55g tank/stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK quick question I had 10 cardinal tetras not to long ago one died on Sunday found it stuck to filter intake i did a large water change the next day had nine as of yesterday there was 8 now today 7 I've looked all around in and out of the tank could the others be eating the ones that died or are they good hiders my first time keeping cardinals really could use your help I haven't had a chance to test yet I will as soon as I'm off work

When I first set up my smaller tank I had a small school of 4 neons. One disappeared on me (the other 3 died later due to a stupid newby mistake I made but that's a different story). I finally found the dead one in a small shell I had put in there when I first set it up, I didn't even think the tiny opening was large enough for the small neons to get in but one did and died. If you have anything in your tank like I did you might want to check in it.

When I first set up my smaller tank I had a small school of 4 neons. One disappeared on me (the other 3 died later due to a stupid newby mistake I made but that's a different story). I finally found the dead one in a small shell I had put in there when I first set it up, I didn't even think the tiny opening was large enough for the small neons to get in but one did and died. If you have anything in your tank like I did you might want to check in it.

Already checked the areas where they might be and checked around the tank and nothing possibly getting eaten would that do it

I'm down too 6 cardinals I still don't know what's going I'm completely stumped about it none around outside of the tank or in filters or in the nooks and crannies are they getting eaten by the others

OK so I'm thinking they have died and been eaten I tested again nitrates were 40ppm did a 75% water change cleaned rinsed the filter I removed the carbon that came with the filters I had a feeling that was the cause for high nitrates I will check again tomorrow also is duckweed a nitrate hog to help absorb nitrates I have water sprite cause I can easily find some around me

Are you adding nitrates? With only cardinals in a 75 I can imagine what's giving you high trates unless you're adding them. It may be poor stock or maybe some fluctuation that's taking them out, I've never been able to keep neons or cardinals alive for very long, even with pristine water conditions. Also, I really don't recommend duckweed in a bigger tank just to lower nitrates, from everything I read it seems nearly impossible to get rid of and I imagine it would be increasingly harder the larger the tank.

Are you adding nitrates? With only cardinals in a 75 I can imagine what's giving you high trates unless you're adding them. It may be poor stock or maybe some fluctuation that's taking them out, I've never been able to keep neons or cardinals alive for very long, even with pristine water conditions. Also, I really don't recommend duckweed in a bigger tank just to lower nitrates, from everything I read it seems nearly impossible to get rid of and I imagine it would be increasingly harder the larger the tank.

Its a 55 and I'm not adding nitrates and since I started the cycle I hadn't cleaned the filter but one time, so I did it again tonight removing the carbon and rinsing the rest in going to be looking into getting purigen since everything I've read is that its better for planted tanks I'm aware the duckweed can be a pain any other nitrate hogs you could think of the might help keep em in check

Will be testing later tonight after I get home from a parade, after the 75% water change last night and and removing the carbon the tank looks a lot cleaner I do believe the carbon pouch had run its course will be looking into purigen here very soon or is there any other chemical filtration media that would be suggested as a good one to use just not carbon

Update time: so nitrate issue was solved plants are doing great growing very well my school of cardinals are back up to ten now and holding steady and healthy also have added 9 rummy nose I'm getting 1 more to round out to 10 I had a birthday deal at my LFS for 2for1 on fish so 18$ for 6 rummy nose with 3 free sounded good to me lol now that I'm thinking of it and looking at my tank its real active near the top and middle I originally wanted furcata rainbows but I've already got a lot of movement near the top and middle so I'm wondering what to do for the bottom I am getting a gold nugget pleco soon I was looking for something like a center piece fish possibly rams I'm open to suggestions just no angelfish I'll post pics soon

OK after cruising around the forum and web I know what I want for a center piece will a Apistogramma cacatuoides work maybe a pair with my current stock 10 cardinals 9 soon to be 10 rummynose tetras and soon to get as well a gold nugget L-81 any opinions on this

Looking good, keep at it! How are you liking those LEDs?

Thank you they're doing good its not high light or anything but its got things growing lol my LFS has a contest drawing going right now for a finnex ray 2 led fixture any size of choice I'm hoping I'll win

I just saw the finnex ray2 lights at my lfs they are awesome lights. Good luck hope you win.

Update since I haven't been on in awhile I've got a stand and hood that I ordered from drs foster and smith moved my tank to the living room and now I'm running a fluvial 405 canister

Sent from my DROID4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom