African butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering one of these but I'm getting conflicting info as to their aggressiveness from what I understand as long as you can't fit in their mouth you should be ok? How big do their mouths get? Anybody here have experience with them?

I am considering one of these but I'm getting conflicting info as to their aggressiveness from what I understand as long as you can't fit in their mouth you should be ok? How big do their mouths get? Anybody here have experience with them?

I do not have experience with them however I have never heard of any aggression issues unless the butterfly was kept witb something that fit in its mouth. They have large mouths too. I would be iffy about keeping them with anything smaller that a platy.

I have experience with them, they aren't going to eat anything that doesn't come to the top. That said I wouldn't keep them with anything under 1". Their mouth is hinged at the bottom and drops almost completely down. So however big it's head is, is how big it's mouth is going to be. Also don't keep with any other top dwellers

Back
Top Bottom