Ac broke! Need to keep tank cool.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yeah, so our ac is broke, and my tank is getting kinda up there in temperature. How high can it go without killing my fish and how can i keep it cool?

It depends on the fish. Get some ice or freeze some plastic soda bottles and place that in the tank water to cool it down. If you are using ice, place the ice in a ziplock bag so that no untreated water doesn't gets into your tank. If you have a sump...that's a good place to place the ice bottle or bag.
For a longer solution get a clip-on fan and blow that over the water. Evaporation will cool your tank. You will have to keep your eye on the tanks water level and refill will RO/DI water if it's a SW tank or treated water for a SW tank. I hope this helps.

It'd probably be ok til about 84, depending on the fish.. That's what mine went up to when our AC wasn't on. I would try to keep the lights off because that raises the temp.

It depends on the fish. Get some ice or freeze some plastic soda bottles and place that in the tank water to cool it down. If you are using ice, place the ice in a ziplock bag so that no untreated water doesn't gets into your tank. If you have a sump...that's a good place to place the ice bottle or bag.
For a longer solution get a clip-on fan and blow that over the water. Evaporation will cool your tank. You will have to keep your eye on the tanks water level and refill will RO/DI water if it's a SW tank or treated water for a SW tank. I hope this helps.

+1, didn't see that until I posted mine. I think its fw tho, since its in the freshwater forum lol.

whas the chance of that frozen bottle lowering it too much? should i just use a really cold one?

55g, 10 neons, 2 dalmation mollies, 3 guppies, 3 red platys, 6 blue platys, 1 mystery snail, and some MTS

Dont worry havoc, the cold front is here. If you are still worried, what I do is freeze tank water in a bottle and stick in in the tank. That way when it melts, the cold water flows Around i n the tank.

My last post should have read in the last sentence...or treated water for a "FW" tank. I miss typed that,,,

Ice in a bottle will cool the tank much more efficiently than just really cold water. Infact really cold water in a bottle will do next to nothing. Melting ice removes the heat energy from the surrounding water until it is ALL melted.

Back
Top Bottom