DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
baron1282 said:
Agreed!! Saltwater is expensive. That's why I have to wait until I am more established. Were almost talking about 8 to 10 thousands dollars to do it right. I want to do one, but want to be established and living in a home that I know I will be living for a long time.

You got that right! Crazy stuff.. I'm goin to look at the 90G tank today sometime after work and see how it is.. if its it good enough shape I think I'm gonna get it.. just not today, prob a day I have off :)

Is it better to make my own sump? Or purchase an already built sump? Any pros or cons??

heres a few pics of what the tank looks like that im pretty sure im gonna be picking up. Needs to be cleaned obviously, but he said this is a "closed loop" system.. not sure exactly what that means but ive posted some pics to show everything attached to the back glass. He also said he was gonna throw in a couple big pieces of LR that he has no need for, so that helps :)

Attachments

• 90G.jpg
    90G.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 90G 2.jpg
    90G 2.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 90G 3.jpg
    90G 3.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 90G 4.jpg
    90G 4.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 211
i was also wondering if someone can name a few good products like which skimmer? Light? etc. i was looking online and i came across this, not sure if its any good tho. let me know

Odyssea Protein Skimmer

I can't say if the tank is good or not (I am not there. :), but you can ask him to fill it with water and let it sit for a few days before you pick it up. Drain it when you get there, that way you can see if it leaks. Some leaks can be fixed with the right kind of stuff.

I am assuming it's a 90 gallon? Everyone has told me that Reef Octopus are some of the best skimmers. Also If it's a 90 gallon, go with Fluval 06 serious of canister filters. As far as what a close loop system is. I found this for you!

Closed loop system? - The Reef Tank

They talk about it. Does not sound anything really exciting, from what I gather it's just a system that pumps the water out of the tank and back into it for tank flow. So you don't need powerheads. :p

I hope you get more information, I would go to the LFS that you trust and ask.

baron1282 said:
I can't say if the tank is good or not (I am not there. :), but you can ask him to fill it with water and let it sit for a few days before you pick it up. Drain it when you get there, that way you can see if it leaks. Some leaks can be fixed with the right kind of stuff.

I am assuming it's a 90 gallon? Everyone has told me that Reef Octopus are some of the best skimmers. Also If it's a 90 gallon, go with Fluval 06 serious of canister filters. As far as what a close loop system is. I found this for you!

Closed loop system? - The Reef Tank

They talk about it. Does not sound anything really exciting, from what I gather it's just a system that pumps the water out of the tank and back into it for tank flow. So you don't need powerheads. :p

I hope you get more information, I would go to the LFS that you trust and ask.

Well the tank needs to be cleaned for sure.. and if I do pick it up it prob won't be until Friday. Maybe I'll ask him to fill it today and leave it there, maybe even ask him to clean it haha... I wanna try and steer clear of doing a filter mainly bc I wanna do a sump/refugium. Been reading up on how to make my own and I might give it a shot.

I googled a closed loop system last night after I made that post and I came up with the same article haha its pretty much what you said.. more flow & less/no power heads :)

Any good DIY websites on making like a 30G sump?

So I want to build my own sump....

maybe? lol

When it comes to sumps and filters outside of prebuilt ones I am not knowledgeable.
Also I wouldn't push the guy and ask him to clean it. :p He might say screw you and sale to someone else. I think asking him to fill it is reasonable. Maybe put down half and pay the other half on pick up if it is not leaking.

baron1282 said:
So I want to build my own sump....

maybe? lol

When it comes to sumps and filters outside of prebuilt ones I am not knowledgeable.
Also I wouldn't push the guy and ask him to clean it. :p He might say screw you and sale to someone else. I think asking him to fill it is reasonable. Maybe put down half and pay the other half on pick up if it is not leaking.

Lol thanks for the link I'll check it out. N nah I was just at his place last night, he's pretty cool, my age, showed me his other tank that he just put up. I asked if he could fill it and he said, "it'd be tough to fill considering the closed loop system, you'd have to do plumbing first, then fill it or else it will come out the back, you have my word tho man, it doesn't leak, I just downsized"

I'm prolly just gonna get it.. do what I can to try n fill it up and see.. if there's any problems then we'll go from there.. oh well for $150 for tank/stand/plumbing/LR/built in overflow I think its worth it IMO

What r the main sections made up for in a sump? I know one spot is for the skimmer, but unsure of everything else

Most I would say have a compartment for filter sock(s), then refugium (or not), then skimmer, to a bubble trap (several baffles) and finally a section for the internal pump or some room to go to the external pump. Mine is set up a little differently b/c my external pump has to much flow so it made the setup all weird...I'd recommend internal pumps.

obscurereef said:
Most I would say have a compartment for filter sock(s), then refugium (or not), then skimmer, to a bubble trap (several baffles) and finally a section for the internal pump or some room to go to the external pump. Mine is set up a little differently b/c my external pump has to much flow so it made the setup all weird...I'd recommend internal pumps.

Well Im not even sure if I'm gonna be using the external pump that comes with the tank... depends on how well it works I guess

I have a friend of mine thats gonna help me build the sump I think so hopefully it goes well.. should be getting the tank tomorrow or Friday so I'll measure the stand and see what size sump I wanna do

Sorry for the late subscription but I finally made it Dan :)

DanS180 said:
Well I'm in the process of planning my next tank. Won't be for awhile as me n my gf are moving as of next May so we wanna get to where were going first then start the new tank(less to take with us).

My first and main question, is it better to get a tank with built in overflows and whatnot or just a standard 90G without anything? I know nothing about sumps/overflows/refugiums so bare with me as I am a quick learner :)

Next question is, what size sump would u recommend? Protein skimmer? Etc.

Like I said this is going to be an ongoing project, mainly just gathering information at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

A 29 gallon sump will be very sufficient, my 90 gallon at home uses a 30 gallon sump with a bio tower and needle wheel protein skimmer. It's my basic reef tank that I can take care of at home. At work I have a 600 gallon reef tank and I'm working on building a 1000 gallon tank.

Also, if you can afford it invest into LED lights, they will last 10+ years and save you money by not having to replace bulbs every 6-9 months.

Talryn said:
A 29 gallon sump will be very sufficient, my 90 gallon at home uses a 30 gallon sump with a bio tower and needle wheel protein skimmer. It's my basic reef tank that I can take care of at home. At work I have a 600 gallon reef tank and I'm working on building a 1000 gallon tank.

Also, if you can afford it invest into LED lights, they will last 10+ years and save you money by not having to replace bulbs every 6-9 months.

Wow you have some massive tanks lol any specific LED you'd recommend??

DanS180 said:
How big??

Mines a 20 long for my 46 bf cause that's all thatll fit but I would go with a 40 breeder for yours since it has no center brace allowing for more options

DanS180 said:
Wow you have some massive tanks lol any specific LED you'd recommend??

Ai lights are great, but Marineland is what I have on my 90 gal. The lights came with the tank and I figured I would try them out. They work pretty good and are affordable. I've seen them at Petco and Pet Smart.

Back
Top Bottom