Noisy Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Whats the best method for cutting the water noise down in a sump. I have a oceanic sump running dual overflows and just today installed a protein skimmer inside the sump adding more water noise. Before I added the skimmer I could close the lid on the sump and the noise was not bad but now since removing the lid it's a LOT louder than I want as far as the water noise goes.
And then theirs the noise of the skimmer pump,it's a turboflotor skimmer and the pump is really noisey as well.
I'm going to be adding a chiller,metal halides, and a calcium reactor pretty soon and I have the feeling with all this stuff running together it's going to sound like a lawn mower running under there so I would like to cut down the noise "IF" possible as I go along. Thanks

Do the Oceanic sumps have a drip tray?

When I did my DIY sump I have the same problem, lots of noise in the sump due to the water flowing in. I've since replaced my DIY sump with an Americale SR100 (includes drip tray) and it's all but queit. Only noise I hear is my AquaC Remora now.

I don't know why the drip tray made such a big difference, but I had heard it would and it did indeed. :D

Thanks for responding, yes it has a drip tray and thats honestly where most of my noise is coming from, I have a mag 1800 pump and their is a lot of water dumping in the sump. I have thought about bio ball in the lower chamber where the tray drops the water but I havnt done it as of yet, I have to do something soon as this Niagra Falls noise is driving me crazy, lol
I did try installing a couple sponges under their but that didnt help much,

What about adding a bunch of lr rubble and small frags in the sump. That way, the water would not be splashing as much. If you pile the rocks high enough, the water would just trickle down the rocks and no splashing. I've done this with my converted wet/dry into a sump and it seems pretty quiet. The only noise I get is from my overflow. I get that "toilet flushing" sound and it while take some time getting used to.

Anyway, here's a pic of a sump with lr in it. (Lando, hope ya don't mind but I used your picture as an example. And very nice nano btw, love the stand!! )
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4919&password=&sort=1&cat=all&page=2
I think you would minimize the splashiing sound by piling the lr above the water line. HTH!

I'm going to try the lr I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon if the lfs had any lr and rubble. Might even throw in a few bio balls as well for kicks, grins and giggles, LOL Thanks

Mine is packed full of bio balls. The only disadvantge to using bio balls is the maintenance. I'll have to clean/rinse them at least once a month. I know many people discourage the use of bio balls but I believe if you keep up with your maintenance you should not have a problem.

I really think this is what is keeping my sump quiet as well since the water is just "trickling" down.

i don't know your set up. I made my own sump. Anyway, I had the same problem. I don't know what a drip plate is but i went ahead and changed my plumbing around to a submerged discharge. It still was loud and I had to add two elbows and now the discharge is still submerged but facing up and the noise is gone.
Maybe this helps.

I collected the outflow of the skimmer into a pipe, which extends down below the water line and releases the outflow underwater. This reduced the splashing noises without any maintenance.

Here is what I did. It's pretty close to silent.
sump.jpg

I have a americle sump as well and I eliminated the bio balls and drip plate. I used pvc to extend the overflows tubes so they end totally submersed. I also used pvc pipes to extend the outputs of my protein skimmer. So instead of it sounding like a 747 taking off it sounds like a 737. Just joking it decreased the noise substantially.

I would do something like Gator did before I add tons of LR or bioballs to the sump.
On both my tanks I have the returns discharge bleow the water line on the bottom with a elbow on the end and it is silent.

My Amiracle SR-100 is extremly quiet, factory setup. The loudest thing I hear is the Remora and I have to be right next to the tank to even hear it.

Could be the way I have it plumbed in, dunno?

Gator's idea seems like it would work very well though.

Back
Top Bottom