Build up on Snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
my two snails have developed some type of white build up starting from the points on their shell and follows the spiral out. i figured it to just be calcium buildup, but theres no build up anywhere else.

If it is bumpy/pitted whitish looking on or near the spire, it is likely erosion not growth. New shell builds from the opening and often comes in nearly clear as shell is laid down in layers. The color layer is laid down last. Do you have acidic soft water? That can be a cause of shell erosion. Are you feeding foods high in calcium? Blanched/steamed collards, turnip or mustard greens and the like are high in calcium.

What else can you feed that is high in calcium? Someone told me you could use cuttlebone? Is this true?

Some people do put cuttle bone in the tank. I think it gets icky fast and hate the way it looks. I feed a variety of things, plus keep crushed coral in my filter and dose with liquid calcium. I feed 2 types of homemade food (a biscuit and a "jello") plus some canned or blanched greens and of course the snails eat leftovers from the cories shrimp pellets and any flake bits they find.

My biscuits are a mixture of pulverized dog food, shrimp pellets, pureed greens, eggs shell and all and hermit crab food. My next batch will have added calcium in the form of reptile dusting powder (Jurassi-cal is the brand). The jello is a recipe I got from applesnail.net that includes baby food, hermit crab food, fine chopped greens, dusting powder and knox gelatin. The jello is super simple to make and doesn't stink up the house like the biscuits do. If anyone wants the recipe I'll post both the original from applesnail.net and my version of it.

Hovoc, what is your pH? and kH if you know it? That is most likely the cause of old shell erosion. Snails need a more alkaline pH (7.4-8) with a decent amount of kH. In general if your pH is in good range, so will your kH, but not always. You can use baking soda, to bring both up, but that gets tedious quickly. Crushed coral, which is a marine substrate, can be placed in a length of pantyhose in your filter and that will gradually raise your pH and kH as it dissolves. Shell erosion is very common especially in older snails. If the shell hasn't got actual openings in it there isn't danger to the snail. It just doesn't look very pretty.

Feeding good levels of calcium helps keep the new growth strong and crack free. I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my last posts.

Back
Top Bottom