30 Gallon Aquarium Stocking Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So some suggestions depending on a few things. So in the wild full grown angel fish dine on the smaller neon and very close cousin the cardinal tetra. From my experience I have had really good luck with rummynose tetra's and black skirt tetra's with angels, and both species are really active. Also something else you could try is a pair of dwarf rams? German blue ram is common to find but can be finicky with water peramiters. So if you were to go with rams I would suggest adding them last once u know how your peramiters are going to be and when you have a good cleaning routine. They are fun to watch and very colorful. With angels as well you may want to avoid oto's if it fits in there mouth they will eat it... lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha okay, I'll keep that in mind! So would this be a good stock plan?

2 Angels
2 Dwarf Rams
5 Cories
And 5 peaceful (large) tetras?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, and probably my clown pleco... I never see him so I always froget he's there

I have the same concern about the rams as I did with the apisto... Too little floorspace for a territorial fish combined with cories. Rams will be even more easily stressed by the "intruders" than the apisto, and can be quite prone to disease when stressed. They'd work in a larger tank, but I don't recommend it in one this size.

I'd stick to midwater/upper dwellers or more cories for additional tankmates. Cardinals usually work so long as you add them before the angels and the angels are added while young so they can grow up together. Rummynose also work well, as do Black Phantom Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras. Hatchet fish also make good tankmates, as do Rainbows (stick to the smaller types for your tank size, like Threadfins, Gertrude, Furcata, etc).

I have the same concern about the rams as I did with the apisto... Too little floorspace for a territorial fish combined with cories. Rams will be even more easily stressed by the "intruders" than the apisto, and can be quite prone to disease when stressed. They'd work in a larger tank, but I don't recommend it in one this size.

I'd stick to midwater/upper dwellers or more cories for additional tankmates. Cardinals usually work so long as you add them before the angels and the angels are added while young so they can grow up together. Rummynose also work well, as do Black Phantom Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras. Hatchet fish also make good tankmates, as do Rainbows (stick to the smaller types for your tank size, like Threadfins, Gertrude, Furcata, etc).

Got it, I was wondering about that, I'll checkout the rainbow fish and revise my plan once more!

Are there any South American catfish you'll would suggest that stay small?

Where can I buy that at? My last one caused a bunch of issues.

Check your local fish store. If they don't have it, you can get it over the internet.

Also, regarding the rams, I agree that a pair may get really territorial. I suggest getting a single ram. Single rams will be less aggressive. And even then, don't overstock with bottom-dwelling species.

Okay, let me run this by you'll, what about Panda Tetras?

The only small S. American catfish I know of are plecos (which you already have) and Honeycomb Catfish. I don't recommend the Honeycomb catfish though... They stay small, and are adorable, but are EXTREMELY photophobic, so you'll be lucky to see it once every 6 months. I keep thinking mine has died until I find it during a rescape.

Oh and I don't recommend Panda tetras with angelfish. They're pretty small (top out at 1.5" if I remember right) and would risk being food. Cardinal tetras are as small as I'd risk with angels (max size 2").

Haha okay, I'll keep that in mind! So would this be a good stock plan?

2 Angels
2 Dwarf Rams
5 Cories
And 5 peaceful (large) tetras?

If you want to downgrade that ram number to 1, you will have less chance of 2 pairs of fish fighting and you rarely see a single ram being stressed by cories, that is a very common mix for people to have. I would suggest the Bolivian ram as it tends to be hardier than the gbr. Gbr are known for dropping dead pretty easily, often without much warning. If you can find good stock, they can be great. If you can't, they are pretty frail.
The more pairs of fish you have in a space, the greater chance of conflict when they reach breeding age.
Another quick note, I agree that rainbows are great little fish. But, they are not South American. They are from Australia and New Guinea.
I do not have a better little SA catfish option for you than the cories. Many cats tend to be pretty nocturnal and you just don't see them during the day, which is why they tend to be difficult to find available for sale. The banjo catfish is SA, and a very cool little guy. They are well camouflaged, so when I had some they tended to sit out during the day since they blended in anyways. Though, I would only see them moving around at night. There is the porthole catfish, but they might be a smidge big for your setup and are rather hard to find.
For a larger tetra, have you considered the lemon or diamond tetra? They are bigger and not nippy. I think the ones you have should be fine though. Rosy tetras are not known for being nippy. It is just a generalization that tetras can nip angel fins and you need to watch for it. :)

If you want to downgrade that ram number to 1, you will have less chance of 2 pairs of fish fighting and you rarely see a single ram being stressed by cories, that is a very common mix for people to have. I would suggest the Bolivian ram as it tends to be hardier than the gbr. Gbr are known for dropping dead pretty easily, often without much warning. If you can find good stock, they can be great. If you can't, they are pretty frail.

The more pairs of fish you have in a space, the greater chance of conflict when they reach breeding age.

Another quick note, I agree that rainbows are great little fish. But, they are not South American. They are from Australia and New Guinea.

I do not have a better little SA catfish option for you than the cories. Many cats tend to be pretty nocturnal and you just don't see them during the day, which is why they tend to be difficult to find available for sale. The banjo catfish is SA, and a very cool little guy. They are well camouflaged, so when I had some they tended to sit out during the day since they blended in anyways. Though, I would only see them moving around at night. There is the porthole catfish, but they might be a smidge big for your setup and are rather hard to find.

For a larger tetra, have you considered the lemon or diamond tetra? They are bigger and not nippy. I think the ones you have should be fine though. Rosy tetras are not known for being nippy. It is just a generalization that tetras can nip angel fins and you need to watch for it. :)

Thank you so much for all that information! I think I'm just going to stick with the cories for catfish. I will defiantly look into those tetras, I may keep just move mine into the tank with angels and if they become a problem I can move them back

Oh and I don't recommend Panda tetras with angelfish. They're pretty small (top out at 1.5" if I remember right) and would risk being food. Cardinal tetras are as small as I'd risk with angels (max size 2").

Thanks a ton, I saw them at the fish store and their really cool but I couldn't find a size label. I feel like my angels are either going to eat my tetras or be eaten by them!

When you get you angels, try to get really small ones. This supposedly helps them from eating other fish since they grow up with them.

Another catfish is the SA Bumblebee. Or at least that's what I think it is t. It is another camouflaged fish.

Another catfish is the SA Bumblebee. Or at least that's what I think it is t. It is another camouflaged fish.

That is a good suggestion. They are cool little things. They can be a bit touchy since they are mostly wild caught, but adorable little buggers. They can eat small tetras, but you need tetras big enough to avoid being angel food anyways. :) You will see somewhat mixed reviews about their tank compatibility, but they are worth looking into if you can find them.

Also, don't get the really small angels. Make sure they are at least the body size of a quarter if you can. You will often see those itty, bitty tiny ones, but they have a far higher death rate then a larger fish does. They are still younger, and more frail and a lot of people have very bad luck with those dime sized and under angels.

Also, don't get the really small angels. Make sure they are at least the body size of a quarter if you can. You will often see those itty, bitty tiny ones, but they have a far higher death rate then a larger fish does. They are still younger, and more frail and a lot of people have very bad luck with those dime sized and under angels.
I didn't even know you could buy them dime sized, but thanks for correcting/making clearer.

I didn't even know you could buy them dime sized, but thanks for correcting/making clearer.

Sometimes you will even see pea-sized angels in stores for the same price as a half dollar size. Many of us believe this is just too small, especially for the same price!
You are totally correct though that young angels are a good choice. If you aim at a minimum of a quarter sized body, you should have much more luck raising it without random die-off. Half dollar size is what I prefer to aim for when I can find them. Also, you often see more personality on the older ones. Younger angels all school together as a defense, but the older they get, you can start to pinpoint how they act and sometimes see bullies before buying them.

Sometimes you will even see pea-sized angels in stores for the same price as a half dollar size. Many of us believe this is just too small, especially for the same price!

You are totally correct though that young angels are a good choice. If you aim at a minimum of a quarter sized body, you should have much more luck raising it without random die-off. Half dollar size is what I prefer to aim for when I can find them. Also, you often see more personality on the older ones. Younger angels all school together as a defense, but the older they get, you can start to pinpoint how they act and sometimes see bullies before buying them.

Okay I'll make sure their bigger, honestly I've never seen any at the stores I go to smaller than a quarter, I don't want anything THAT frail! Check out the driftwood I bought today for the tank!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407889050.432541.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407889064.864157.jpg

Back
Top Bottom