Powerhead Suggestions...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superfishmonger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my specs are a 72 gallon tank and i was wondering what powerheads would be good to get for it. and how were ur luck with theM? thanx :)

From what I have heard others say and from what I have experienced, Maxi-Jet makes some nice powerheads that are quiet and reliable.

I would go with (4)MJ 1200's on a Red Sea Wavemaster pro. THe streams are nice but are a little to much for a 4 ft tank. If you use sand Your substrate will be blowing all over the place with the stream. You can get the controller and back them down but that kind of defeats the purpose of one.

I would go with (4)MJ 1200's on a Red Sea Wavemaster pro
I had the same setup on my 55g tank but with my return pump rio2100 it was a bit much for the low flow softies in my tank.. I ended up removing 2 of them.. However in a 72gal tank 4 Maxijet 1200s on a wavemaker would be awesome.. You could also do a Closed Loop with a Mag12 and a couple of scwd's And pipe some returns into each corner.. It will make it a bit more eye pleasing..

HTH<
James

Dont be afriad to add flow. Alot of tanks have stagnant water conditions when compaired to the fast flowing currents of the natural reef.

Maxijets are nice because they hold up to the stress of the on/off condtions of a wavemaker.

STAY AWAY from RIO powerheads at ALL cost. Ya they are cheap and thats the exact point. Cheap to buy, Cheap to make, Poor relyability.

captivereefs said:
I would go with (4)MJ 1200's on a Red Sea Wavemaster pro. THe streams are nice but are a little to much for a 4 ft tank. If you use sand Your substrate will be blowing all over the place with the stream. You can get the controller and back them down but that kind of defeats the purpose of one.

I'd have to agree with Darin 100% on this one.

i have both hagen 402's and MJ 1200's i like them both..I also have an aquaclear 4000...but i'm not too fond of it..already had parts break..

Back
Top Bottom