Sea Urchins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never had one but I have heard that they will eat the corraline algea and move your live rock around. Maybe someone who has had one will tell us the deal.

I had 3 hitchiker long spine urchins in my tank. Gave one away. Yes, they will munch on coraline algae, but I think provide a lot of diversity to the tank. I love mine.

They do eat some coralline but I've never noticed a significant difference. They are cumbersome and knock around smaller rocks and corals if they aren't fastened down well but they are great algae eaters. I like em.

We have a long spine that's about 8 inches across and a pincushion about 3". They do have a habit of knocking smaller things over and the pincushion picks up anything small enough to stick to his body(crabs, snails, shrooms etc) but they get around in the rock and clean bad algae really well.

I have a spiny sea urchin. I got him when he was tiny, but he tripled size in about two months! Finally I had to move him into the fuge because he was eating every bit of coralline in my tank (not to mention starving my algae grazers). I think it depends on the type you get. I never had the problem of him moving my rocks around. I would say a tuxedo might be a better choice.

I have a black spiny sea urchin and I love him! He's getting really big, but I 've never had any problems with him moving rocks....He did however, eat one of my feather dusters crown!!!!! Didn't know he could do that...he ate the whole thing (well, what he pulled off). He moves all around the tank, glass and rocks.

I also have a pushpin urchin that is super fast. He moves everywhere and the only problem I have with him is he likes to perch on the airator and moves it sometimes. Otherwise he's a joy to watch!!

They are both great additions. :mrgreen:

I have a purple spiny urchin that came with my live rock. As he has gotten bigger he has become more outgoing but nothing to bad. He moves around a lot but does not move my rocks. I really like him and don't see a reason not to keep him. I think they add a little something extra to tanks.

Back
Top Bottom