Air Pumps & Airstones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlanofSmith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 20 gallon tank and wanted to add an air stone along the back wall. I went to Walmart and bought a TETRA Whisper Air Pump rated for 30-60 gallon tanks and a 14 inch AQUA CULTURE bubble stone. After soaking the stone in the tank for over an hour, I connected both air outputs to the bubble stone. Nothing happened. :(

It works fine if I blow air through the tube ... but I am a trombonist!

Do you all have any recommendations for a silent pump and air stone. I selected the 14" because I wanted bubbles all along the back wall. Perhaps that is also not a good idea. I am open to other ideas.

Thanks for the advise,
Alan Smith
Wallingford, CT

Air pumps have to work pretty hard to push any water out that may be in the line. Give it a good blow and then hook it up real fast or give it some time to push out the water.

Make sure to have check valves installed also so no one gets electrocuted.

Yes, I had check valves so that I don't drain 20 gallons of water onto my floor. I had tried blowing bubble and then quickly connecting the hose to the running pump.

What I am trying to figure out is if what I bought should have worked, where I made the mistake, or a better option.

Thanks for the advise,
Alan Smith
Wallingford, CT

AlanofSmith said:
Yes, I had check valves so that I don't drain 20 gallons of water onto my floor. I had tried blowing bubble and then quickly connecting the hose to the running pump.

What I am trying to figure out is if what I bought should have worked, where I made the mistake, or a better option.

Thanks for the advise,
Alan Smith
Wallingford, CT

I also have that pump running a bubble wall it works great and it's in an 80 gallon but I find those big stones are junk and make an uneven wall of bubbles I use those blue bubble tubes I found at wall mart and they look great

Possibly a faulty pump but I would still try the blue tube I will post a pic when I find it

Thanks for the advice. I returned te equipment to Walmart and got stuff from my lFS. I picked the 40gallon TETRA with the single out. However, I don't like the low hum. Is there a SILENT air pump?

AlanofSmith said:
Thanks for the advice. I returned te equipment to Walmart and got stuff from my lFS. I picked the 40gallon TETRA with the single out. However, I don't like the low hum. Is there a SILENT air pump?

Not in my experience you can set the pump on a towel or a piece of styrofoam but it will always have some noise but you will honestly get use to it

my tank sits ontop of a dresser so i cut a small hole in the back of the dresser and routed the cord and hose through there to keep my air pump in the drawer, much quieter now

Back
Top Bottom