10 gallon build/stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i dont really like micro fish, i think i have room for 5 bigger fish, im a "spotlight fish" kind of guy, which 5 would choose

are there any chcilids that i could get if i didnt get the shell dwellers?

Again, it's about the kind of fish, then the number.
Cichlids other than those noted, need at least a 20 gallon minimum.
Even if tanks were stocked by number, I don't see 5 "big" fish that go in a 10 gallon.

zacheyp said:
ok 3 big fish and 3 small fish, how would you stock?

Stocking isn't just size and number.... it also is temperament and maximum size, and special needs

the question is just to generate ideas, so if it was the fish u wanted, how woukd u stock?

I stock dwarf gouramis and guppies in my 10's, but I'm bias towards those :)
As far as "big" fish, the center piece fish, the most you can have in a 10 would be 1 or 2. There are lots of different combinations.
Try googling "10 gallon stocking plans" and look at the fish that can go in there and then tell us which you are interested in, we can provide much more assistance if we know the kind of fish you are interested in, and see how they would work with your tank.

Have ideas and we will accept or deny. Thats pretty much how its done when questions abt stalkin come up. Haha

maybee you guys can steer me in the right direction
I know not all of these fish can go together im just gonna give a list of fish i like and maybe we can make a stock list from there
Fish in no specific order
betta
goldfish
dwarf groumis
chcilid (hopefully not a shell dweller)

I know not all of these fish can go together im just gonna give a list of fish i like and maybe we can make a stock list from there
betta
goldfish
dwarf groumis

I have a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami now. He is a very colorful fish, but a little aggressive. I have a picture of him, so if you are interested in seeing it, let me know! :). As far as Bettas go, some tolerate other tank mates, others do not. It all depends on their personality, for me, it didn't work out. For Goldfish, they are not a tropical species, so that limits you to what you can have with them. They are beautiful though!

betta
goldfish
dwarf groumis

Okay, now!
Yes on the betta, limited on the tank mates though.
Goldfish need minimum 20 so no.
Yes on the dwarf gouramis, you can have lots of options there.
The cichlids, of course shell dwellers, LOL. I have seen many people say some Apistogramma can go in a 10, I wouldn't recommend it. Also a GBR, although with a tank that small and their reputation it wouldn't work.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I suggest u get 2 dwarf gourmis, 1 betta, and maybe some small fish :)

Just a heads up. I had 2 male dwarfs and a female in my 70g and one bullied the other 2 to death. They can get nasty towards each other. No guaranty it will happen but that's what happened in my tank (even though I was warned and I still did it:().
Edit: I also heard that if they are getting picked on they just sit there and take it until they died. Not sure if that's true or not.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I suggest u get 2 dwarf gourmis, 1 betta, and maybe some small fish :)

Like its been said, bettas are hit or miss if they get along with other fish, and DG's can be aggressive to. And remember theres a pretty limited space to be working with.

you could do a betta and some small school of small tetras (like neons) also depends on temperament of the betta

I had a male betta with a dwarf gourami for years in a 14g. Never had a problem left one another well alone. As for neon tetras with gouramis I would let the tetra get a little size to them before adding a gourami as mine picked them off out the shoal when they were really small.

Have you considered cory catfish? Very hardy and cute fish

I had a male betta with a dwarf gourami for years in a 14g. Never had a problem left one another well alone. As for neon tetras with gouramis I would let the tetra get a little size to them before adding a gourami as mine picked them off out the shoal when they were really small.

Have you considered cory catfish? Very hardy and cute fish

they're too active for a 10g IMO

Back
Top Bottom