bristlenose pleco laying on his back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently adopted a 2.5-3" bristlenose pleco in my 55 (was getting his butt kicked by a featherfin) and he seems to be doing great as my tank has many more hiding spots under plants and driftwood, and no shortage of algae. His favorite spot seems to be under a huge chunk of driftwood. Several times now, we've found him under the driftwood laying on his back, his mouth upwards but quite a ways from the wood, or any other surface where there might be algae. He eats well, loves the algae and carnivore pellets, and seems fairly active for a nocturnal fish. Is laying on his back normal for plecos?

my rubber lipped pleco does the same thing. i think he falls asleep or something. most of the time he is stuck up against the driftwood upside down, but occasionally he is actually on the sand upside down like he fell asleep and lost suction

Thanks, glad to hear other healthy plecos do this too! Once or twice, noticed him laying on his back, then he'd stir a bit & re-attach himself, but looking at him later he'd be back down on the gravel.
Is your rubber-lipped territorial, or is that just something that varies fish-by-fish? He does his best to keep everyone else out of his area but he's badly out-numbered. Don't think he'd harm any of the fish, have to laugh when he goes after the golf-ball sized mystery snail, but feel kinda bad when he catches my blind blue acara - poor thing doesn't know what to do to escape!

I've only seen him chase a fish once, and it was the betta when it swam down in his corner of the tank. he's claimed territory to the back left corner and nobody else ever goes down there, except that one time the betta did

Hopefully blind Plinko will learn to avoid that area of the tank, which is unfortunately right in the middle of everything. Wouldn't have thought fish could have facial expressions but I'd swear I saw "WTF?!?" written all over Plinko's face!

Ive got a pleco that does the same thing, he isnt huge which makes me think hes not common, but he claims his territory and whats even more funny is when i feed my bp he goes to the top to claim one of the pellets and he floats around the tank sucking on the pellet.. it looks soo funny

if a pleco feels completely safe it will do that.
That's good to hear, thanks! There wasn't quite as much coverage in his last home as what he has now so I'm glad to know that may be helping him.

when i feed my bp he goes to the top to claim one of the pellets and he floats around the tank sucking on the pellet.. it looks soo funny
Pretty sure I'd crack up if I saw Bert do that!!! For now he just takes the carnivore pellets meant for my blue acara. Wish he'd go back to eating algae:rolleyes:

Glad I found this thread. My small Pleco was floating belly up a the top of the tank last week. Wife said, "Aw....Bono died." As I walked over to investigate and remove him he sprang to life and has looked/acted normal ever sense. Must've gotten ahole of a pellet or what not. Weird that he was floating at the top of the tank though.

Glad I found this thread. My small Pleco was floating belly up a the top of the tank last week. Wife said, "Aw....Bono died." As I walked over to investigate and remove him he sprang to life and has looked/acted normal ever sense. Must've gotten ahole of a pellet or what not. Weird that he was floating at the top of the tank though.

My Pleco does that occasionally too. He gets himself upside down at the top to eat stuff that is floating.

My Pleco does that occasionally too. He gets himself upside down at the top to eat stuff that is floating.

*phew*

Glad to hear. I'd hate to lose ANY of them 3 weeks into this. :D

I have thought for the past couple of days that my pleco was int he process of dying... Normally, he is stuck the glass, but over the past couple of days, he has be laying on the bottom and seems like he is on his last leg. I have recently read that maybe he is not getting enough food. My tank doesn't generate that much algae and there are only the pleco and a betta.

Does that seem like it might be because of his diet, and if so, what should I get him? I am hoping that is something that is passing, because my son would be very unhappy if "Bo" was no longer around.

I have thought for the past couple of days that my pleco was int he process of dying... Normally, he is stuck the glass, but over the past couple of days, he has be laying on the bottom and seems like he is on his last leg. I have recently read that maybe he is not getting enough food. My tank doesn't generate that much algae and there are only the pleco and a betta.

Does that seem like it might be because of his diet, and if so, what should I get him? I am hoping that is something that is passing, because my son would be very unhappy if "Bo" was no longer around.

You're not feeding the pleco??

I was not sure what to feed him. I bought him from Wal-Mart, but I was that the same food that I was feeding the betta, would work for pleco. Please tell me what I should be feeding him... I thought he was eating just fine, since he is nearly 2 1/2 time bigger than when I bought him.

I have a 3.5 female bn Pleco, loves to eat sinking pellets, algae wafers and cucumbers!

image-2567934858.jpg

She gets very territorial when food is present, on some occasions has collided with other fish, in actually in the process of re-homing due to this aggression, sad, she's one of my fav's.. What's best for the group though...

I have a 3.5 female bn Pleco, loves to eat sinking pellets, algae wafers and cucumbers!

View attachment 210830

She gets very territorial when food is present, on some occasions has collided with other fish, in actually in the process of re-homing due to this aggression, sad, she's one of my fav's.. What's best for the group though...

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to "Bo" this morning. I guess I didn't do my homework on setting up the tank, and more importantly, caring properly for the fish. So "Troy" (the Betta) is sitting in his tank all alone, and I need to figure out how to make the tank more fish friendly. After reading the forum, I realized that I never vacuumed the bottom (because I thought that was what the pleco was for) and just realized that the filter is disgusting.

On the other hand, by plant is still growing even after it looked like it was going to die, and Troy looks like he is surviving. So I have a 5 gallon tank, which came with a filter of sorts and a LED light. I have added a low level of gravel and some other little decoration plastic gems. For the sake of memory of "Bo", which else should I be doing to make sure that I don't have to do any needless flushing in the immediate future? I will be getting another pleco, because they are cool! And although Troy would harass the pleco from time to time, it seemed more like in good play...

I guess I need to remember to feed the pleco properly, and I have also read that I need to give him some shelter so he can go and relax from time to time. What do I need to properly condition the water? I am also assume that I need to get a vacuum and clean the bottom from time to time. Any other pointers?

Back
Top Bottom