Snail Tipping Culprit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,
So lately, whenever I come to look at my tank, at least on of my snails is tipped over, and they can't get themselves back up. I have already had two die because they couldn't get to food because they were tipped over and I couldn't save them!
Anyone know how they are tipping over?
It can't be flow because they are always facing with the current. Could it be my goby?

No snails do that. It's best to add ceriths and trochus IMO they are found in reefs in nature and are able to right them selves if they fall off the rocks

Nope, this is pretty common. It took me awhile to figure out what snails would work in my tank as they always fall off glass or a rock. I spent a ton of my time flipping them myself to keep them alive until I just bought ones that could right themselves.

Well... It's never happened it any of my tanks. But you guys are the experts so ok! Another one just died too :/.
What snails would you recommend?

My turbos and margaritas I think they are are usually falling off a rock or the glass for the first few weeks after adding them. They usually get accustomed to the tank layout and they rarely do it anymore. maybe 4 times a month, tops....

I thought this was when the snails were on their way out, could also explain why you have some dyeing what are your water parameters?

I've had my turbo snail in my 90g for over 2 years and he still falls over, he is not "on his way out", he is just a spaz sometimes. Its not uncommon

Yeah sorry not when it happens once every so often when it is happening a lot I thought this was a sign of that? Could be wrong though

Actually, I have seen this before. They turn themselves over on purpose, sort of like they are giving up. In my new system, there is a lot of what seems to be diatoms. I added a half dozen astrea and 2 turbos to the display, and it seemed as though the brown film was like poison to them. They didn't want to touch it and they just kept going belly up. Now I know it's not a water quality issue, because i have sps corals doing fantastic.
Also, in my sump tank that has a curly-q energy saver bulb over it I have none of this brown algae. i have since put the snails in that tank and they are doing well, cruising around and eating like nothing was wrong.
I have since removed the T5 fixture I had over the display and replaced it with LEDs and the brown stuff is subsiding.
Very odd.

I had a similar problem and found several different causes.

Triggers and even some wrasses have learned the flip technique, but in this case the shell should appear empty.

Some do fall off, that's why I buy self righting snails. :) but it doesn't kill them right away.

But I also agree with Mr_X. Snails may be like roaches, when they die it's belly up. If they haven't been eaten, they probably died of other causes, like poisoning.

But in the case of my snails, they all did this while alive. I turned them back over and they did it again. Now when I put them in the refugium area where none of this brown algae resides, they cruise around like nothing happened.

Yeah, I guess snails are just weird. They have all stopped tipping over though. I could tell they were dead because they smelled terrible and I moved them to a separate tank and they never moved for about a week.

What snails would you recommend that don't tip?

I have looked at several articles so far. Snails are sensitive to their environment, so their ability to stay upright and attached to a surface may depend on their health. They also didn't evolve to navigate vertical glass surfaces, so they do fall.

Back
Top Bottom