Fuge Idea (Yes or No?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 32g rubbermaid sump under my tank. I was thinking about growing some plants for the tang, and also a place to keep the trates down.

I was wondering could I put a 10g tank in the sump, and put some sand in there with the plants? Maybe a small PH in there just to keep the water moving in and out. I am talking about the whole 10g submerged under water. Would this work?

Also what are some good plants to grow for tangs, and to keep down nitrates? Also where can I buy it?

TIA!! :wink:

It sounds like the only option if you wanted to grow macro.
It would work the same way as if you had a glass tank as a sump, and the first section, where the overflow dumped into would be set up as a fuge.
My only thought would be to drill the 10 gal almost at the top and plumb an elbow to reduce air bubbles. Just a thought.

Peace

I think this will work fine. Precision Marine actually makes a drop in fuge for a sump that I considered for awhile. I assume the water level will be above 10 gal and just flow across? Make sure your sump will still handle the water level when the pumps are off.

I assume the water level will be above 10 gal and just flow across? Make sure your sump will still handle the water level when the pumps are off.

You are correct! :wink:

The water level will be fine as well. When my pumps go off, I only get about a 1 inch rise in the water level. I used a overflow mod, that prevents the water from the overflow from draining, and the only water that comes bak is from the return line.

I used a overflow mod, that prevents the water from the overflow from draining, and the only water that comes bak is from the return line.

What mod is this?

Oh, I though me and billy was the only ones that knew about this! :oops:

Sorry. Well I dont loose any water from it. :mrgreen:

I bought my tank reef ready and bought a overflow kit from the LFS. Turns out it was a high priced Durso. I did not know at the time :(

Back
Top Bottom