GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the wattage? IMO you could probably get away with low-moderate light Lps if there up high enough and you target feed.

whats the wattage? IMO you could probably get away with low-moderate light Lps if there up high enough and you target feed.

Given the tank is a standard 29, as it appears to be, then the lighting would be 2 24" 65W bulbs, as PC bulbs do not come in a 30" size.

I know this is a pointless measurement but he's got about 4 watts per gallon. Acording to LA he's good for medium light corals.

Well i only wanted low to medium light corals because the high light corals are WAYY to expensive. So its ok for me :)

SwimsWithFish said:
I know this is a pointless measurement but he's got about 4 watts per gallon. Acording to LA he's good for medium light corals.

Sounds good enough, considering we were pretty much ONLY looking at low lights, think were good? :D if we ever wanted some higher light corals, we could just add another smaller fixture like severilum mama said, right? :)

severum mama said:
You're right; it is.

LA has some good advice, some not so good. Just sayin.

But would we would still be good for low lights- semi moderates? :)

Gboy66 said:
Sounds good enough, considering we were pretty much ONLY looking at low lights, think were good? :D if we ever wanted some higher light corals, we could just add another smaller fixture like severilum mama said, right? :)

Correct, but if you want medium light corals they'll need to be at the top:)

But would we would still be good for low lights- semi moderates? :)

Yes, I listed several corals that should definitely work for you, and I did mention that there are others that I am forgetting.

I think an important thing to remember is that "low light", "medium light", "high light" are just hobbyist constructs that attempt to generalize the lighting requirements of corals into neat little categories. Best thing to do IMO is to research a TON before you add anything at all, like while your tank cycles, etc. Check out some books at the library. Talk to other members here. If you have a local reef club, join up and attend some meetings. If I recall, you're in Cali- I'm sure there are plenty of great clubs there. You are bound to learn a ton just by showing up at a meeting. With our local club, you don't even need to be a paid member to go to meetings so you can just show up at a couple and see if it is something that interests you. There are some great speakers that go to clubs all around the country to talk. It's a very cool learning experience.

*edit* If you two are minors, be sure to get your parents' permission before going to meetings or joining a club. ;)

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Yes, I listed several corals that should definitely work for you, and I did mention that there are others that I am forgetting.

I think an important thing to remember is that "low light", "medium light", "high light" are just hobbyist constructs that attempt to generalize the lighting requirements of corals into neat little categories. Best thing to do IMO is to research a TON before you add anything at all, like while your tank cycles, etc. Check out some books at the library. Talk to other members here. If you have a local reef club, join up and attend some meetings. If I recall, you're in Cali- I'm sure there are plenty of great clubs there. You are bound to learn a ton just by showing up at a meeting. With our local club, you don't even need to be a paid member to go to meetings so you can just show up at a couple and see if it is something that interests you. There are some great speakers that go to clubs all around the country to talk. It's a very cool learning experience.

I am definatly going to research and maybe find a type of public club! But, when i research corals, it doesnt say "yes a 2 bulb 65w would work for this coral." so how do you know if your lights would fit the corals needs. And, if i go to a store, should i research the coral in the store on my phone? Or do you suggest just leaving, and coming back later to buy? Thank you so much for all your help Severum Mama. Im happy you chimed in!!

severum mama said:

*edit* If you two are minors, be sure to get your parents' permission before going to meetings or joining a club. ;)

Hahaha okay we will :) and thanks so much! We will make sure to research the corals! We want some mushrooms and maybe a feather duster? Also very interested in neon green plops

I am definatly going to research and maybe find a type of public club! But, when i research corals, it doesnt say "yes a 2 bulb 65w would work for this coral." so how do you know if your lights would fit the corals needs. And, if i go to a store, should i research the coral in the store on my phone? Or do you suggest just leaving, and coming back later to buy? Thank you so much for all your help Severum Mama. Im happy you chimed in!!
That is exactly what I would suggest. Don't trust the lfs for any advice, and impulse buys should be avoided IMO. It is better to make a list of stuff you like, ask about it here, weigh the advice you receive, and make a more informed decision.

Hahaha okay we will :) and thanks so much! We will make sure to research the corals! We want some mushrooms and maybe a feather duster? Also very interested in neon green plops
Mushrooms and neon green polyps (assuming zoas/palys/protopalys) are easy corals to keep.

Feather dusters are not corals, but actually worms that filter feed using the "feathery" parts. The rest of the worm is inside the leathery looking tube.

Ohhh ok poop! Hahah i want white pom pom and giant green polyp! They are so cool, and i have sufficant lighting!

Im confused tho, if someone with medium lighting bought a coral that needed high lighting, couldnt he just keep the light on longer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom