Penny in tank - fatal to inhabitants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I was told today that if a penny was put into a tank, it would kill all invertebrates, corals, etc...

Is this true? I know that penny are made mostly of zinc and/or tin and then copper plated. I suppose it is possible that the copper could leach off over time and due damage.

The reason I am concerned about this is that my SW tank is going in a business with a lot of retail traffic and I have no lid for the tank. Should I get egg crate that is small enough not to let a penny go through and cover the top of the tank?

It would take time, and the amount of Copper on the penny probably isn't enough to do much damage, though I would still avoid it. I would try and get a piece of Acrylic to cover the tank. drill some small holes in the acrylic cover to let heat and evaporation out. This is JMO though. Hope all goes well

What kind of business is it?

Peace

Edge

Thx for the response, edgekrusher. I am hesitant about putting acrylic over the tank since it gets hot down here, Panama City FL. Our building is not cooled at night so my tank temp already get up to 82 F with no light at night. This is with a 9" fan blowing across the sump.

I wonder if a screen or mesh would do? I will be running a 250w MH as soon as the tank completes it cycle.

Oh, and we own a retail store here in PCB. Shell Port www.shellport.com

Yeah I think a screen mesh would do, maybe get some type of plastic screen. I don't really like using metals around my aquarium. Just cuz of rust.

Off topic here Biggen, but I couldn't bear to see that Georgia helmet with out adding mine... Sorry!

P.S. can't wait to visit your store, we head over there about 4 times a year...

Off topic here Biggen, but I couldn't bear to see that Georgia helmet with out adding mine... Sorry!

Maybe we will actually beat you guys this year... ;)

As much of a 'Gator Hater" I am, I was actually rooting for you guys to pull the upset last weekend. I am so tired of hearing about Miami.

P.S. can't wait to visit your store, we head over there about 4 times a year...

Come on in. Were open year round.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot....

GO DAWGS!!!

:invasion:

Back
Top Bottom