1 gallon bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello I want to get a 1 gallon bowl and put plants in it I was wondering if I could put in a male betta or if it is too small a female Is this good ?

Much too small. A one gallon bowl would be best planted, with maybe a few shrimp, or 1-2 ramshorn snails. After you get substrate, a heater, and plants/hardscape in there, there is barely any water left.

No. Some people may say yes, I but I will say no. The least amount of water I keep my bettas in is 3 gallons, I can have a heater, filter, and some plants in that. But 5-10 gallons IMO is MUCH better. They are much more active and healthy :)

Ok if I get the 2 gallon I want some ghost shrimp and a ramshorn snail can I put in a male guppy?

You can, but I would not. They are fairly active and have a fairly large bio load. Also just a warning, only add 1-2 ghost shrimp, they can kill each other over space, which a bowl doesn't have.. A single Amano shrimp and Ramshorn snail could work. I would add a small heater, too. They don't need them, but do MUCH better with one :)

You can, but I would not. They are fairly active and have a fairly large bio load. Also just a warning, only add 1-2 ghost shrimp, they can kill each other over space, which a bowl doesn't have.. A single Amano shrimp and Ramshorn snail could work. I would add a small heater, too. They don't need them, but do MUCH better with one :)

Cool! I'll add a heater
So would 2 ghost shrimp work?

This is the bowl I was going to get along with this air stone with a top fin 10 gallon air pump also would you recommend twice or three times PWC's?
img_2524998_0_c819b716d171aae43eeaca72d5606484.jpg
img_2524998_1_8ae7a00c82af055f090ac29da481ecd9.jpg

Ok so this is my stock, 2 gallon bowl

2 cobra endlers
2 ghost shrimp
1 apple snail
Planted!
Small air stone with 10 gallon rated pump
Water changes every two days
What do you guys think?

I'd say so. The betta idea MAY work... but there is difference between "surviving" and "thriving" but he would live. I've seen some become 5 years old + in a bowl, I'm thinking of doing 1 betta, 2 ghost shrimp, and maybe a small snail like a mystery snail and a mini betta heater and air stone.

Yea I really do want a beta but I'd rather it be happy would the endlers be happier or the beta?

Oh no well that's ok!!!!! Thanks for the help :)

Do you think a male or a female beta would be happier?

ive heard of people using least killifish for planted nano tanks they are the smallest freshwater livebearers in the world and come from the united states so are fairly common they get an inch at adult size

Ok so this is my stock, 2 gallon bowl

2 cobra endlers
2 ghost shrimp
1 apple snail
Planted!
Small air stone with 10 gallon rated pump
Water changes every two days
What do you guys think?

:nono::nono:

Too many fish... Endlers may work. Make sure they are both male.
1 Ghost shrimp
No apple snail. In a proper environment, they should get the size of an apple, or larger, hence their name. A proper size apple snail would be MUCH too large and create too much waste to call a two gallon bowl home.

I would recommend a much smaller air pump. A ten gallon air pump would create waves in a bowl!
And if you want an air stone, why not make it a sponge filter instead? Proper planting/scaping would hide it quite well ;)

Endlers need way more space than that. Not because of their bioload, but because of how active they are.

You could definitely do a male betta though, if you want to do water changes 2x/week rather than just 1x, you could do a female as well if you follow the same waterchange schedule.
All my juvies are kept in 32oz deli cups till they are sold and dont have any issues when I do daily water changes, my breeders are kept in nothing more than 2.5 gallons and are thriving, i see absolutely no difference between them in 2.5's and when I used to keep them in 10 gallons.

If you do a betta, then don't put anything else in. If you do shrimp, you could have 10/gallon without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom