Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nativenuyorker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just wondering, I know that two betta males cannot be in the same tank, but is okay for betta's to be included in a community fish tank or must they remain alone?

It really depends on the betta, and what fish you keep with him. Some bettas are fine with other fish, but some will not tolerate other fish.

It ultimately depends on the personality of that specific betta. They are very hit-and-miss in community tanks. Some are more docile, and will allow tankmates, and others will attack any other fish they come in contact with. They make excellent centerpiece fish if you get them to work, but if you try it out I would definitely have a backup plan in case things don't turn out.

I have a female betta in my 55 gal with all kinds of other fish and she does great. There's a pleco, Rafael catfish, 8 zebra danios, pearl gourami, (baby) giant gourami, 2 eartheaters, a baby green severum and my friends brought over 2 parrot fish for the weekend who were getting bullied in their cichlid tank. I know I'm a little overcrowded for now but they are all still pretty small. My lfs told me when they get bigger I can trade them in for smaller fish. I was going to include a picture of her but my computer isn't cooperating. :ermm:

I have had a couple community tanks in my past with a betta and had it work out. Each one is different.

The most recent one was totally fine with a couple fish with him, then after we added a couple more it seemed to spike his aggression. So definitely have a back up plan if you try.

Disclaimer: I'm also fairly new to keeping fish.

yes, you can have 1 male per community. As long as the male isnt overly aggressive, and the community isnt overly active, he should do well in it.

As previously stated a lot of it depends on the temperment of the fish; Betta & otherwise, some fish will pick on the Betta. It also depends on the your tank set up; size, amount of plants & hiding places. My male Bettas are all solitary but I do have a sorrority of femal Bettas with a few other tank inhabitants in a 46g.

Back
Top Bottom