switching sand from course reef sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this reef sand, thats like cat litter by caribsea. but i hate the look, want to switch to a sugar sized sand. the sand i got said it was specifically designed for netrification beds? so am i better off keeping it?

can i keep 20lbs of that sand, and buy 60lbs, would that work out well? or will i be annoyed more?

I originally bought this in a hurry, tryin to get my tank all set, and cuz there was a sale at Bigals that opened by me. I bought 100 lbs total,2-40 lbs Caribsea aragamax reef sand. and 1- 20 lb of of live sand.

i just dont like the look, and its bugging me. the live rock in the tank was fully cured before i got it, and my water was originally from the ocean. did not see a cycle.

Im sorry for the such a terribly long post, i never post this long!

Thanks in advance.

Jay D

You can change it out to a different sand if you want. There will be a disruption in the biological filtration by doing so. If you do it, I would expect to see a cycle again. Take some of the old substrate and put it into mesh bags and lay them on the new sand to help seed it. You could also add new sand on the top of the exsisting subsrate but the small sand will just settle to the bottom and you will be left with what you have now.

Back
Top Bottom