10 gallon build/stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zacheyp said:
here is my stocking
1 puffer
2 dwarf groumis
2 shell dwelling chiclids

Listen to what we are saying. This for the good of ur tank, dont try to put too many agressive fish in there cuz it will be a nightmare

I would not advise combining two DG's in a 10 gal. That's a pretty risky combo in a tank that size. As the gourami's mature it is very likely one will dominate the other. Dwarf gouramis often become more territorial and aggresive as they reach maturity and a tank that size isn't going to provide enough territory for two IMO.

Personally, I would make it a shellie tank or do a DG with a small schooler or some livebearers rather than combine the two.

Yes, I do have a pair of DGs in my 10g. It is also densly planted with a driftwood and rock hardscape. They both have their own territories and are generally peaceful toward each other, unless spawning. The only aggression I see out of them is during the courtship process.
Even though it CAN work, I wouldn't really recommend it unless you are willing to make an effort to creating two separate territories for the fish.

If you want shellies you could do 2 shellies and 1 DG. That would probably be fine, although I don't have much experience with shellies.

I would not advise combining two DG's in a 10 gal. That's a pretty risky combo in a tank that size. As the gourami's mature it is very likely one will dominate the other. Dwarf gouramis often become more territorial and aggresive as they reach maturity and a tank that size isn't going to provide enough territory for two IMO.

Personally, I would make it a shellie tank or do a DG with a small schooler or some livebearers rather than combine the two.
I agree. From everything I have read, shellies can still be testy with tankmates, its just that they are so small that they go into small tanks, but if you are going to put them with tankmates, speedy top-dwellers are best who will not be territorial like a dg. Shellies are still Tanganyikan cichlids after all, and I would not recommend them for the average community sset-up.

Just get a bunch of shell dwellers and maybe an otto or something. The dwarf gourmi would be bad if u had more then 1

Just get a bunch of shell dwellers and maybe an otto or something. The dwarf gourmi would be bad if u had more then 1
Shellies and otos are not recommended to go together. Otos should not be kept singly. Also, shellies still get moody while spawning and it is recommended to keep them only with an armored or plated algae eater who can put up with them during spawning.

Oh i didnt no that. How big r shell dwellers..?
There are multiple species that live in shells (about 15 species), but they are all pretty small. At least in some species, the males get a little bigger and the females stay a bit smaller. Still, most of them reach about 2 inches. Some are smaller.

YOU CANT HAVE SHELL DWELLER CHICLIDS IN WITH OTHER FISH! THEY WILL KILL THEM! i segguest getting the shellies or none at all they are very aggresive! Get a colony of them i have that in a 20gal and they are amazing i love them. But i have a 10 gal with neons and a balloon molly in it which i love. Dwarf puffers will work also putting 2 gouramis in the same tank will be bad because they will fight. Just get a schooling type of fish and then a centrepeice fish is the best thing i can reccomend for this tank if you want it low maintance because i find shellies do great when highly cared for. Mine have amazing colours becaause i baby them becsause they are my babies haha. So just try and figure something out by doing research on them and then coming and saying it to us.

Perhaps you should take a walk through the freshwater section of your lfs. Take a pad and pen and write down the species that you like. Keep in mind, please, that these will have to be very small fish as 10 gallons is a very small tank.

Go home, research the species that you've written down. You look like you're really grasping at straws here and just tossing out tons of species names. I think you need to do some hard core research on your own prior to stocking this tank. I'm not so sure that our just telling you "no", "no", "no" to each species you're mentioning is going to make much sense in the long run.

After reading the pages and pages of conversation that occurred last night, I still stand by the advice above.

It appears that you're a) grasping at straws and b) getting really confused with the opinions that are being thrown at you.

After reading the pages and pages of conversation that occurred last night, I still stand by the advice above.

It appears that you're a) grasping at straws and b) getting really confused with the opinions that are being thrown at you.

or C) just being bullheaded & doing what's best for him vs the fish.

If you have tanks other than this one & are responsible you should know how this works, why are you being so stubborn on "I WANT 5 BIG FISH BECAUSE THATS WHAT I WANT" Why did you even come ask? I don't understand. Did you want the people here to just nod & smile as you overstock a tank?

*edit*.. it just occured to me that my "C" is what grasping at straws means lol. sorry never heard the term

Its okay sometimes ppl have to make mistakes before learning the right way to do things. I now know i made many mistakes when i first got my 10 gallon 5-6 years ago

Its okay sometimes ppl have to make mistakes before learning the right way to do things. I now know i made many mistakes when i first got my 10 gallon 5-6 years ago

lol I'm still making mistakes.. but I'm not blatantly ignoring the advice of every single person the responds to my requests

Hahaa ya same here! And ya true ppl have to learn from the people on here of their tank will fail. It was unreal the amount of fish i put in my 10 gal 6 yrs ago..

or C) just being bullheaded & doing what's best for him vs the fish.

*edit*.. it just occured to me that my "C" is what grasping at straws means lol. sorry never heard the term

Actually they are different, as one has to deal with confusion and narcissism and the other has to do with stubbornness and narcissism. ;)

hmm lets see, GUPPIES GUPPIES and more GUPPIES just me personally tho, lol. but seriously, they are playful, but i would go with wild type or endlers. If thats the case, probably around 75-100 or more. run a power filter and go with sand or Bare bottom and that number will work.

Matt68005 said:
hmm lets see, GUPPIES GUPPIES and more GUPPIES just me personally tho, lol. but seriously, they are playful, but i would go with wild type or endlers. If thats the case, probably around 75-100 or more. run a power filter and go with sand or Bare bottom and that number will work.

75-100??????? That's crazy in a 10!?!

00youknowit00 said:
75-100??????? That's crazy in a 10!?!

Endlers may be small but that would look like a feeder guppy tank!
Perhaps we should not advise him to stock that many.
But Endlers are great and are quite suitable for 10g. Lots of people on this forum breed and sell them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom