DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
Mines a 20 long for my 46 bf cause that's all thatll fit but I would go with a 40 breeder for yours since it has no center brace allowing for more options

I dont think a 40B will fit inside the stand :( might be too wide

Talryn said:
Ai lights are great, but Marineland is what I have on my 90 gal. The lights came with the tank and I figured I would try them out. They work pretty good and are affordable. I've seen them at Petco and Pet Smart.

Okay I'll check em out online :) thanks!

Can't buy the tank this week due to a crappy paycheck :/ so I talked to him n he's willing to hold it til I get paid again so yay for me :)

Well I have one of my friends helping me with building the sump so that's a plus :)

I know I'm thinking way ahead of myself but I have a question... I'm not positive with what I'm stocking the tank with but say I decided to get a snowflake moray eel.. obviously I can't stock small fish with him, so what else could I put in there??

Nobody wants to chime in on this thread?? Id really like a little help before I start anything

I can't help with eels. Never had one and probably won't until I can get a big moray :) hopefully some people with predator reef tanks get here

Mrc8858 said:
I can't help with eels. Never had one and probably won't until I can get a big moray :) hopefully some people with predator reef tanks get here

Nah i hear ya! Lol r u familiar with big setups tho?? Have a question about a skimmer..

No experience going big hopefully soon but what's the question?

Was wondering if a reef octopus 150 would be sufficient enough for a 90G.. its rated up to 125 but I'm not sure if its the same as a filter.. "bigger the better"

Double your aquarium size would be better...I have a 70 gallon tank and a skimmer rated up to 200 gallons! That cliche statement is very relevant.

obscurereef said:
Double your aquarium size would be better...I have a 70 gallon tank and a skimmer rated up to 200 gallons! That cliche statement is very relevant.

Okay that's what I figured lol guess I'll have to save a lil extra dough lol any specific skimmer you'd recommend??

obscurereef said:
Not specifically, but Reef Octupus and the AquaC Remora have excellent reputations.

Sweet, guess I'll c which one I wanna get and start saving up.. also gonna be getting a BRS RO/DI 5 stage unit.. of course, in the future lol what else for equipment? Think I'll need a UV sterilizer?

Some people say UVs are very helpful and some think it doesn't help much. Everyone has their opinion/experiences about this. IMO they aren't necessary unless you have a massive tank (like 100s of gallons). Yes, it is extra security, but whats the probability that all the water will pass through it before the pest can repopulate, etc. It can't get rid of ick if the ick is attached to the fish, or there are pests living on the rock/sand. It's whatever is malevolent in the water and passes through the UV sterilizer. If you want, I recommend getting a phosban reactor (or some type of GFO reactor) and carbon reactor (more efficiency than a bag). They aren't necessary, but they help :)

obscurereef said:
Some people say UVs are very helpful and some think it doesn't help much. Everyone has their opinion/experiences about this. IMO they aren't necessary unless you have a massive tank (like 100s of gallons). Yes, it is extra security, but whats the probability that all the water will pass through it before the pest can repopulate, etc. It can't get rid of ick if the ick is attached to the fish, or there are pests living on the rock/sand. It's whatever is malevolent in the water and passes through the UV sterilizer. If you want, I recommend getting a phosban reactor (or some type of GFO reactor) and carbon reactor (more efficiency than a bag). They aren't necessary, but they help :)

Sure, recommend away, gives me time to research lol

EDIT: specific types of reactors??

Okay another question(although I'm not getting all the responses/answers lol)

Would 216w of light be good enough for all corals in this size tank??? Well mainly softies and LPS

DanS180 said:
Okay another question(although I'm not getting all the responses/answers lol)

Would 216w of light be good enough for all corals in this size tank??? Well mainly softies and LPS

What light fixture are you looking at? These days there are so many types of lights that watts never gives the full picture.

CorallineAlgae said:
What light fixture are you looking at? These days there are so many types of lights that watts never gives the full picture.

An Odyssea fixture

I don't think the light would be strong enough...maybe just mushrooms and zoas up top...Is that the 4 bulb or 2 bulb light fixture?

Back
Top Bottom