thought of turning my 180 into SW but after doing the math and seeing how much it cost just for start up.... yeahh i think ill go smaller lol

DanS180 said:
oh im not missing out on this! lol i might be selling my 180g tank tomorrow night, so if i do im gonna go pick the 90g up over the weekend :) (hopefully)

I thought of turning my 180 into SW but after doing the math and seeing how much it cost just for start up.... yeahh i think ill go smaller lol

Ya once you start getting that big even the water changes are expensive :x

Does anyone know anything about snowflake eels?? What do they go together with? How bout triggers?? I know they're very aggressive, but would they work in a reef or nah?

Well with no first hand experience take my advice with a grain of salt but the eels are reef safe with caution because they may irritate your corals from touching to much and eat anything that'll fit in its mouth. The triggers are very aggressive and with caution because they will eat you inverts I believe. So really any fish that couldn't be eaten will work with them. Hope that helps you a little since it seems you got a black cloud over this thread :x

Mrc8858 said:
Well with no first hand experience take my advice with a grain of salt but the eels are reef safe with caution because they may irritate your corals from touching to much and eat anything that'll fit in its mouth. The triggers are very aggressive and with caution because they will eat you inverts I believe. So really any fish that couldn't be eaten will work with them. Hope that helps you a little since it seems you got a black cloud over this thread :x

Lmao a black cloud is correct!! Lol no one wants to chime in and help meeee.. Grrrr, thank you tho!! It does help a little

DanS180 said:
Does anyone know anything about snowflake eels?? What do they go together with? How bout triggers?? I know they're very aggressive, but would they work in a reef or nah?

Don't have and eel, but have read that they do ok with triggers. Also puffers. Sorry things aren't going so swimmingly for you on this thread, I would be happy to help, but know nothing about sumps or most of the other stuff you've asked about. Lol. ;)

Beengirl said:
Don't have and eel, but have read that they do ok with triggers. Also puffers. Sorry things aren't going so swimmingly for you on this thread, I would be happy to help, but know nothing about sumps or most of the other stuff you've asked about. Lol. ;)

Aww thanks anyways!! At least u guys gave me some kind of advice about the fish even if its very small advice.. I'm patient anyways, its gonna be awhile before I get this tank moving anyways so still have plently of time to research :)

I really wanna do a reef but so far all my stock options are "with caution" for reefs.. :/ if I didn't go with an eel and trigger, what else would be pretty decent for a 90G? I want something big, not a bunch of little fish

Fox face! It's with caution but everyone says they're reef safe :) then add some smaller fish around it to make it the bug main center piece! :) that's what in doing. Engineer gobies I've always looked at instead of an eel but most people who don't know would just assume its an eel. I'm sure there's more i just can't think of em. But check out foxface and engineer goby :)

Khij159753 said:
Fox face! It's with caution but everyone says they're reef safe :) then add some smaller fish around it to make it the bug main center piece! :) that's what in doing. Engineer gobies I've always looked at instead of an eel but most people who don't know would just assume its an eel. I'm sure there's more i just can't think of em. But check out foxface and engineer goby :)

Haha that's so weird.. you commented on my thread and I just commented on yours lmao.. I forgot about the fox face.. might do that as well, but I really wanna stay away from smaller fish, bc I think I'm def doing a snowflake eel and don't wanna risk the "if it fits in his mouth" ordeal lol

How about a dwarf lion fish or a FuManChu? They've been paired with snowflakes before in tanks. I've personally seen it in fish only tanks and I've seen photos in books of them in soft coral tanks.

CorallineAlgae said:
How about a dwarf lion fish or a FuManChu? They've been paired with snowflakes before in tanks. I've personally seen it in fish only tanks and I've seen photos in books of them in soft coral tanks.

I was thinking of a dwarf lion fish as well.. I dunno lol so many to choose from.. I def wanna do corals, there's no doubt about that.. not a huge fan of SPS.. so id mainly be doing softies with a few LPS... could I do a snowflake, foxface, lionfish and maybe a trigger or would that be too much??

Trigger I don't think is reef safe :/ but it sounds great! Maybe get another fish besides trigger. Idk what though.

Back
Top Bottom